Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any range time with the new sight?

I shot the gun and sight at the NW Multigun and it was awesome. Going to shoot a local 3 gun in a few weeks.

Busy talking with optics suppliers and updating the design.

How about a rectangle or square shape lens to bring the dot lower?

I shot the gun and sight at the NW Multigun and it was awesome. Going to shoot a local 3 gun in a few weeks.

When you think about it, how would that make the dot lower?

When you think about it, how would that make the dot lower?

If you imagine flattening the bottom of a round lens or make a half moon shape lens instead of a full circle(assuming you are using the same diameter lens and one is modified with a flat bottom), would that not make the bottom closer to the slide and bring the dot lower? Or flatten the top and bottom of the same diameter round lens will bring the lens closer to the slide thereby lowering the dot as well.

Lets not sacrifice lens size or shape chasing the lowest dot height possible. The benefit of this design is the unobstructed ejection port with a large lens. There are other designs on the market that have unobstructed ejection ports but small lenses

If it were me I would stick to round glass that is slightly larger than the c-more glass. I would drill it for the 5 hole pattern and the dot would be high enough to clear a conservative flat top cut.

I feel this would make it easy for the guys that already have a gun built and just want the optic now and don't want to mess with sending it to a gunsmith.

Then I would do a run that isn't drilled for a pattern and let the gunsmiths who are building new guns or retrofitting 3 hole pattern guns fit the optic as they see fit.

Kind of like drop in action kits and a gunsmith done trigger job.

Both are an improvement, but one is fit a little better.

If you imagine flattening the bottom of a round lens or make a half moon shape lens instead of a full circle(assuming you are using the same diameter lens and one is modified with a flat bottom), would that not make the bottom closer to the slide and bring the dot lower? Or flatten the top and bottom of the same diameter round lens will bring the lens closer to the slide thereby lowering the dot as well.

Ah ok, like an STS , fastfire etc lens. Now i get it :) I guess you could still have a fairly large lens slightly flattened at the bottom. One cool thing with this system, from what i could make out of the image, is that i guess it could be completely modular, allowing for lenschanges and different shapes if so desired.

I'm pretty much finished with the 2nd design, 5 hole mount on the main side, 2 hole on the other side with standard spacing. More compact design with a custom lens.

I'm trying to find the right supplier of the custom lens, most guys deal with precision lab optics for lasers. Trust me when I say that you guys don't want to pay for that type of lens. So finding a supplier of "sporting" grade optics is my current task. I'm ready to start machining the next version as soon as I kickoff the new lens.

I'm pretty much finished with the 2nd design, 5 hole mount on the main side, 2 hole on the other side with standard spacing. More compact design with a custom lens.

I'm trying to find the right supplier of the custom lens, most guys deal with precision lab optics for lasers. Trust me when I say that you guys don't want to pay for that type of lens. So finding a supplier of "sporting" grade optics is my current task. I'm ready to start machining the next version as soon as I kickoff the new lens.

Waiting for the URL to your e-commerce store front :)

Still working to find the right optics supplier. In the process I've bumped up the diameter of the lens to make it a more standard piece of glass round stock. So it's now a touch bigger than the "standard".

I've got the lens to mounting point height at roughly the same as the clearance a serendipity sight creates. This may force some to flat top, but I feel that the serendipity is the closest thing to industry standard - and you want that lens as low as you can get it.