Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - The Perfect Open Gun Optic

jid2

You should probably file for a provisional patent ASAP. You can use a patent agent vs patent attorney to save some $. That will give you 1 year of protection assuming you are first to file. A possible issue is that once an idea is in the public domain (i.e., posted on a forum like this one) prior to the patent being awarded or at least under the provisional status, your patent may not be defendable in court. But, I'm not an expert on patent laws. I have been through the process a few times and sometimes I sleep at the Holiday Inn. A patent is only as good as your ability to defend it (i.e., it takes a lot of $ to sue a lot of people). If you can get the provisional filed, then I would immediately try to license it to somebody and get the market flooded before someone else builds a copy or even a better version. Also, you may want to explorer the design patent vs the utility patent route. It just occured to me, but you should probably do a search on existing patents. You may actually be infringing on someone else's patent without knowing it. In fact, I remember the patent agent telling me to do the search first before paying him any $ to start writing the claims.

All that said, I like your innovation and hope after some more testing & refinement we see this thing available for purchase in the near future. I would love to try one out;)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the pictures get taken down?

Yes, likely to protect intellectual property. I saw it in other threads and it really is a great idea. If it makes it to production will likely be a true c-more killer for serious open competitors.

Edited by KungPfoo

How about a little market research for the OP? How much would you be willing to spend on this setup for:

-a new build?

-to replace your current optics?

This design is exactly what I have been hoping for in a open gun sight. I'd pay $500 for new one. Maybe $350 for one built off my cmore

Edited by Supermoto

I saw the pics and I predict the sight will be the open sight of the future Probably be expensive until economy of scale kicks in.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat . It looks great and puts the 90 degree mount out of business. It also shows C-more they need to do something or lose our market

When the pics were up it looked great. If the op goes through and gets glass made to his spec it will be even better.

If the optic companies didn't see the pics and get scared they must truly be fat and happy. This thing will end c-mores.

How about a little market research for the OP? How much would you be willing to spend on this setup for:

-a new build?

-to replace your current optics?

This design is exactly what I have been hoping for in a open gun sight. I'd pay $500 for new one. Maybe $350 for one built off my cmore

Whoa!

I'm thinking $400.00 . . . maybe $425.00.

I saw the pics, and calling this the "Perfect Open Gun Optic" is the biggest understatement in history. Perfect doesn't even begin to describe how amazing this is.

My one selfish wish for this, if it becomes reality, is a version that will easily be retrofitted to existing frames that are already drilled for the...what's that other optic called again? I already forgot....

Edited by pxm142

For the market research, I'd go somewhere in the $400 to very low $500 range. But, it's got to be bullet proof. The concept and prototype kick serious butt. I was blown away. I hope he is getting good advice and doing what needs to be done, I want one of these bad.

Pricing.

Cost of optic, then cost of mount, then cost of taking optic apart and putting it into the mount, little markup for the idea and labor, marketing......

It has to be in the high $400 range at a minimum. Mid $500 is probably more realistic considering how revolutionary it is.

It replaces a slide racker and the cost of machining the slide as well. Think about what you already have into an optic and mount and I think you will agree that in the 500's is a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, since you already have that much into a soon to be obsolete optic it I can see where that price would be painful.

Depending where he gets theboptics, mybe there is a trade in sort of plan, but that could bring up warranty issues.

Licensing it to the big optics guys could be the best option for everyone. He makes his money without all the stress and the companies with the scale don't lose thier products and can use their size to keep costs down.

Edited by Trent1k1

Thanks for the support and comments guys. Sorry about pulling the pictures, I need to get my stuff in order. To me this is a solution to a simple and obvious problem - one that I sketched down 3 years ago and it finally made it to the top of the to-do list. Also on that list is a mag feed shotgun designed from the ground up around a magazine that feeds. I'm used to operating in a very open, community building atmosphere for my personal projects. I do this stuff for me and to have fun, and like to share the learning and experiences with others. This project seems to be heading on a more eventful journey. So a few thoughts.

- I plan to put this into the hands of all the open gun shooters who want it.

- My day job is designing products and getting them built. Google my name, Jared Drinkwater. I'm not the Doritos guy.

- My main decision is how much of this I want to do myself, it feels good to develop, build and sell something all on your own - but it also takes time. So I'll be figuring out what portions I do. I would love to buy a faster more capable CNC machine and put these out myself and create something for my family.

- Revision 2 is already in design. It will use nothing from existing products.

- My intention is to keep this responsibly priced, for what it is - a machined piece of awesomeness. Shooting for under 5 seems like a good idea.

Gotta go pack for the trip to Bend.

Bang Bang.

Jared

Edited by jid2

Checking Shooter's Connection, a C-More Railway Click is $259, an Allchin mount is $89, and the popular sideways mounts are a bit more, so call it $340-$360 for the standard platform most of us are using. An Aimpoint Micro plus mount is around $690, just to frame the top end of the market.

Given that, $400 would be a steal, and $500 would be pretty reasonable given the advantages. That's assuming it attaches to the C-More hole pattern, the sight and mount are integrated, and no additional parts are required.

How many of us would be willing to parts-bin our current setups and switch to the new hotness at that price point? Hard to say. The first guys to switch are going to get the most dollars for their used C-Mores, but they would also be taking the biggest Early Adopter risks. Once it proves out though, I think everyone will eventually switch, even at $500.

I would pay anything you asked and dump my Cmore in a heartbeat for one of these sights! Honestly, I doubt I would gain anything performance-wise compared to a sideways-mounted slide ride....but it is the most badass looking sight I have ever seen :cheers: The gun would look 1000X cleaner. I would have the entire sight TiAlN coated and it would match everything perfectly. Well done sir!

Thanks for the support and comments guys. Sorry about pulling the pictures, I need to get my stuff in order. To me this is a solution to a simple and obvious problem - one that I sketched down 3 years ago and it finally made it to the top of the to-do list. Also on that list is a mag feed shotgun designed from the ground up around a magazine that feeds. I'm used to operating in a very open, community building atmosphere for my personal projects. I do this stuff for me and to have fun, and like to share the learning and experiences with others. This project seems to be heading on a more eventful journey. So a few thoughts.

- I plan to put this into the hands of all the open gun shooters who want it.

- My day job is designing products and getting them built. Google my name, Jared Drinkwater. I'm not the Doritos guy.

- My main decision is how much of this I want to do myself, it feels good to develop, build and sell something all on your own - but it also takes time. So I'll be figuring out what portions I do. I would love to buy a faster more capable CNC machine and put these out myself and create something for my family.

- Revision 2 is already in design. It will use nothing from existing products.

- My intention is to keep this responsibly priced, for what it is - a machined piece of awesomeness. Shooting for under 5 seems like a good idea.

Gotta go pack for the trip to Bend.

Bang Bang.

Jared

Go for it! Also, recommend designing something for the AR platform as well. That would be icing on the cake;) I can see these things coming in some cool colors/paint jobs too! Please hurry...