Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ behavior

TeCZas

• 4 weeks later...

two months ago I DQ'ed myself on the last round fired on the last stage of a match. I shot a great match and was so hyped up i did not drop my mag on the 'show clear' and fired a round on 'hammer down'.

my buddy was RO'ing me and didn't look for an empty chamber. round went safely down range, but it did go down range.

I would have finished second in my division...

My buddy did the same thing in a steel match this weekend (didn't drop his mag on "show clear" and fired an AD on "hammer down" that hit the ground about 10 yards downrange). It was only his third match and he handled it great even though it bugged him. He stuck around and watched me shoot the rest of the match, talked and joked with the other competitors, and basically got over it. Another classy response to a AD/DQ.

While he CLEARLY screwed up with an AD, my question is: what about the RO? It's obviously a case where both the shooter and the RO DID NOT look at the "show clear". I told my buddy, "it's your hand on the gun so it's your problem" but I'm interested in what more experienced shooters/ROs think about the role of the RO in this kind of AD.

two months ago I DQ'ed myself on the last round fired on the last stage of a match. I shot a great match and was so hyped up i did not drop my mag on the 'show clear' and fired a round on 'hammer down'.

my buddy was RO'ing me and didn't look for an empty chamber. round went safely down range, but it did go down range.

My buddy did the same thing in a steel match this weekend (didn't drop his mag on "show clear" and fired an AD on "hammer down" that hit the ground about 10 yards downrange). It was only his third match and he handled it great even though it bugged him. He stuck around and watched me shoot the rest of the match, talked and joked with the other competitors, and basically got over it. Another classy response to a AD/DQ.

While he CLEARLY screwed up with an AD, my question is: what about the RO? It's obviously a case where both the shooter and the RO DID NOT look at the "show clear". I told my buddy, "it's your hand on the gun so it's your problem" but I'm interested in what more experienced shooters/ROs think about the role of the RO in this kind of AD.

Were you his ride? :roflol:

The range commands were changed, placing the responsibility on the shooter. They were:

"If you are finished, unload and show clear. Gun clear. Hammer down and holster." This wording placed the responsibility of an empty chamber on the RO. Since some shooters want to get their brass back, they color the case heads. One guy did it in black, and not just a line or two, it was the entire casehead colored black, making it almost impossible to tell if there was a round in the chamber or not.

The UASC commands have now been changed to "If clear, hammer down and holster" and the responsibility is on the shooter.

There is personality, class and character. The final one overides the other three I think. A couple of years ago at an area match there was a guy on my squad who DQ'd on the 7th shot (shot not target) and was done on a 14 stage match. He had driven 400+ miles to get there, paid I think $150, two nights hotel, think his wife took off work to come watch him shoot and he was done after 7 shots). Not Max or Jerry but maybe a B class older shooter and fair experience. Personality this guy is a competor - He probably went through all those emotions. The squad tried to comfort him and maybe it helped but I saw him leave the bay and head for his car. ahhh class? Well about five minutes later he came back with his auto paster, more water and anothr chair to use during active fire. I could tell he wasn't happy but he had to class to know what his part of the squad completely was - not just to drive 400 miles to shoot. That man stayed the whole two days, pasted, ran for water, helped load mags and was there just as long as any of us. That is character - doing things when sometimes you even don't want to. This is just my take but it sure impresed the hell out of me. I shook his hand, told his wife what a great husband she had and why ... and the next time I (do to me and nobody else) DQ, I remembered that - after the five minutes of personality and felt that much better about sticking around and being a total member of the squad. It's all good, maybe even when you only get to shoot 7 shots.

Good story. But I can't help but wonder if his wife got screwed in that deal and his primary responsibility is to her. Had that been me, I would have left, spent two days showing my wife the best possible time available in the local, and caught up to the shooting fraternity at the next match. That also is character in my book. Just an example of why I do not judge people beyond taking responsibility for the DQ and being respectful to others present. The rest of their life after "range is clear," is completely none of my business and of zero interest to me.

Depends on the situation. Assuming that I have the time to actually do something -- in other words a competitor who's actually waiting for and listening to the commands -- I'd feel badly about missing a round/mag, but would still be cognizant that the onus for unloading and showing clear is on the competitor. So, he gets a DQ, and I think about how to do the job better next time.....

For the people who rush through unloading and showing clear -- I don't feel so bad, since they denied themselves the opportunity of being helped by me.....

Had he looked into the chamber and seen the round, do you think he should have warned you?