Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What length barrel is your 3gun rifle?

amac

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams Arms 16" mid length. It seems heavy to me but I never notice when shooting it. I just don't see the need for more than a 16" barrel. There's nothing wrong wilt running an 18 or 20" barrel, I just don't think it really gains you much. Assuming you have a rifle that is accurate, hitting at long range is all the shooter, not the rifle or how long it's barrel is.

building a 13.7 with a mid length system now. not sure why guys are worried about accuracy. a 14.5 is a accurate as a 20 in. it may not have the same velocity, but if you have your scope dialed in it should be just as accurate. running some prelim numbers on velocity, i think my vortex razor 1-6 will be dead on the holds with a 3050 fps muzzle velocity.

building a 13.7 with a mid length system now. not sure why guys are worried about accuracy. a 14.5 is a accurate as a 20 in. it may not have the same velocity, but if you have your scope dialed in it should be just as accurate. running some prelim numbers on velocity, i think my vortex razor 1-6 will be dead on the holds with a 3050 fps muzzle velocity.

Not one post in this thread made any claim to a differance in accuracy. It's all about consistent reliability of the rifle and the shooters ability to hit his targets as quickly as possible at all practical distances. Most respected shooters I know, who have used all variety of bbl lengths, will choose a bbl on the longer end of the spectrum.

Not one post in this thread made any claim to a differance in accuracy. It's all about consistent reliability of the rifle and the shooters ability to hit his targets as quickly as possible at all practical distances. Most respected shooters I know, who have used all variety of bbl lengths, will choose a bbl on the longer end of the spectrum.

I agree, but it did seem that a few posts were indicating that they went with a longer barrel so they could hit targets at longer range easier. I was just saying that with an optic, the barrel length has nothing to do with hitting a target at longer range (other than velocity, which would effect hitting the target if you misjudge the range). I also think most guys are going with an 18" barrel with a rifle length system so that it shoots softer. I am going with the 13.7 with a mid system and low mass setup for the same reason. the distance between the gas port and the end of the barrel is short (like the idea of an 18" with a rifle length system) and should have a soft feeling to it as well. since i wanted to use it for mult setups (we have lots more of the 2 gun stuff here), i wanted something a little shorter, lighter and more maneuverable.

No way you will be as soft with that set up and over 3k fps as rifle gas. The pressure is higher the closer you move towards the chamber with the port. With the short dwell time you will have, it will be very sharp. With the low mass carrier, your going to have to be very careful too. A full mass carrier will probably be safer with what you are planning.

I use to run a 16" midlength heavy, got rid of it in favor for a 18" rifle length heavy for more "traditional outlaw" matches and also played with using a Adams Arms 16" mid-piston M4 Profile (went back to the 18"). Next two upper plans are a 16" midlength M4/Gov't profile and a 14.5 (pin and welded MB) midlegth light for some of the short range matches.

No way you will be as soft with that set up and over 3k fps as rifle gas. The pressure is higher the closer you move towards the chamber with the port. With the short dwell time you will have, it will be very sharp. With the low mass carrier, your going to have to be very careful too. A full mass carrier will probably be safer with what you are planning.

ya, we'll see. the guys at JP were enthusiastic about it. i have both a full mass and lightweight setup to try. plus factory and handloads to dial it in and a crono to shoot over. it will be fun. I do have a 20" gun as well, so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out

I agree, but it did seem that a few posts were indicating that they went with a longer barrel so they could hit targets at longer range easier. I was just saying that with an optic, the barrel length has nothing to do with hitting a target at longer range (other than velocity, which would effect hitting the target if you misjudge the range). I also think most guys are going with an 18" barrel with a rifle length system so that it shoots softer. I am going with the 13.7 with a mid system and low mass setup for the same reason. the distance between the gas port and the end of the barrel is short (like the idea of an 18" with a rifle length system) and should have a soft feeling to it as well. since i wanted to use it for mult setups (we have lots more of the 2 gun stuff here), i wanted something a little shorter, lighter and more maneuverable.

You will have fun with your experimentations. Many of us have, and are simply passing on what we've learned. One day the lightbulb will come on and you will understand what we're saying more clearly. As to hitting your target more easily at range with a longer bbl, which is true, your assumption is its due to the Bbls accuracy, which its not. All things being equal, a longer bbl is softer shooting and more reliable as well as heavier. It's the extra weight along with the softer recoil impulse that makes it easier to hit targets at distance. You will never be as steady shooting that little gun at a 400yd target on the clock as with a 18-20 rifle gas gun. Yes I know the majority of 3-gun stages are close but I've been to many a match where a competitor absolutely rocked the close stages then gave it up on the points lost struggling with the long stuff. You don't give up anything on the close stuff with a properly set up, and balanced 18-20" gun.

You will have fun with your experimentations. Many of us have, and are simply passing on what we've learned. One day the lightbulb will come on and you will understand what we're saying more clearly. As to hitting your target more easily at range with a longer bbl, which is true, your assumption is its due to the Bbls accuracy, which its not. All things being equal, a longer bbl is softer shooting and more reliable as well as heavier. It's the extra weight along with the softer recoil impulse that makes it easier to hit targets at distance. You will never be as steady shooting that little gun at a 400yd target on the clock as with a 18-20 rifle gas gun. Yes I know the majority of 3-gun stages are close but I've been to many a match where a competitor absolutely rocked the close stages then gave it up on the points lost struggling with the long stuff. You don't give up anything on the close stuff with a properly set up, and balanced 18-20" gun.

Quote but long barrels don't look as cool. Lol.

Pat

I am running an 18" White Oak Armament for most 3G matches. On the occasional match where everything is set in pistols bays and more of a "hoser" style, I run an older Bushmaster 12" with long flash hider and a C-More. I built the shorter of the two for USPSA rifle side matches back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

You can get 3050 fps out of a 13.7"? What's your load?

Waiting for the answer.

M193 should be right there. 3130 out of a 16" and 3070 out of a 14.5". i figured I would be around 3040-3050 fps

Never guess always chrono. I bet you will get more like 2700 fps but who knows until you chrono.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

M193 should be right there. 3130 out of a 16" and 3070 out of a 14.5". i figured I would be around 3040-3050 fps

Never guess always chrono. I bet you will get more like 2700 fps but who knows until you chrono.

pat

I have a chrono, the gun is being coated right now, so haven't shot over it yet