Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior/Super Senior only match.

Bshooter

How many Senior/ Super Senior shooter do not participate in major matches because they know there shooting ability has slipped and are afraid of where they wll finish in the standings? The high cost of the match plus expenses to get there and motel costs, I believe, discourages the "older" shooters. Most know they will not win, or even get close to the top

I am a senior in USPSA and super senior in IPSC. I just finished shooting the US ISPC Nationals in Frostproof this past weekend. This was a $200 entry fee match plus expenses since it was a three day event. I shot "classic" division, single stack in USPSA. It was a great match and I enjoyed see some of the top shooters along with the many foreign shooters that participated. I finished in the middle of my division. Two seniors were in front of me and two behind.

The stages were challenging although some were quite difficult because of the shooting positions. Going prone on a wood 4x4 bed about 4' x 6', low ports and one requiring a sprint on 2-3" rock to engage some moving targets(they disappeared so not penalties incurred). I enjoyed the match, not complaining at all.

My thought is, how many Senior/Super Seniors would shoot a match where they competed only against their own age. A match with a reasonable entry fee, shot in one day to ease expenses and recognition with plaques for each class in each division. The stages would be challanging with long tight shots but not while laying on your belly or standing on your head because kneeling is next to impossible for some.(Getting up is worse)

Would like to hear some feedback on a match with a minimum age limit. Seniors starting at 55 on up. All divisions recognized for prizes. These are the people who really support the sport and give more to it by donating there time and energy to put on matches at all levels for basically younger shooters(very tallented shooters) who walk away with the prizes. Lets see if we can make this happen.

These are the people who really support the sport and give more to it by donating there time and energy to put on matches at all levels for basically younger shooters(very tallented shooters) who walk away with the prizes. Lets see if we can make this happen.

Sounds like you have been getting frustrated for a long time. I hope there aren't too many senior shooters out there who feel this way.

Edited by Carmoney

For sponsors we can get Depends, Geritol, and Ensure. Ok all kidding aside, I enjoy my self just fine shooting with the youngsters, and kind of enjoy it when some 40 yr old is whining about getting old, so if you have it I'll come, but its gonna be a small match. Sure we are not fleet of foot, our balance isn't as good as it use to be, but our wisdom should give us a good advantage.

I've got 11/2 year to become a Super Senior, I hope to make A class by then.

I'm not even a senior yet (3 more years) and I don't expect to finish at the top as I don't practice enough to get to the top.

As I get older, my goal will change to something like shooting to be top senior or something like that. Just being realistic.

I would shoot in a senior/super senior only match (but still refuse to sign up for AARP :goof: ) AND I would still shoot in some of the big major matches too.

Shooting with younger shooters and better shooters make me try a little harder.

For me, the biggest expense is traveling to these major matches (price of living in paradise I guess).

Best of all, there are still big matches with small entry fees. Some of these matches are way better than some of the majors. Two I can name are: Area 1 and Double Tap.

Shooting is better than working :roflol:

David, I don't feel any frustration at shooting with young

shooters - I'll be 68 in couple months, and enjoy watching

the best shooters, and the upcoming shooters.

Logistics are simply that if you were to have a shoot in

Orlando (Example), you'd get 30 - 60 shooters. If you had

a shoot in Orlando for Seniors only, you'd be lucky to get

five shooters - go to all the work of setting up a great

shoot and have an audience of only five.

Similar to having a shoot of only women - women might get

discouraged to see M & GM's shooting, but there aren't

enough women to get together in an area for a shoot, or

ONLY Juniors. Audience is too small - work is tough -

our club is actively looking to expand number of shooters

at each shoot, not limit it.

It also means that I wouldn't be able to bring my daughter

or grandsons to a Senior Only Shoot - you'd split up

families that shoot together.

I like shooting with young people, juniors and women -

fine with me.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I'm 11 months away from Super Senior, kind of looking forward to it (they say it beats the alternative). But, the morning after an ordinary monthly match has become a mystery, which part of me is going to hurt the most.

I have friends who shoot regularly at the monthly matches, but don't enter the major (more expensive) matches. We talk about it, I think they are missing out. The matches might cost $100 vs. $20 for the monthly, but the events are way more interesting, more intricate stages, a more highly charged atmosphere. I like participating in them. The pressure is a little higher and it makes me feel more alive.

I have wondered if some alteration in how to structure competition among any of the "special categories" might create more attraction for them. Maybe designating squads for seniors, juniors, ladies, military, LE, etc; toward highlighting a more head to head competition. But, the big aspect to keep in mind, I don't think any of the major matches have trouble getting enough competitors. It would be hard to accomodate more people.

Anyway, competitive shooting came into my life about 13 years ago and it motivates me to maintain the best physical condition I can and that is a healthy thing in every respect.

I have quite a ways to go before shooting in the "senior" catagory. I only shoot SS and just barely inched into the bottom of B class earlier this year.

I have no illusions that i am going to win any class in SS but i spend the money to go to bigger matches with my friends where i get my ass kicked more times than not.

Why go? Because i have an absolute blast doing it. I love it. More fun than i can really describe. If the prize table is big enough, i might chance into something nice but that's not why i go. The top awards always go to younger shooters who are better shooters than i am. They also go to older shooters who are better shooters than i am blink.gif

Maybe we can have a match for 49yr old guys who never practice and have bad knees too? roflol.gif

Al

I don't shoot the major matches because I just can't shoot 10-12 stages anymore. At this point, I'm just happy to be out there shooting with everyone. I still like to compete with the other seniors, but I still compare myself to the younger shooters.

Skip

Every day that you wake up on the green side of the grass is a good one...

Edited by BadShot

For sponsors we can get Depends, Geritol, and Ensure. Ok all kidding aside, I enjoy my self just fine shooting with the youngsters, and kind of enjoy it when some 40 yr old is whining about getting old, so if you have it I'll come, but its gonna be a small match. Sure we are not fleet of foot, our balance isn't as good as it use to be, but our wisdom should give us a good advantage.

I've got 11/2 year to become a Super Senior, I hope to make A class by then.

That hurts Ron! :sight:

I'm 52, soon to be 53. It is what it is. When I check the scores for the major matches I shoot I don't even know who wins, nor do I care, because I am looking to see how well I did. And yes it's middle of the pack somewhere. If I can move up just a little from season to season then I'm happy. Even for our local matches we have a GM or two who always shoot. We don't all say, "Damn Chris showed up, there go my chances of winning this month."roflol.gif

I'm in it for the fun, BSing with a few buddies every now and then, and arguing over rules. sight.gif

When I no longer feel like laying on plywood I'll just take the penalties. When I feel uncomfortable sprinting on gravel I'll slow down. So what if that puts me in 25th place instead of 19th?

When it all becomes too much I'll start shooting IDPA or steel.yawn.gif

I'm 52, soon to be 53. It is what it is. When I check the scores for the major matches I shoot I don't even know who wins, nor do I care, because I am looking to see how well I did. And yes it's middle of the pack somewhere. If I can move up just a little from season to season then I'm happy. Even for our local matches we have a GM or two who always shoot. We don't all say, "Damn Chris showed up, there go my chances of winning this month."roflol.gif

I'm in it for the fun, BSing with a few buddies every now and then, and arguing over rules. sight.gif

When I no longer feel like laying on plywood I'll just take the penalties. When I feel uncomfortable sprinting on gravel I'll slow down. So what if that puts me in 25th place instead of 19th?

When it all becomes too much I'll start shooting IDPA or steel.yawn.gif

At Stage 24 you would have to take a zeroed stage.

I have quite a ways to go before shooting in the "senior" catagory. I only shoot SS and just barely inched into the bottom of B class earlier this year.

I have no illusions that i am going to win any class in SS but i spend the money to go to bigger matches with my friends where i get my ass kicked more times than not.

Why go? Because i have an absolute blast doing it. I love it. More fun than i can really describe. If the prize table is big enough, i might chance into something nice but that's not why i go. The top awards always go to younger shooters who are better shooters than i am. They also go to older shooters who are better shooters than i am blink.gif

Maybe we can have a match for 49yr old guys who never practice and have bad knees too? roflol.gif

Al

This! :D

I'm a Senior,turning 58 in a few weeks. I shot a stage at the L10 Michigan sectional where a couple other guys told me, "You shot a lot of points."

At some point, shooting a lot of points is all you have left. I don't mind competing with the kids and I get a big thrill when I beat them.

I look at it as this: I can't outrun them so I'm going to have to outshoot them.

I wouldn't be interested in a Senior only match.....yet. Ask me again when I hit Super Senior..... :cheers:

When I shoot majors, which is 6-10 a year, I will use the two day format anytime I get the chance.

That's another benefit of being old, you have more vacation days and more disposable income. That and grandkids.

It's a win-win, one is older so one is not expected to win HOA but if one does....BONUS!!! :bow: Take that kiddy's!!

I've been shooting USPSA Senior 2 seasons now and feel I'm shooting better than I ever did. And a good bunch of those I see at bigger matches don't seem to be slowing down much. I even know several Super Seniors who are still darn salty.

I doubt if I'd go out of my way shoot a Seniors Only Match though.

It's nice having younger shooters on a squad, they seem more likely to run down and set steel :sight: while I can act like I'm all stove up, until the buzzer goes off :devil:

In my thirties, spent way too much time working. All spare money and time went to my family.

In my forties, the daughters no longer had time for me but now all spare coin went into college funds and my IRA.

Then in my fifties, retirement gave me even more spare time, but the daughters may be out of school but were not yet off the payroll.

Turned sixty. Finally got both the time and a few spare dollars.

Call me a senior if you want, but I'll do my best to kick butt of anyone half my age. Not often successful but still do well enough to keep 'em honest.

No senior only matches for me (all those old guys are sick and might be contagious) but I'll try to compete in any Major Match within reasonable driving distance. I hope to work at a few of them too.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I think I picked a scab on this topic. I shoot a lot of major matches. The biggest is the SS nationals. Have been shooting it since it has been in Barry and shot it once in Milan, Illinois. I enjoy shooting against any young punk who can run like a deer and not pant when he gets there.

I am not saying I don't like to shoot with good shooters. There are a lot of good Senior/super senior shooters that do not shoot major matches that may be interested in shooting a match that is limited to Senior/Super Senior shooters. I think it would be a blast to shoot against only Senior/Super Senior just for fun.

I think it would be interesting to see how many would like to see this match take place.

Bshooter

my wife laughed at me the frist three times I brought home a Senior Trophy from a 3gun event. I like out running the young guys, Not out shooting just out running.

my wife is just now getting out of her wheel chair and useing a walker for the next few weeks after breaking both her ankels.

<_< I may have to go to the range or the next match just to get some photos with the Walker on the stages ;) after she is done with it.

Edited by AlamoShooter

The day I go to a match predicated on where I will place is the day I am in this sport for the wrong reason. I'm heading to my fourth Nationals and I shoot for the crazy challenge and utter fun of this sport and the people I meet. I will doubtless be far enough down in the results that the prize table will reward me with a shockbuff. Couldn't care less. The only competition I have is if I shoot my best game or not.

I probably wouldn't do a Seniors only match. Then again I also won't shop on "Senior Wednesday". LOL

Edited by Neomet