Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The patent laws have just changed from first to invent to first to file. You may want to check with a patent attorney and make sure of what your options really are. You may want to file a provisional just to be on record. If it is still patentable and you come out with it then someone else may file and take away your rights to it.

If it is no longer patentable just get it going and make as much as possible before the knockoffs start. You can always still rightfully claim to be the genuine original.

Any range time with the new sight?

I shot the gun and sight at the NW Multigun and it was awesome. Going to shoot a local 3 gun in a few weeks.

Busy talking with optics suppliers and updating the design.

Put me on the list! I've tried C-mores, fast fires, deltapoints, and razrs, but I think that design takes the cake for the lowest possible mounting solution. Also, it won't screw you up when transitioning to iron sights for carry or duty pistols. Great design!

Any range time with the new sight?

I shot the gun and sight at the NW Multigun and it was awesome. Going to shoot a local 3 gun in a few weeks.

Busy talking with optics suppliers and updating the design.

Good to hear the design is coming along well. Please keep us updated.

As the diode is offset to the left of the lens, does the zero change at different distances?

For example, if sighted in for 25 yards, would it be dead on at 25 yards, but have a point of impact to the left or right at 10 or 50 yards?

Edited by mpolans

No, the azimuth of the diode doesn't matter. As an example, the tasco and aimpoint tube red dots have their diode projectors at positions other than the 6 o'clock position.

There will be some elongation of a perfectly round projected dot that is amplified as the diode gets closer to the lens due to the angle but the human eye really can't pick it up until the diode projector gets ridiculously close to the lens. This is where the engineering and fine tuning comes in to play to balance these issues so they aren't a problem for the user.

Does anyone not have their slide flat topped?

Designing the height of the glass above the slide, the lower the better - but you really need to have things flat topped or you give up a good amount of potential. I had to flat top my Para slide to install my original Serendipity. That was before I had my milling machine and I did it with a file, actually did a pretty good job!

Does anyone not have their slide flat topped?

All of mine are flat topped, but all at different heights. So factoring a little additional height would accomdate the largest amount of guns. The additional bore height of the dot would not make a difference

I concur about the limited value of a patent, at least in my experience.... a super high quality sight, serviceable and continually refined for our specific use would be a no-brainer purchase as far as I'm concerned even if the price was more than any other sight currently on the market. The price would just determine how many of my pistols got to wear one! The design does look awesome and based on other posts I've seen of yours the precision and quality are already there... I would agree with others that it should fit a "standard" mount pattern/placement with only the left side of the frame requiring additional holes. I hope you build them and I, for one, would be willing to pre-pay (even at risk!) to help get the first production run underway.

I also will pre-pay, if we do not help each other then some things that are truly needed could get lost or ditched for funds.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Factory Trubors aren't flat topped.

I have a factory Matchmaster and a factory trubor. It didn't take long to figure out they both needed to be flat topped for use with just about any quality mount out there. My TruBor is on its way back from my smith after being flat topped. My MM will be sold to find a custom that'll be tri-topped. STI does not flat top the slides on the guns you mentioned but they should. Regardless of that though I believe this optic should be built with ALL open guns in mind. Make it just a little high to accommodate round top slides and frames that've been drilled a little lower than most.

Primary Arms had a green dot ala the Burris Fastfire, but discontinued it due to some QC from the Asian factory. I have two of them I use in 3 gun, one as my secondary sight on my rifle, the other on my Saiga. The green dot in them is like a little green sun, it is so bright. I read somewhere that the eye picks up green faster due to the wavelength of green light, rods and cones, etc... Not sure about all that, but I do love my green dot PA sights.

yep-those little primary arms green dots are great. have one on a steel gun, a secondary sight for an at-22 and another on a shotgun. green is mo betta.

post-2786-0-83093600-1375730263_thumb.jp