Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Guns Poll, price is not a determining factors

wes777

Here is the scenario.

All open guns cost the same amount, regardless of builder, features, and caliber.

Or, if you prefer, someone is going to buy you an Open gun, and you dont mind spending their money.

So, price not being the determining factor, who do you order from?

I know that price is definitely THE determining factor for me. I try to balance the cost with what I think that I need or prefer.

However, If $$ was not the issue......

I tried to include most of the popular builders, sorry if I missed yours.

Votes are not public, so your sponsor wont know.....

Edited by wes777

Pretty sure they all build wonderful guns...

I would have a very hard time.

That aside, i am in the same boat, money does matter but I am determined to have a reliable gun above all else. I am buying parts(brazos top) and will probaby have a local smith that builds 1911's do the fitting, but that is not decided quite yet. If I can get a well known builder to do the fitting in a reasonable time span I would go that route...

Edited by seanc

At the level you are asking about, it all comes down to personal preference. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. All the top tier smiths have their own style. Pick the one that best matches your style.

JL

I bought my first open gun from a builder frequently recommended on this forum and it was a mess. I ended up having a gun built by a local smith who did excellent work and is in the process of my second one now. Considering that my smith previously worked for Benny Hill (Triangle Shooting sports) I would probably buy a gun from Benny if he was unavailable.

Remember - sponsorship plays an important role in some recomendations.

Voted other, GANs

I was under the impression that he was quitting for keeps, otherwise, Gans would have been on the list.

I heard the same thing a few months back, from someone that probably had one of the last guns built by him.

I'd like to offer an opinion, but having never personally owned or fired a gun from any of the builders in your poll, my vote would be worth nothing.

Voted other, GANs

I was under the impression that he was quitting for keeps, otherwise, Gans would have been on the list.

I heard the same thing a few months back, from someone that probably had one of the last guns built by him.

I'd like to offer an opinion, but having never personally owned or fired a gun from any of the builders in your poll, my vote would be worth nothing.

Yep he is done, but I thought it was a "if I had my druthers" type vote, sorry. That being said, Akai or Cheely, I list them in alphabetical order as I honestly wouldn't want to have to pick.

I bought a SVI once. Never again. It was very nice but they act like they are doing you a huge favor to take your money and wait month after month. I ended up asking for a refund and my, my, the gun was done in a week.