Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I put a shooters source o.s. (they say it stands for one shot I say it is more likely the oh sh*t shell holder) shell holder on mine. Had no problems so far and it is prteey much directly ove top of the action bar.

Can I bother you for a picture? I have the OS one.

1a87c402df7b81ee6aecb303b086d5f9.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a87c402df7b81ee6aecb303b086d5f9.jpg

And the nuts allow for enough clearance for the bars? That's my big worry.

I'm not fond of Velcro mounting, there was a match where I tried to load the entire thing into the chamber, shell, holder and velcro still attached because I ripped out the whole thing.

Yeah, it does seem the bars are running higher and further inside at at first seems. There seems to be plenty of clearance in there even if at first it doesn't seem so. I figure if there is any contact the finish on the bars will quickly show it.

Thank you all.

Another question .. has anyone lightened up their lifter spring? Do you get any benefit from doing so? Any downsides? How many coils did you take off and how did that work out for you?

Ok so is a question set

Vlad,

for the OS holder Velcro will NOT do it. I tried. My plan is to get some short 'T' nuts, that will keep the inside protrusion to an absolute minimum

No need, The nuts it comes with seem to work. I'll show you next time I see you.

Another question .. has anyone lightened up their lifter spring? Do you get any benefit from doing so? Any downsides? How many coils did you take off and how did that work out for you?

Ok so is a question set

Why would yo want to?

Why would yo want to?

Well because for whatever reason I seem to not depress the carrier well enough or far enough or quickly enough if I'm pushing the timing my quad loads and I end up fumbling with shells. This is of course my issue, not the gun's but coming from an 11-87 with an ez-loader I actually feel like I'm fighting the the carrier more on the M3000.

Mind you, it works fine when I work fine, and I probably need more practice, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I was loading Quads with my M3000 completely unmodified and never had lifter spring issues. Of all the parts in an Inertia gun, the bolt carrier and lifter spring are two I don't want to mess with.

Oh I can do it, its just that sometimes I have software issues and I was wondering if I could make it a hardware issue. If the answer is "you'll break stuff if you do that" then thats fine, I was curious if anyone tried it. I may pick up a spare spring and experiment.

You'll make the gun run less well by doing that, don't do it. Practice loading more and you'll overcome it. These things are touchy, we are finally getting all the little details that make them work perfectly figured out. Don't add something else to the mix :)

BTW my Xrail equipped, ported barrel, benelli extractor / spring, limbsaver pad / short LOP m3000 ran flawlessly at both 3 gun nation regionals, apart from a single hull jamming the port that I didn't find to examine later. All MOA, all the time :)

Another +1 for the Benelli extractor/spring upgrades! replaced those (along with the extractor pin) and fired about 50 rounds of various Win, Fed, and Rio shells without malfunctions. Ejection was very strong. The gun even cycled some Fed 7/8 ounce loads! Those particular empties dribbled out of the ejection port. That was a nice surprised

I doubt I ll use those rounds in a match but, it was a confidence booster.

I just got my Stoeger M3000 yesterday. I really like it, except for the safety. It's super stiff, and I see a replacement coming in the near future. I'm gonna take it out Saturday check it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Most of the aftermarket safeties (our included) reduce the height of the ridge between the detent grooves so the safety moves easier. You can make the factory one better by removing 2 coils or so from the spring and moving the safety back and forth about 5,000 times. Because it is free to rotate, you really can't wear down the ridge very easily on the factory part, unless you chuck it in a drill press and use a narrow file.

I run a match saver. There is a rib inside the fore-end at the optimum spot that has to be ground away. I will post up pics of the mod, maybe tonight. Desperately playing catchup in the shop today after taking a long weekend for 3GN match, probably be here all night tending machines. We shall see if it fits in :)

I'm waiting on my Stoeger from you guys so I don't want to keep you away from the work, but could you post the picture when you have a chance? I'll be doing the same to mine when it arrives :devil:

I've had an issues lately with possible extraction issues but not sure. After I fire 12 then reload and fire again I usually get to the last or second to last round and the extractor fails to pull the round out, but the extractor has pulled the rim of the case partially from the hull. I have to punch out the hull which is pretty tight in the chamber. I'm firing federal bulk. Is it an extractor or ammo issue? I haven't tried any other ammo yet I have thousands of federal so thats what I've been using but this has happened a few times now.

the extractor has pulled the rim of the case partially from the hull.

Clarify this for us, is the case head separating from the hull or are you saying that the case and hull are only being partially extracted from the chamber (but still fully connected to each other)?

I took it out this morning. I bought about 6 different 2 3/4 shells to run through the gun for some testing. I used the gun pretty straight out of the box. I didn't even clean the grease or lube it. It ran 2 3/4 dram rio, remington, winchester 1 1/8oz - 7/8oz shot perfectly. It didn't like federal though. Federal 2 3/4 dram 1oz and 7/8oz shot would either FTF or FTE.