Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

Thanks for the support and comments guys. Sorry about pulling the pictures, I need to get my stuff in order. To me this is a solution to a simple and obvious problem - one that I sketched down 3 years ago and it finally made it to the top of the to-do list. Also on that list is a mag feed shotgun designed from the ground up around a magazine that feeds. I'm used to operating in a very open, community building atmosphere for my personal projects. I do this stuff for me and to have fun, and like to share the learning and experiences with others. This project seems to be heading on a more eventful journey. So a few thoughts.

- I plan to put this into the hands of all the open gun shooters who want it.

- My day job is designing products and getting them built. Google my name, Jared Drinkwater. I'm not the Doritos guy.

- My main decision is how much of this I want to do myself, it feels good to develop, build and sell something all on your own - but it also takes time. So I'll be figuring out what portions I do. I would love to buy a faster more capable CNC machine and put these out myself and create something for my family.

- Revision 2 is already in design. It will use nothing from existing products.

- My intention is to keep this responsibly priced, for what it is - a machined piece of awesomeness. Shooting for under 5 seems like a good idea.

Gotta go pack for the trip to Bend.

Bang Bang.

Jared

See you there!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending $4000 on the gun with a C-more and 90 degree mount, I could easily justify spending $500 for the perfect optic. Particularly one as gorgeous as yours. The *thumb rest [generic]* does nothing for me being a lefty, so maybe 2 versions? My C-more is waiting for you to retire it!

I, too, would prefer the thumb rest not to be integrated, because I prefer the Rescomp thumb rest mounted very far forward. It would be a good idea to have the mount portion cover all 5 holes in the extended C-More pattern to aid compatibility with popular thumb rests.

For sure on the choice of having the thumb rest.

Can you guys explain the 5 holes need? I can tell you it doesn't take 5 screws to hold this sight in place.

Edit.. reading on my phone. Far forward thumb rests like to be that far up there? What if that style of rest was integrated?

Edited by jid2

Can you guys explain the 5 holes need? I can tell you it doesn't take 5 screws to hold this sight in place.

Edit.. reading on my phone. Far forward thumb rests like to be that far up there? What if that style of rest was integrated?

the 5 holes is the pattern everyone already has on their open guns for their current mounts, so we would all like it to fit those holes/pattern so that we dont need more holes in the gun.

avezorak:my buddy who doesnt care about open guns really liked the design as an option for a carry optic

I think the mount needs to be long enough to mount with 5 holes but allow the customer to specify the number of holes and placement. To say that 'everyone' has a 5 hole pattern is factually incorrect.

This way the customer can specify their existing hole pattern and the scope can be provided to mount directly to the customer's gun without the need to send it off to a gunsmith.

It puts the optic just above the slide, but without the side mounts. The whole unit is much more compact, streamlined and will weight less. Ejection port remains clear as well. It is likely that one would be able to holster it in a Blade-Tech Ice, maybe with some modification.

I think it is a great step forward, but I did encourage him to take down the pictures to keep his idea from getting stolen before he even has it ready.

The 5 hole pattern and a no-hole version would be the best options. With the 5 holes, if you have a serendipity, you just match up the outer and middle holes (with the option to add two more holes). If you have a 90 degree mount, you use all 5. Then there are the other patterns out there or just some who want to do it themselves so a blank version would be good too.

Also I would vote for no thumb rest. I went through 4 different ones before I found the one that works for me so I think that part is really personal preference/size of hands/etc.

IMHO, no thumb rest. Some of us are southpaws. :)

I don't shoot Open, and have no outright need for this sight. Despite that, and despite not having seen it, judging from the comments of people who can judge what you've created here, it sounds like something special, and I'm excited to see it. Can we expect that once you get some sort of preliminary patenting procedures out of the way that you'll put pics back up? Or will we have to wait until it's in full production and on sale to see it?

Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the no thumb rest and cmore spacing. Removing the thumb rest should definitely decrease the mill time. Making it faster and easier to produce. :)

Personally, I've found that for me, thumb rests and ambi-safeties just clutter up the lines of a good gun. I can't shoot weak hand due to severe arthritis, so ambi-safeties only make a pistol wider and harder to conceal. I recently bought a 9mm STI 2011, hard-chromed with five 140mm mags. I love it. The C-More is bright enough to see on a sunny day, and all I need to do is get in much more practice. I used to go to the range at least twice a week. As my wrists and the rest of my joints continue to give up on me, I've been forced to severely cut back on my practice time. Needless to say, this has hurt my performance. I shot a steel plate match last week, the first time out with the new STI and I love it. I only wish I would have bought one much earlier. I know that I'll never be the shooter that I used to be, but I can still have a great deal of fun. Now all I need to do is to either learn how to finish tuning the mags for the 2011, or pay someone else to do it. The seller said he did, but during the match, I had one mag fall out of the gun, and I had several jams where the bullet nose was nose-diving into the feed ramp. Mag tuning is a mystery to me, but I must get it right because that thing shoots great. It seems obvious that the mags are for a .38 Super, I guess, since they're so much longer than the loaded rounds. A shooter at the match told me to bend up the feed lip on the follower but these are solid plastic followers, so that's not an option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A little advice from a guy in a similar situation. A couple years ago, I was building my own camera motion gear to do shoots with for my "real" job as an automotive journalist. Some dudes saw me shooting with one of my rigs, one thing let to another, and we've had two years of $100,000ish gross sales and products all over the world. My wife and dad now work part time when they aren't teaching school and being an old-retired guy respectively.

Forget about patents. Unless it's something SOOOO revolutionary that you could argue couldn't have been created organically by someone else, then pursue one, but understand it's a long and expensive process. And your patent is only as good as you're willing to defend it. And that means money.

We went the customer service route Marketing and selling directly to our "peers" in the industry and providing unparalleled customer service and communication. Instead of underpromising and over delivering, we have a policy of over promising AND over delivering even on that. Sent someone a regular product a day early? What's wrong with slipping in an Amazon card for $10?

I had a guy who was always asking tech questions about an upcoming product. i sent him a huge box of prototype parts, along with a ton of loose parts. Together we came up with an excellent solution.

Don't underestimate the good fortune of being in the market you're selling to. And people will respect you for selling. Sure, some B Shooter is going to want you to "sponsor" him, but try and avoid that. I've gotten around that by only providing product to legitimate media outlets (hard media and internet media) with good penetration. And if I have one I can't sell for cosmetic reasons, it becomes mine until a school or community center calls, looking for a handout for their film program. Then I lose mine.

Bottom line, if you can control every stage of production, marketing and sales—or at least sub them out in a very limited way—do it. Especially if you intend to keep your "day job." As soon as you decide to quit that job, though, all bets are off. Shoot for the moon, because that's all you have left.

jg