Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ behavior

TeCZas

A shooter in the same squad as me was DQ'd this Saturday. She was the first shooter on the first stage! Of course everyone felt bad but a DQ infraction is a DQ. The bright spot was not only did this shooter accept the responsibility for the DQ, she stayed with the Squad for all 6 stages (3 plus hours)and actively kept score, pasted targets and RO'd as well. Her help was really appreciated but more importantly she kept her normal cheerful attitude and we were all able to enjoy her presence for the remainder of the day. Definitely handled with a lot of class.

The joke goes something like this:

A man rudely elbows his way through a long line of passengers waiting to check in for the British Airways flight, and loudly proclaims to the ticket agent "I have a first class ticket, and I'm in a hurry."

The ticket agent slowly looks the man up and down, and quietly says "First Class is not a ticket, sir. It's a way of life. The end of the line is back there."

This sport is full of first class people, and I am a better person for having gotten to know some of them.

Different people respond differently to a DQ. Had one guy who dropped a gun during a cof a few seasons ago, was visibly shook. Stayed around for the rest of the day - never came back.

Another shooter recently DQ'd - AD, visibly shaken,left for the day, has been back every match since and also is a helper in setting up and tearing down.

For those of you commenting on behavior, who do you give kudo's to? I think all of you are too harsh on folks who live in fear of a dq, then have it happen and it shakes them to their core. What inner character is shown if they stay the day and never come back versus take a few hours to get composed, come back and are an integral part of local clubs?

S$%t happens, we all deal with it differently.

A shooter in the same squad as me was DQ'd this Saturday. She was the first shooter on the first stage! Of course everyone felt bad but a DQ infraction is a DQ. The bright spot was not only did this shooter accept the responsibility for the DQ, she stayed with the Squad for all 6 stages (3 plus hours)and actively kept score, pasted targets and RO'd as well. Her help was really appreciated but more importantly she kept her normal cheerful attitude and we were all able to enjoy her presence for the remainder of the day. Definitely handled with a lot of class.

this one is for HER-- :eatdrink:

Ive been on the receiving end of the call (lost pistol from holster while moving; mag inserted, empty chamber) and I felt that staying was the right thing to do. My situation was a little different because I didnt actually endanger myself or anyone else since there was no round chambered. As has been said many times, there are two classes of USPSA shooters: those who have hada DQ, and those who haven't...yet. They happen all the time. Usually a very valuable lesson is learned by all who witness and many who just hear about it. I learned the virtue of holsters with easily adjustable retention. More for stages with more holstered movement.

Different people respond differently to a DQ. Had one guy who dropped a gun during a cof a few seasons ago, was visibly shook. Stayed around for the rest of the day - never came back.

Another shooter recently DQ'd - AD, visibly shaken,left for the day, has been back every match since and also is a helper in setting up and tearing down.

For those of you commenting on behavior, who do you give kudo's to? I think all of you are too harsh on folks who live in fear of a dq, then have it happen and it shakes them to their core. What inner character is shown if they stay the day and never come back versus take a few hours to get composed, come back and are an integral part of local clubs?

S$%t happens, we all deal with it differently.

Depending on the persons personality a DQ can be traumatic. I think that leaving and some quiet reflection to make the necessary internal adjustment is a good idea. I personally would not make a character judgement if the person left. I would try to put myself in their shoes.

Stay or go after a DQ does not matter to me. Equal class shown either way.

People should do what they are comfortable with and what works best for them.

Some may not understand that they are welcome to stay and may feel others will feel

unsafe with them on the range after a DQ. Some may be embarrassed. Some may have

a better option for how to spend their day given the fact they cannot shoot.

Whatever. I do not judge their class, character or shoe size based on if they stay or go.

As long as they accept their actions and the consequence with maturity and respect for everyone else, they are alright with me and I genuinely hope to see them back on the range at the next match. I do not feel any need to judge them or their actions beyond that.

Edited by lawboy

Stay or go after a DQ does not matter to me. Equal class shown either way.

People should do what they are comfortable with and what works best for them.

Some may not understand that they are welcome to stay and may feel others will feel

unsafe with them on the range after a DQ. Some may be embarrassed. Some may have

a better option for how to spend their day given the fact they cannot shoot.

Whatever. I do not judge their class, character or shoe size based on if they stay or go.

As long as they accept their actions and the consequence with maturity and respect for everyone else, they are alright with me and I genuinely hope to see them back on the range at the next match. I do not feel any need to judge them or their actions beyond that.

Good advice.

I showed up early for my first Match today, brought some extra coffee, helped do some setup, and met some great people.

I was very excited to try my first "real" match.

Half way through the first stage I DQ'd, I kept my finger on the trigger while clearing a mis-feed. I stood there for a moment dumb struck as the RO asked me to unload and show clear. I tried to play back the moment, but it was a blur.

I dropped off my stuff in the car, and came back and helped out for the next stage. Everyone was very kind. I realized that I probably should take off, shake it off, take time to practice some more, and come back another day.

I have to say that I hoped that I would have done a little bit better. My RO was my orientation instructor and he felt really bad, told me the Adrenalin just got the best of me.

No matter how many time you watch a video, or read about someone else, you just can't know what it feels like to have that timer running util you get out and do for yourself.

So, now that I have a DQ out of the way, I can focus on completing a Match clean.

It really does take the air out of your sails for a few hours.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

rg

"As long as they accept their actions and the consequence with maturity and respect for everyone else, they are alright with me and I genuinely hope to see them back on the range at the next match. I do not feel any need to judge them or their actions beyond that."

I agree with this. The main thing is how they take the DQ. If it's an obvious DQ situation or one that the shooter needs to get some explanation on, how does he react after that? If they feel like staying and helping, maybe learning more, great. But, especially for those that regularly go to matches, maybe there is something thing that they can get done with the rest of the day that will allow them to go to another match the next day or next weekend. Most of us have limited time and days we can make it to matches or get the chores done at home. Mark

• 1 month later...

One of my shooting buddies was DQed this weekend. He is a newer shooter with only 5 or 6 matches under his belt. We have warned him numerous times about moving with his finger on the trigger and it never really sunk in to him why that was a rule. Saturday he was moving to engage another target array and had an ND into the berm.

After he unloaded and showed clear I asked him what happened. He finally understood the "WHY" behind the trigger finger thing.

A couple of good points about the DQ:

• Learning occurred
  • He did maintain muzzle awareness and had it pointed downrange so the ND was not a tragic event.
  • He stuck around and scored every target the rest of the day

Tom

Ive been on the receiving end of the call (lost pistol from holster while moving; mag inserted, empty chamber) and I felt that staying was the right thing to do. My situation was a little different because I didnt actually endanger myself or anyone else since there was no round chambered.

IMO that is a very dangerous attitude to have.

Always good to see a positive reaction from a DQ.However I wont judge anyone no matter how they act the first X minutes or if they leave.

I know that when I have a bad stage,that I look like a sore loser,however that isnt the case,thats me figthing me and trying to just burn it off

so I dont sit and dwell and can refresh for the next stage.There is also no excuse to sit and be a bump on a log all day or argue with the RO.

But to some going home can be ammo to battle that inner demon and overcome it.

• 4 weeks later...

Great for her. I wish I'd handled it better when I got DQ'd. Fact is, I was very angry with myself and didn't hang around. I'd like to think if it were to happen again I'd do better.

• 4 weeks later...

There is personality, class and character. The final one overides the other three I think. A couple of years ago at an area match there was a guy on my squad who DQ'd on the 7th shot (shot not target) and was done on a 14 stage match. He had driven 400+ miles to get there, paid I think $150, two nights hotel, think his wife took off work to come watch him shoot and he was done after 7 shots). Not Max or Jerry but maybe a B class older shooter and fair experience. Personality this guy is a competor - He probably went through all those emotions. The squad tried to comfort him and maybe it helped but I saw him leave the bay and head for his car. ahhh class? Well about five minutes later he came back with his auto paster, more water and anothr chair to use during active fire. I could tell he wasn't happy but he had to class to know what his part of the squad completely was - not just to drive 400 miles to shoot. That man stayed the whole two days, pasted, ran for water, helped load mags and was there just as long as any of us. That is character - doing things when sometimes you even don't want to. This is just my take but it sure impresed the hell out of me. I shook his hand, told his wife what a great husband she had and why ... and the next time I (do to me and nobody else) DQ, I remembered that - after the five minutes of personality and felt that much better about sticking around and being a total member of the squad. It's all good, maybe even when you only get to shoot 7 shots.

two months ago I DQ'ed myself on the last round fired on the last stage of a match. I shot a great match and was so hyped up i did not drop my mag on the 'show clear' and fired a round on 'hammer down'.

my buddy was RO'ing me and didn't look for an empty chamber. round went safely down range, but it did go down range.

I would have finished second in my division...