Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

A little advice from a guy in a similar situation. A couple years ago, I was building my own camera motion gear to do shoots with for my "real" job as an automotive journalist. Some dudes saw me shooting with one of my rigs, one thing let to another, and we've had two years of $100,000ish gross sales and products all over the world. My wife and dad now work part time when they aren't teaching school and being an old-retired guy respectively.

Forget about patents. Unless it's something SOOOO revolutionary that you could argue couldn't have been created organically by someone else, then pursue one, but understand it's a long and expensive process. And your patent is only as good as you're willing to defend it. And that means money.

We went the customer service route Marketing and selling directly to our "peers" in the industry and providing unparalleled customer service and communication. Instead of underpromising and over delivering, we have a policy of over promising AND over delivering even on that. Sent someone a regular product a day early? What's wrong with slipping in an Amazon card for $10?

I had a guy who was always asking tech questions about an upcoming product. i sent him a huge box of prototype parts, along with a ton of loose parts. Together we came up with an excellent solution.

Don't underestimate the good fortune of being in the market you're selling to. And people will respect you for selling. Sure, some B Shooter is going to want you to "sponsor" him, but try and avoid that. I've gotten around that by only providing product to legitimate media outlets (hard media and internet media) with good penetration. And if I have one I can't sell for cosmetic reasons, it becomes mine until a school or community center calls, looking for a handout for their film program. Then I lose mine.

Bottom line, if you can control every stage of production, marketing and sales—or at least sub them out in a very limited way—do it. Especially if you intend to keep your "day job." As soon as you decide to quit that job, though, all bets are off. Shoot for the moon, because that's all you have left.

jg

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Good advice for sure. I'm busy working on the design of version 2, talking with suppliers about custom glass etc.

Who has strong feelings about dot color. Red is the industry standard, green is the new cool thing, blue is kinda wild. Is there a real performance difference? Let's talk about color....

Color will be an issue for color blind folks. For folks with unimpaired vision, there are times where green is more visible than red, because of the sun or the background. I don't know that blue will work well across the spectrum, just because it's not as intense as either red or green.

I didn't see your pics, so I have no idea of the reticle--is it a single dot?

If you can't come up with C-more-like modules for this with different colors, red is probably your best all-around option. I sometimes run a green fiber on my iron guns, because I pick it up faster. I don't know whether it washes out in bright light or not. For lasers, the comparison between green and red doesn't translate to a dot, because a green laser is more powerful than the comparable red one.

I'm heading out to the Northwest Multigun this week and am excited to put some more rounds through it.

Man I wish I had read this! I missed out on seeing it.

i'll be there in squad 9. i wanna check it out.

Butch why didn't you say something, you know I shoot a little Open.

Been wanting to try a green dot for a long time. Offering both red and green would be the ticket!

Will your design be able to support various MOA options? Would be nice if MOA could be adjusted depending on ambient light and stage conditions.

BTW, I download the pics when you first posted. I drool over them...can't wait;)

There are now scopes that have red, green and blue all in one scope. If you could make yours like that it would allow people to use the one best suited to the situation at hand and anyone would be able to find at least one that worked for them. This product is already a premium game changer. Having 3 colors would make it even more world class. I think the blue would work in a lot of situations, but few people have ever seen blue or even green for that matter so it's hard to say at this point which would be best.

I don't even shoot USPSA but I make prototypes of new inventions for a living and I can tell you that it's very seldom you see something actually new and different (in a good way). Most products are a redo or incremental improvement of something already out there.

Edited by Toolguy

^^^Good advice for sure. I'm busy working on the design of version 2, talking with suppliers about custom glass etc.

Who has strong feelings about dot color. Red is the industry standard, green is the new cool thing, blue is kinda wild. Is there a real performance difference? Let's talk about color....

Green Green Green. A choice of red or green would be nice. Those of us with color vision problems can generally see green better than red. hint, hint.

I'm not color blind in the least but I can't pick up green dots/fiber optics. I have tried them and I always go back to red for everything. A choice would be nice but if it makes the cost significantly more, then I would vote for just red.

Changing color is not just a matter of changing light sources. There is a coating on the optic that is wavelength selective to reflect only the wavelength of the light source and lets other wavelengths pass through the glass so you can see what you are aiming at. The idea is to let as much light from the outside world to pass through the glass while reflecting the most light from the light source. The coating and the optics design are probably the most important and the most protected design details in these sights. So, if you want to change the color, you will most likely need to change the light source and the glass.

Later,

Chuck

Yeap. Different dot color requires different glass. So you can't just change the emitter color, it works as a system with the glass.

But having options is good.

Having a choice between green and red would be awesome. Not that I would opt for green, but obviously there is a market for it. Is it worth the added cost/headach? I'm not sure. I'd most likely just buy a red one.

Now, get to work. My open gun will be finished beginning of next year, you'll have this done before then so I don't have to buy a c-more right? ;)

Still can't wait for this to get into gear.

I'm in gear.

Already went through 1st, kinda slow and laggy for a while, but at 4K RPM the turbo was spooled up and it ripped to redline in a hurry, I just pushed the clutch in and shifted to 2nd. When I drop the clutch and get back on the gas - look out. 2nd gear goes fast, turbo is already spooled and in the powerband, once you hit 3rd you start adding some real speed and by 4th it's bye-bye.

Pacific Raceways is one of the great underrated road courses in the US, in my opinion. That section through the forest between 3 and 6 is like nothing else in America.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

It exists I even saw pictures and video of it!

I'm not even an Open Shooter and it was obvious to me how this will solve many of the problems I see Open guys struggle with.

The OP has a great idea, has produced at least a prototype or two, and it would be nice to see him get a nice paycheck out of the deal all the while helping move our sport along. By the time I can afford an Open gun, these will definitely be in full production and either cheaper (due to volume) or WAY more expensive due to demand.

Haven't seen any pics, so the item doesn't exsist... I feel like the guy in the dark, in the ditch with the croaker sack... Snipe HUNT!!!

Did you even read this whole post?He pulled the pics cause he needs to patent it.

Primary Arms had a green dot ala the Burris Fastfire, but discontinued it due to some QC from the Asian factory. I have two of them I use in 3 gun, one as my secondary sight on my rifle, the other on my Saiga. The green dot in them is like a little green sun, it is so bright. I read somewhere that the eye picks up green faster due to the wavelength of green light, rods and cones, etc... Not sure about all that, but I do love my green dot PA sights.