Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Showoff and get DQ'd - Awesome

Moltke

My first DQ.

So this past weekend I went to a 3 Gun competition at the range I'm sponsored by, Peacemaker National Training Center in Glengary WV.

I was the first shooter on the first course of fire of the day, and was happy because I don't mind leading off.

I had just explained the rules to the new shooters, just explained how the day would work logistically, just explained how to shoot quickly and accurately and try to keep moving through the course of fire as much as possible while being aware of the safety rules, 180 line, and what to do when ditching guns.

Make ready, Are you ready, Standy.... Beep!

Shouldered the shotgun and blasted 8 clays while walking down the course of fire, ditched the shotgun and drew the pistol to hit 5 small steel plates... and "Stop!". WTF, stop?!?!

After going 1 for 1 on the clay targets, apparently I had dumped my shotgun into the first dump barrel with a round in the chamber and safety off... then drew my pistol...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going fast, shooting 8 for 8 on the move, on autopilot, ... and forgot the safety.

So my first DQ just happened to be at my home range, with new shooters, after just explaining what to do and what NOT to do. Awesome.

But you made an impression on the newbies.

First they learned that they WILL make sure the safety is on when they abandon a gun and second, a DQ may hurt at the time but its a learning experience and not the end of the world.

Especially good when its a lesson learned at someone else's expense.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Maybe I really should start working on that automatic-on safety we talked about.

If you are talking about the 2011 conversion, I did that to my gun just before my last 3G match.

Took about 20 minutes (because either I'm cautious or really slow.)

It works great.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Any instructor worth his salt knows to follow up with a demonstration. Nice job!

Yay me... :)

That's what I was thinking! You certainly made a lasting impression on the other shooters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Moltke, Sorry to hear about your DQ. I love some of the comments about teaching by example though!

On the fun side, what a great range at Peacemaker. I have been a member there for a year and just recently shot my first IDPA, my first USPSA and my first 3 Gun there. What a great group and location.

I am always super paranoid about that... New to the 3 gun matches but I always drop mags and rack for pistol and rifle and make sure I have safety on for shotgun - yeah I know that I am losing time but rather be in the match than DQed.... Anyway I am not that good to be in the running for top shooters...

• 2 weeks later...

My first DQ.

So this past weekend I went to a 3 Gun competition at the range I'm sponsored by, Peacemaker National Training Center in Glengary WV.

I was the first shooter on the first course of fire of the day, and was happy because I don't mind leading off.

I had just explained the rules to the new shooters, just explained how the day would work logistically, just explained how to shoot quickly and accurately and try to keep moving through the course of fire as much as possible while being aware of the safety rules, 180 line, and what to do when ditching guns.

Make ready, Are you ready, Standy.... Beep!

Shouldered the shotgun and blasted 8 clays while walking down the course of fire, ditched the shotgun and drew the pistol to hit 5 small steel plates... and "Stop!". WTF, stop?!?!

After going 1 for 1 on the clay targets, apparently I had dumped my shotgun into the first dump barrel with a round in the chamber and safety off... then drew my pistol...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going fast, shooting 8 for 8 on the move, on autopilot, ... and forgot the safety.

So my first DQ just happened to be at my home range, with new shooters, after just explaining what to do and what NOT to do. Awesome.

As it turns out this (dumped shotgun on fire with a round in) happened to a friend of mine when we were at the '09 Ft. Benning match...on the last stage...although they let him finish the stage before they checked the shottie...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had 3 shooters DQ for not-engaged safeties in one event last fall. I guess I shoulda given them the full demo like you did! Really though, I know VERY few ROs who haven't DQ'd at some point. I would rather do it in front of noobs than in front of a bunch of sponsored shooters at a big event that all know me. You NEVER live that down! Or, so I've heard.... :blush: