Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rumored $1699 msrp for the competition tactical.

I can only go by what guys list in their FS threads of "what they have I to it, and that seems to be 2k+

If that $$$ is correct then you could build one from a Sportsman like we did for my friend Sean,

Or get a Sportsman and have Benny, Mark , Jeff C. or your favorite builder make one really ready to play with.

FYI, no need to pay extra $$$ for knurled extended choke tubes when Rem sells them for <$17@

• 1 month later...

If you are looking at shotguns, the Versa-Max Turkey is now available. They come in 22, 26 and 28" and have rifle sights. At about $900, it is $150 to $200 less than the Tactical. Add a TTI lifter and bolt handle and a Carbon Arms Versa-Tube and you are $ ahead. Just another option.

TTI lifter for the Versamax? I didn't know they were available! There is no way to even get a shell in the stock Versamax without it drawing blood.

If you need one, check with Jeremy at Shooters Source.

Oh yeah... been looking long and hard and was close to sending it out to be welded. Ordered one about a minute after reading this. Nice looking stainless piece. SS does not list it specifically as VM compatible but the Taran Tactical site does (guess it is really a reminelli lol). That and a bit of filing on shell catch and new VM tactical should be ready for maiden voyage next month. I've only shot maybe 50 rounds buck/slugs and not even close to bitten but not taking that chance. Not fond of pain or bleeding like a stuck pig. That shell catch is the biggest issue. Not only does shell snag going in but it occasionally malfunctions and does not release a shell. Slug POI is not bad after loosening up the clamp by padding it and leaving tube slightly loose (~1/4 turn). Not a precision rifle but pretty center much center mass at 25yrds. Just hate to give up the sling mount or side rail for a one piece tube just yet. A +2 extension was good enough to tame that factory mag spring with no trimming required. I bet a lot of people never even mounted the top rail but I tried it out and was pleasantly surprised. Because of the semi circle cut running through the middle it works pretty good as 1/2 a ghost ring sight.

BTW as far as REM Pro Bore extended chokes go I picked up a set of 4 (full, IC, MOD, LM) from CDNN NIB Remington STS comp chokes for $9.99 each. No laser name engraving but you can't beat the price.

• 1 month later...

Heard from someone who was at Rockcastle that the relase was first of 2014. Any insight as to that. Read the Recoil article but didn't say mich and nothing related to a release date. If this is going to be another "first of the year" becomes "end of the year", I will buy the Tactical and send to Benny. Had the same experience with the FN Competition model (vent rib barrel). Great Idea, never came out.

Edited by USCSBarney

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/versa-max/versa-max-competition-tactical.aspx

OVERVIEW:

When we introduced the VERSA MAX shotgun in 2010, we shattered convention and all previous benchmarks for reliability and performance with an autoloading action unlike any that came before it. Today, we’re shattering the perception of what a shotgun should be....again.

For competition or personal defense, no challenge too great for Remington® tactical shotguns. Our lineup includes some of the most trusted and popular shotguns in the industry, each fine-tuned for your specific tactical application. Our centerpiece is the Versa Max® Competition Tactical. We started with our Versa Max Tactical, then outfitted it to meet the 3-gunner’s demands. Features include an 8-shot magazine, with a carbon fiber two-shot extension, oversized controls for handling with gloves, green Cerakote™-coated receiver, an enlarged loading port for faster reloads, express dovetail sights – and more.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Most versatile, reliable shotgun on the market.
  • Reliably cycles 12-gauge rounds from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" magnum.
  • Versaport™ gas system regulates cycling pressure based on shell length.
  • Reduces recoil to that of a 20-gauge.
  • Self-cleaning - Continuously cycled thousands of rounds in torture test.
  • Synthetic stock and fore-end with overmolded grips.
  • Oversized bolt release button, bolt release and trigger guard
  • Extended 10+1 capacity, with carbon fiber, two-shot magazine extension tube
  • Pro Bore Extended Choke System
  • Enlarged loading port
  • Raised rib includes fiber optic front bead and shallow rear XS® express sights
Edited by theKenny

Just got back from SHOT and looked over this very closely. They have opened up the loading port and the new lifter is very well done.

They have put a lot of thought into this one, that's for sure!

Mick

If you are looking at shotguns, the Versa-Max Turkey is now available. They come in 22, 26 and 28" and have rifle sights. At about $900, it is $150 to $200 less than the Tactical. Add a TTI lifter and bolt handle and a Carbon Arms Versa-Tube and you are $ ahead. Just another option.

My googlefu is failing. Have not been able to find anything about a "turkey" model. Any leads?

Nevermind - turkey model is hidden under sportsman and requires a little effort to find.

Also, any idea if the new lifter will fit older models?

Edited by bishop414