Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I have an M3000 and love the gun.  It came with the realtree camo and I have had that stripped off and cerakoted.  I also got a wood stock set from Midwest Gun Works as opposed to using the plastic stock.  The wood stock came with a new bolt that threads into the receiver.  I briefly tried removing the existing stock bolt and found it to be very hard to remove.  I am guessing it has thread locker on it.  Do I need to put a torch on it for a few seconds to remove it?

Got the stock off no problem with a little flame. Unfortunately I’m having to really hog out the wood forend in order to get it to fit and everything cycle. 

Edited by longtalltechsan

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked mine up this weekend and took it to the trap range. Didn't realize they had a FPS limit of 1200. Ran 5 boxes of Walmart Winchester low brass with no hiccups. The only thing I did was clean everything and lubricate it. Going to start working on my quad loads. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how to reliably get in contact with MOA Precision electronically? I'm trying to solicit a quote for getting some work done on my M3K, but my form submission doesn't really seem to be getting a response.

Same boat here, reached out a couple weeks ago with no return yet. I’ve heard calling sometime works, but I’m assuming given the current state of many businesses and areas right now maybe their communications are worse than normal. I believe they used to frequent this forum but don’t think he’s been around for a while?

hoping someone can chime in with info!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, lwink said:

Same boat here, reached out a couple weeks ago with no return yet. I’ve heard calling sometime works, but I’m assuming given the current state of many businesses and areas right now maybe their communications are worse than normal. I believe they used to frequent this forum but don’t think he’s been around for a while?

hoping someone can chime in with info!

They have been MUCH more responsive over the phone recently, and I just sent my shotgun over to them today. Time to see if my Saiga 12 runs so I can shoot that open division life until it comes back. :)

So I’ve been using my M3K for about 2 years now for 3gun and I’m starting to get frustrated and looking for options. Basically I shoot it extremely inconsistently but generally poorly.

Recently I’ve been paying a lot more attention to mounting the gun properly and I think I’m coming to the conclusion that the gun simply doesn’t fit me. I’m using the largest drop shim but I still need to bury my head into the stock to ‘hide’ the top of the rib - nearly down to my nose it feels. I also notice that my sight picture down the rib is more often than not skewed across my body right to left. In order to see along the rib straight down my eye I need to tilt my head. To add confusion to the matter I’m a left eye/right handed shooter, and really want to remain both eyes open as I try to do with my rifle and pistol.

Patterning at 15 yards puts the group roughly 10-11oclock maybe 6-8 inches. The whole ‘point the gun and boom’ just isn’t happening for me. What kind of solutions should I start looking at? Do the competitor shotguns really have that much different fit/options for fit? Red dot on top? Just get used to contorting myself to get the right fit on the mount? Start chopping the stock? Thanks for the help! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, Walker345 said:

Has anyone modified the stock for someone with smaller hands? I'm hoping to find a way to get my right hand closer to the trigger so I can reach it comfortably

Cut the stock down to shorten LOP if its too long. It'll get your hand closer to the trigger. Stick it in the freezer and then very carefully use a bandsaw or similar. Sand it flat and mount a grindable recoil pad, grind to match. I went from stock to 13 7/8" LOP and it made a world of difference. There have been a few stock shortening posts in this great big long thread. Other than that, you could try slimming the grip slightly, it is pretty chunky, but you don't want to take too much material away.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, Walker345 said:

Has anyone modified the stock for someone with smaller hands? I'm hoping to find a way to get my right hand closer to the trigger so I can reach it comfortably

Not much you can do to reduce the circumference of the grip, but a stock with a shorter length of pull will probably help with that issue as well. If you don't want to fool with cutting/sanding the factory stock, you can get the shorter stock that Stoeger includes on their "compact" models for ~$60.

I bought the shorter one, unfortunately it doesn't help with the grip length. I'll probably try cutting the front end of the stock and see if I can't make it work. It's probably gonna end up with a hard edge where it meets the receiver. But... It's either that or learn to shoot weird. 

On 6/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, Pollock said:

So I’ve been using my M3K for about 2 years now for 3gun and I’m starting to get frustrated and looking for options. Basically I shoot it extremely inconsistently but generally poorly.

Recently I’ve been paying a lot more attention to mounting the gun properly and I think I’m coming to the conclusion that the gun simply doesn’t fit me. I’m using the largest drop shim but I still need to bury my head into the stock to ‘hide’ the top of the rib - nearly down to my nose it feels. I also notice that my sight picture down the rib is more often than not skewed across my body right to left. In order to see along the rib straight down my eye I need to tilt my head. To add confusion to the matter I’m a left eye/right handed shooter, and really want to remain both eyes open as I try to do with my rifle and pistol.

Patterning at 15 yards puts the group roughly 10-11oclock maybe 6-8 inches. The whole ‘point the gun and boom’ just isn’t happening for me. What kind of solutions should I start looking at? Do the competitor shotguns really have that much different fit/options for fit? Red dot on top? Just get used to contorting myself to get the right fit on the mount? Start chopping the stock? Thanks for the help! 

As a larger member of the species, I had a hard time finding a shotgun that fit. I went with the m3500 variant, and had an adjustable recoil pad installed from gracoil. I also installed some truglo Turkey sights to better train finding a proper mount. Between the two I was able to get my shotgun dialed in. Made a huge difference. I now dont like shooting my other shotguns. And nobody else likes shooting mine. It's a perfect scenario!

If you're tall, the gracoil is expensive, but it allows you to tune a perfect fit. Other options would be installing and fitting a spacer at the butt, adding a shim for pitch, and adjusting the drop beyond the factory provided options. 

Got my M3K Freedom back from MOA Precision after getting "the works", and it's just phenomenal. Great port work, the slug sights are as instinctive as I was hoping, and the Lightning Lifter is unbelievable. You read about how they work, but just doing some quad loads with one, it's mind-blowing how they simplify the loading process if you run dry. Maybe I'm just too easily impressed, I dunno, but this feels like what a high performance shotgun is supposed to be, and it's still a bit less than what a new stock Benelli M2 would have cost me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys from Australia here ( can't have any real nice toys) just picked up a Stoeger M300 straight pull version ( work the action for every shot). The version I got hold of is basically the same as the Freedom Series (ie pistol grip stock).

I'm  having a hard time trying to find a standard stock for it over here, can anyone tell me if another brand would fit the action with no mucking around to make it fit? 

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2015 at 2:19 AM, YammyMonkey said:

I pulled my new 3000 apart to clean it out & lube it up & the o-ring from the firing pin retaining pin came out in pieces. I have an AR extractor o-ring that looks like it'll fit, but does it go on the shaft of the pin, or in the groove on the head of the pin?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if this o-ring is "essential" or "optional"?

What does it do?

9 hours ago, Cuz said:

It keeps oil from leaking out of the bolt carrier! As long as you have the O ring in place you will not run out of oil. That's why people tell me you don't have to oil shotguns.

OR

Just helps hold the pin in place during disassembly, it goes in the grove in the head of the pin, it is not necessary........ But I like the oil answer better. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, Drops said:

Hello all, I have m3k from some time. Today I noticed that pin in bolt Carrier is completly loose. I saw on many movies on YouTube that a hammer and punch is needed to take it out or put in back. My pin came out with hand shaking, and I can insert with one finger. Is is normal? (sorry for language, English is not my native language)fBWvy4q_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I have the same problem! If you reassemble the gun with the locking head pin into the bolt I think that there is not a problem for the function of the gun. 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, Rico79 said:

Very nice! Thank you! But this is strange... Why is this happens. The same factory produces same guns... What does it mean? Poor quality? Something else? 

Edited by Rico79