Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

Vortex in action on my Noveske. Used it on Saturday in a LEO 2 gun match and took 1st place.

Pat

nicely done. Very fast in the supported Lewinsky position...what distance was that?

Not that far about 40 yards or so but there were No shoots all over the place.

Pat

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard about these bad boys and the reviews are top notch. Much cheaper than a Swaro. Is there any retailer that offers these? The ones that offer these on their websites declare "Shipped from vendor". I'd love to see one but can't buy sight unseen.

If your ever get down to Madison, Vortex office has a "showroom" in the front with all of there products on display. All of there rifle scopes are mounted on plastic stocks that you can throw up to your shoulder and see how you like it. They will even let you take them outside and look through them in the daylight. You won't go wrong buying one. If you do decide to go forward check this out. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173562

Just a fast observation.

Went into a local gun store to look at their JP PSC upper they had.

Well right behind the counter was a TR24, Vortext PST 1-4, and Vortext Razor Gen II 1-6. I asked if I could look at them and mount them up in the gun stock they had. Well here are my limited observations and I would like to see if they are correct or if it could be that I was inside a small store.

Clarity - PST obviously was the least clear but inside to my eyes I really couldn't tell a difference between the TR24 and Razor 1-6

Eye box - Once again PST was the least friendly but to my suprise on 1x the TR24 was easier for me and the guy behind the counter

Illumination - I have to give a big thumbs up to the 1-6 razor on this one. I felt that it was as bright as any aimpoint I have ever used and leaps and bounds ahead of the PST. The TR24 obviously is bright but it is different

weight - Holy cow the 1-6 is a tank and feel like I could run over it and still use it

So overall I was impressed by the 1-6 but I was a little suprised that the tr24 in the 1x eyebox was better and the clarity was as good (obviously this could change in outdoor environment)

as always

YMMV

IF you thought that the Razor lacked any thing in the 1X eye box it would be in how you focused it to your eye.

The 1-6 Razor has a eye box that "when set for your vision" is very Clear- Sharp- and a True 1X setting. Setting the eye box Ocular ring to your what ever correction your eye requires is not a quick set "close enough" job. Just like at the eye Dr. sets lenses for best vision for you , The Eye box on the 1-6 needs to be fine set for you vision. When its not right your eye , or at least a young persons eye will flex and reset to make up for it being Off. when the eye box is wrong, and depending on how good your eyes are that may take 0.25 seconds or like me it will take 1.5 seconds and only hold nice and clear until my eyes get tired with the scopes eye box set wrong. With the eye box set for my vision = I can spend hrs looking through my scope setting the gun up for small shots with very little eye strain. When the eye box is set rite a shooter can see at 100 yards much better at 1X than with the naked eye. for someone like me being almost 57 years old = I can see even at 30 - 50 to 100 yards better trough the scope at 1X than with my naked eye.

Let me know if I helped you out, or just confused you more.

Jamie

Yup if ya read the instructions it explains this....I know I know instructions...

I think the biggest thing is the Sales guys are supposed to read them too. A good sales man will help a person find what fits there needs the best, and still get close to the budget. I think its not good sales to leave out what the next best step in quality.

Jamie,

thanks for reviews and your post for the Razor, Now I have 2 of these excellent scopes, and to Omar for a fast shipping to my U.S. address, although it took another 2 weeks to finally land to my Canadian Residence, I have to used a U.S. exporter and a Canadian importer to legally bring it to Canada.

Has anybody tried to lightened the magnification ring on their Razor, I find it on the stiff side, although Scott of Vortex mentioned that it was purposely designed to protect the erector especially since majority of the Razors owners are 3 gunners and used the throw levers. If only the Razors weighs in the 12-140zs, it would be perfect. So far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Quick question. What kind of mount do you recommend, as in what offset, 1 3/4, 2, or 3 inch offset? Right now I have the Warne SKEL mount from a goody bag, but I like to get my nose as close to the charging handle as possible and doing the math it would be a little scrunched with the stock fully extended. So should I stick with the mount I have, or buy something like a LT-139 or a AD RECON-X?

I have a JP standard offset mount and it wasn't near enough. I use a old A2 stock which fits me well but puts my face farther forward. I also have a standard LaRue 104 and I had to place the mount clear to the front of the rail and it was barely enough and would have worked better hanging off the front of the rail. I ended up ordering a JP extended mount to get there. Haven't got it yet but it should be just fine. One of the other shooters that commented on this thread has a LaRue extended for his. You won't be able to get the full benefit of the great eye relief without the extended mounts. I think the JP is a 3" offset. I really like the JP mounts. they are built as solid as you could ever find and I see no need for a quick release on my 3gun optics. I don't plan on taking them off and on very often. The JP mount uses a really long clamping surface and isn't going anywhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love these Vortex scopes... I just got myself a third one, bahaha. Vortex has a ton of stuff in the works that will be introduced at SHOT 2014 and I will certainly be bringing back pictures, but from looking at the product info I definitely think the JM-1 reticle is going to remain the cat's meow for 3 gun.