Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

Does anyone know if there's a way to extend the mag tube to 12 rounds easily? Is the carbon fiber tube made by a known manufacturer?

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread. My work has a couple of these and I REALLY want one.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A friend bought one of the VersaMax competition models with the green receiver. The feed latch is so stiff that the shells will stop dead once the brass on the shell hits the latch. We've relieved the latch some and it helped a tiny bit (maybe not at all) but it's still so much harder to load than any other gun I've tried. I legitimately thought it was broken when we took it out of the box.

Does anyone have any idea how to make loading the VersaMax easier? It's not a technique issue, the gun just stops shells dead.

A friend bought one of the VersaMax competition models with the green receiver. The feed latch is so stiff that the shells will stop dead once the brass on the shell hits the latch. We've relieved the latch some and it helped a tiny bit (maybe not at all) but it's still so much harder to load than any other gun I've tried. I legitimately thought it was broken when we took it out of the box.

Does anyone have any idea how to make loading the VersaMax easier? It's not a technique issue, the gun just stops shells dead.

Pm me I can walk you through what I did to mine.

I had a chance to shoot this at a side match this weekend. I've been using an 870 Wingmaster but man, I'm nearly sold on the VM Comp. Absolute sweet shooting, dead on accurate and pointed naturally for me. I got a round of 4 into the tube as "practice" during pre-load and with that much experience I was able to load pretty easily during the match. Credit for that goes to the gun though!

Having said that I was wondering if some of the early adopters of the VM Comp or the normal VM could give feedback on higher round count reliability. Does anything tend to need replacement multiple times, how often do you clean it and would you say it needs more or less care and attention than your previous gun?

Had same issue. Sent it back to Remington - twice. NO improvement.

So I sent it to Rose Action Sports. Now it loads well.

As far as longevity I am approaching ( I'm guessing, I haven't actually kept track but I know it would be close ) 10,000 rounds through mine ( versa max tactical ) and I have had no issues at all with anything mechanically or cosmetically. I used to let it go a long time between cleanings, I would just add a little Mobil 1 before shooting but now I clean it more regularly but it will run no matter what. The only thing I had to do was have the extractor re-radiused at around 8,000 rounds as it started to not like the cheap shells ( with bad crimps, it would catch the edge of the crimp on the way into the chamber and get stuck ) but I think it was just from so many rounds through it that it actually sharpened the edge of the extractor because the first 8,000 rounds was almost all Federal bulk and it never malfunctioned ever. After it was radiused again, back to eating anything and everything. I bought a new comp model as I am worried that I might wear the tactical out some day but it is still going and actually runs even better as it has loosened up a bit. I did have my tactical gone through ( shortly after it was new ) by Triangle sports and it was worth every penny, they will be doing my comp model also -

Does anyone have any more ideas on how I can get the Versamax to quad-load easier? The lifter is pressing so hard against the first shell going into the gun that it keeps it from going into the mag tube. Two grown men were unable to get the shell to even move after it wedges itself like that.

Loading one at a time it works smoothly.

Does anyone have any more ideas on how I can get the Versamax to quad-load easier? The lifter is pressing so hard against the first shell going into the gun that it keeps it from going into the mag tube. Two grown men were unable to get the shell to even move after it wedges itself like that.

Loading one at a time it works smoothly.

Suggest check post 389 page 16 to see what I did to mine, no problems since I modified it.

I am about to import one to New Zealand. What should I get checked to make sure I get a good one. Don't want to send back to be fixed or modified. Also the packaging, should I consider paying for a different case to ship. After all the comments on bad packaging.

Cheers

Read through this entire thread...there is a lot of info but all of it will be very worth your time. There will be minor work needed to be done to the lifter and some port work...I did all mine with hand files and a dremel. I have maybe 4 hours into it total and that's working on the port a second time after deciding I could open it up a lot more. e5f5f5dab098beb85926e326d353ed5e.jpg

For those of you inquiring, the part number for the new lifter is: 409144

Should be F409144, but I'm betting that they will use all they have to build guns for a while before they are available to purchase separately.

Brownells has been showing this competition lifter on their site for the last couple of months. Yesterday I noticed that my backorder had switched to "order processing". Today their site is showing them as "in stock".

Oddly, Remington's own site isn't even showing the competition lifter yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone possibly measure their feed latch roll pin? I was polishing my feed latch and lost the pin in the process. I have a match in a week and cannot wait for one to ship.if you could possible give me the diameter and length! It is part number 26 in the Versamax manual.

Brownell's has the Remington Competition version of the carrier in stock:
* http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/carrier-parts/carrier-assemblies/competition-carrier-sku767001088-68367-144301.aspx

I called Brownells and the tech physically got up and looked at the part available from their stock shelves and validated it is the solid version from the factory without the u notch in the front.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Brownell's has the Remington Competition version of the carrier in stock:

* http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/carrier-parts/carrier-assemblies/competition-carrier-sku767001088-68367-144301.aspx

I called Brownells and the tech physically got up and looked at the part available from their stock shelves and validated it is the solid version from the factory without the u notch in the front.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

It's 68 bucks then you still have to send it out to be worked on for another 50 bucks, would be cheeper to by an original VM one and send to out.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread as I got a flyer from Cabela's and the had the VM competition tactical in the flyer for $1299.99. Not a super bargain by any means but a fair price if anyone is in the market you local cabela's may be stocking this model for you to put some fingerprints on. Hopefully this off season I get around to doing my review of this, the stoeger m3000 the benelli m2 and the beretta 1301.

Edited by Iowashooter