Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What length barrel is your 3gun rifle?

amac

After reading a recent article in 3gun magazine, I was curious how many people are shortening the length of their gamer gun? I have an 18" setup and don't plan to change. However, the idea of quick, hosing stages and being able to throw my gun side to side is compelling. Anyone else read the same article and plan to make changes?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 16" today but am considering going with a thinner profile barrel or other changes to lighten it up. I was also considering a longer 18" upper for the matches that take me out to 400+ yard targets. I am strongly considering having both a "short" and "long" upper.

I run a JP with a 20 inch and its seems heavy....until the buzzer goes off! I have a new JP 18” but do not plan on playing with it until after this season is over. I think the weight help me.

I've got a 16" today but am considering going with a thinner profile barrel or other changes to lighten it up. I was also considering a longer 18" upper for the matches that take me out to 400+ yard targets. I am strongly considering having both a "short" and "long" upper.

I'm in the camp with most folks here. A buddy of mine shot his 14.5" at last years BRM3G and he hit most of the 400+ yard shots. I was running my 18" and missed them all! :yawn: It has everything to do with the shooter, but it proves to me that a shorter barrel can effectively engage steel past 300. I like the weight and recoil of my setup and switching would require more tinkering. However, I run a 12.5 at my local match and find it very fast. I'm gonna have to keep thinking about this one.

I went from a 20" two years ago to an 18" and really love it. It's short enough for hosing stages or stages with alot of tight ports, and no problems to 500 yds. if I do my part. Don't forsee making any changes at this time.

I went from a 20" two years ago to an 18" and really love it. It's short enough for hosing stages or stages with alot of tight ports, and no problems to 500 yds. if I do my part. Don't forsee making any changes at this time.

personally, i dont see how 2 inches can make any difference at all..for our game.

when talk of going from a shorter 14.5-16 to a longer 18 i see the changes in the gas system making the biggest difference.

personally, i dont see how 2 inches can make any difference at all..for our game.

when talk of going from a shorter 14.5-16 to a longer 18 i see the changes in the gas system making the biggest difference.

Agreed. Managing the recoil difference from rifle lenght to middy or intermediate would be the primary challenge. But it's manageable. Just keep thinking that 80% of most 3gun matches are shot 100 yards and IN.

Have shot a JP 20", 18" and 16". Liked the 20" best of all. Shot it over 4yrs and 8k rounds and it was the best rifle I ever had. My CTR02 18" was nice, but never liked the "feel" as much as the 20". Never had a problem w/ the 20" unless there was a lot of in and out of shooting positions - the 20" could be a little long in tight areas. It was manageable and I preferred the weight when shooting off hand or rested for distance. Tried a 16" for a day and found I over swung targets and the recoil impulse was sharper. Didn't care for it.

Gots to understand the focus of the article was on the extremely fast drag race style of the 3GN Pro Tour, not traditional 3Gun matches. If you get there, maybe it makes sense, but you are going to be tweaking loads, gas systems and other things to get the performance as well. These guys are winning and losing by tenths of seconds, on 3 gun stages that last 30 seconds. Those same guys spread out by seconds on normal 3Gun stages that run 60 seconds and more. Sure, there are 1 gun stages at matches that are under 60, but it is rare to see the top dogs be under 60 regularly on 3Gun stages at regular matches. If they toss those guys one or two stages where they have to shoot out to 300 or so, it might makes some of them wince. Anyway, the "possible" 0.03 seconds you get on 4 or 5 transitions on a stage will add up to less than 1/4 of a second. The time you lose on each long range re-engagement and position will be more on the order of a second each (or more for most 50% shooters).

I'll admit the appeal was there, and I ignored what some experienced shooters told me and tried it myself on the clock, and with scoresheets (which don't lie) and the theoretical did not bear out to be reality.

Gots to understand the focus of the article was on the extremely fast drag race style of the 3GN Pro Tour, not traditional 3Gun matches. If you get there, maybe it makes sense, but you are going to be tweaking loads, gas systems and other things to get the performance as well. These guys are winning and losing by tenths of seconds, on 3 gun stages that last 30 seconds. Those same guys spread out by seconds on normal 3Gun stages that run 60 seconds and more. Sure, there are 1 gun stages at matches that are under 60, but it is rare to see the top dogs be under 60 regularly on 3Gun stages at regular matches. If they toss those guys one or two stages where they have to shoot out to 300 or so, it might makes some of them wince. Anyway, the "possible" 0.03 seconds you get on 4 or 5 transitions on a stage will add up to less than 1/4 of a second. The time you lose on each long range re-engagement and position will be more on the order of a second each (or more for most 50% shooters).

I'll admit the appeal was there, and I ignored what some experienced shooters told me and tried it myself on the clock, and with scoresheets (which don't lie) and the theoretical did not bear out to be reality.

To me, this just demonstrates how comstock (or similar) scoring just doesn't work for 3 gun. I enjoy shooting 3 gun on occasion, but I have never really thought it was as competitive as USPSA handgun is.

I don't claim to have a good solution to this, so I just shoot 3 gun for fun. And it is :)

I don't think you need two uppers. I am running a 18 inch JP with a Light weight profile and I have no problem hitting out to 600 with it.

Pat

14.5, super light. You guys must be much stronger than me to manhandle a heavy rifle all day.

Well for starters your only shooting the rifle for maybe 10 minutes total at a big match spread out over 2 to 3 days and an 18 inch medium or light weight contour barrel is not that heavy.

Pat