Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Just replaced the extractor and spring with Benelli parts. We'll see how it does at the match on Saturday. Anybody going to the Copperas Cove 3-gun? It'll be my first 3-gun match. Pretty stoked.

EDIT: Oh and pin the retains the bolt head is pretty loose, pretty much to the point where I can shake it out. I know there was somebody else with this issue. What ended up being the solution? Another pin?

Edited by Barracuda

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M3K is now showing up on Cabelas website ... $630

Yup, It got on there a little over 2 weeks ago. I went there and ordered it when it got on the site. They called me on Sunday and said they can't order it for at least six months.

It's at least useful having the M3K model pictures as a reference point for opening regular 3000's loading ports. I went slow with a file and sandpaper for mine and it took FOREVER but wanted to do it conservatively to not brick it. Were it not for online reference materials I'd have had no idea how far was far enough without going too far.

I'm an idiot. I was installing my MOA magazine tube extension and got to trimming the spring. I trimmed it 16 inches past the stock magazine tube instead of past the magazine extension. /facepalm

I'm an idiot. I was installing my MOA magazine tube extension and got to trimming the spring. I trimmed it 16 inches past the stock magazine tube instead of past the magazine extension. /facepalm

Good thing springs are cheap!

M3000 ran flawlessly at the 3-gun match today. I think a lot of it has to do with the Benelli extractor parts as well as it getting past the break in period. Didn't perform as well as I would've liked, but had a blast.

One thing that happens occasionally is the magazine spring sometimes gets hung up in the tube and does not keep tension on the follower. I'm not particularly happy with the way I bent the ends of the springs, so that might have something to do with it (spring not seating correctly in the follower?). The +9 is pretty tight on there, so I can't imagine there's a gap big enough to catch the spring, but that seems like the only place it can get caught.

Is the inside of the MOA mag tube extension beveled like a Nordic tube where it meets the stock mag tube? If not that may be where the spring is hanging up. Or you may need to bevel the Stoeger a bit.

Is the inside of the MOA mag tube extension beveled like a Nordic tube where it meets the stock mag tube? If not that may be where the spring is hanging up. Or you may need to bevel the Stoeger a bit.

MOA uses Nordic tubes. I think it's a combination of the spring not seating correctly in the follower due to my poor job of bending the springs in and down as well as the tube loosening/backing out enough under fire to create a big enough gap for the spring to catch.

MOA uses Nordic tubes. I think it's a combination of the spring not seating correctly in the follower due to my poor job of bending the springs in and down as well as the tube loosening/backing out enough under fire to create a big enough gap for the spring to catch.
A little heat on the end coil and press flar on a scrap of wood let cool.

FWIW, the stock spring works fine me in my +5, so you may be able to use the spring as for now.

FWIW, the stock spring works fine me in my +5, so you may be able to use the spring as for now.

Thanks for the heads up. I might use that until I can get it replaced.

A little heat on the end coil and press flar on a scrap of wood let cool.

?? Why. Bend with pliers. You just need to get the end bent in and down so it doesn't try to catch anything. Don't heat springs, even just the end.

So I just finished some quad loading practice and ran into an issue. I was loading 12 rounds into my tube. When I went to cycle the shells out of the gun I would run into a dead cartridge drop lever. I'd have to push the shells up into the magazine tube and then push the drop lever again and it would work. Seemed to only happen between the first 3 shells I was ejecting. Any ideas what's going on?

So I just finished some quad loading practice and ran into an issue. I was loading 12 rounds into my tube. When I went to cycle the shells out of the gun I would run into a dead cartridge drop lever. I'd have to push the shells up into the magazine tube and then push the drop lever again and it would work. Seemed to only happen between the first 3 shells I was ejecting. Any ideas what's going on?

put some graphite in your tube that should help.

Man, the edges of the loading port can slice you up good! I can't practice loading without getting nicked on the thumb. Time to open up that loading port or at least round out the edges.

Barracuda watch this video its a little long but it will def help you.

Are you cycling your dummy rounds through the chamber to unload? If you do you are probably flattening the rim of the cases making them wider and under heavy spring pressure they won't clear the shell stop thingie. When you push them back you are probably changing the geometry or alignment slightly. Try it with fresh shells and see if you have the same issue.

If that is the issue, then stop cycling the gun with the dummies. You can unload the gun very quickly without it. Put your index finger (mostly its first knuckle in the loading port and touch the shell in the magazine. Using your thumb rock back the bolt release slightly, this will release a shell onto your finger. Let go the bolt release and let the shell fall out. Repeat until tube is empty. The trick is to get your index finger in contact with the shell and be ready to guide it out before you rock back the button, because otherwise it will have velocity as it smacks into your finger.

Yes I'm cycling through the chamber to remove them.

Yeah, stop that :) I have 1 or 2 dummies I have dedicated to practicing match saver use, and you can quickly see the difference in flattened rim compared with the other shells.

The manual actually recommends you depress the lifter and hit the shell release button but that ends up with bruised knuckles and I find it easier to rock the bolt release slightly.

Ran 3 or 4 tubes through the gun with live ammo. Couldn't reproduce it. Put dummies back in. Instant problem. Good to know it's an issue with the dummies and practicing too much. I was worried something was wearing out and I was gonna spend all season chasing a phantom.