Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

I hope Vortex brings out a 2-12 or a 3-18 based on the Razor 2. I would buy one in a second for my precision AR.

Pat

There's a thread in the scope section of Sniper's Hide about the new Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50 and 4.5-27x56. Also updated reticles for the 1-6, a MOA reticle and a mil one. Edited by californiasushi

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Vortex brings out a 2-12 or a 3-18 based on the Razor 2. I would buy one in a second for my precision AR.

Pat

There's a thread in the scope section of Sniper's Hide about the new Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50 and 4.5-27x56. Also updated reticles for the 1-6, a MOA reticle and a mil one.

Sweet thanks!

Pat

Pat

There's a thread in the scope section of Sniper's Hide about the new Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50 and 4.5-27x56. Also updated reticles for the 1-6, a MOA reticle and a mil one.

Yep, I am definitely getting myself a 3-18 Razor Gen II, I cannot wait :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered my 2nd Vortex 1-6 from Omar.

Thanks

Carlos

Thank you, Carlos and it is going out today :)

If I had the cash for another vortex it'd definetely do business with Omar again.

When you need Vortex call my name

'cause without Vortex my life just wouldn't be the same

If you want Vortex come sunny skies or rain

When you need Vortex just call my name

Eye box, I'm guessing, means AFOV. Does anyone know what the AFOV actually is on this (in degrees)?

Well, kind of. Apparent field of view is certainly related to how a scopes "eye box" is, but AFOV is just one part of the equation. You can certainly have two scopes that have the exact same AFOV, but yet one may have a more forgiving eye box than the other. This is because the eye box of a scope is a combonation of AFOV,eye relief, and the optical design in general.

When it comes down to comparing the "eye box" on different scopes your best bet is to try to get some actual shooting time behind said scopes.

Best Regards

Scott

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the eye box term. I have a background in astronomy and satellite optics, however.

From what you're saying I would take eye box to mean the window of eye positions with a clear view (so eye relief along with depth of focus and AFOV).

23.5 degrees makes no sense for an AFOV, however. That must be the true field of view, rather than the apparent one.

I have some specialized telescope eyepieces with a 30 degree AFOV, and it's like looking through a soda straw. I've never seen through this scope, but I'd guess it's gotta be minimum 55 degrees. 55 degrees comes from a basic plossl eye lens design. However, from comments I've read, I'd guess that this guy runs a nagler-ish design (integrates a Barlow that gives a more forgiving eye relief and better AFOV) on the eye lens for ~70 degrees AFOV.

The integrated Barlow design would explain the weight and the size of the eye lenses in the vortex scope.

jtaylor,

When comparing AFOV between spotting/tele scopes/bino's and riflescopes you have to take the actual FOV and eye relief into consideration. The actual FOV on the former is generally MUCH wider than riflescopes. A main cause of this is the very different eye relief lengths. Eye relief on the former is MUCH shorter than the eye relief on the latter. Common eye relief on spotting scopes is 15mm-22mm, whereas common eye relief's for riflescopes are 80mm-100mm.

With that in mind here is a very simplified way to describe the affects of eye relief on FOV and AFOV. Imagine we are looking through a whole in a piece of paper. If we start with holding the paper away from us and gradually bring it closer to our eye we will notice that we will get a wider FOV the closer we get to our eye. This is a VERY siplified explanation, but the same is true when considering/designing an optical design.

Lets remember that AFOV is simply the actual FOV(degrees) multiplied by the magnification.

All that being said, an AFOV of 23.5 degrees on a riflescope is considered to be exceptionally wide,especially with 4" of eye relief. Visually,the perception would probably be similar to a 65-70 degree AFOV in a spotting/tele scope. I am only aware of one other riflescope that has a similarly wide AFOV and FOV.

Hopefully I explained this well enough. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Best Regards

Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that explanation. Especially including the info on the spotting scopes.

Nikon makes fantastic eyepieces for spotting scopes that get used for telescopes as well (72 deg AFOV, I believe). Pentax has some crossover as well with the XW line (they also make some specialized astro EPs, unlike nikon). So that is something I can directly compare to your explanation.

My supermono eyepieces I use on telescopes (with the 30degree AFOV) do in fact have extraordinarily short eye relief (like a couple mm on a 4mm FL EP).

Still, I may just have to go somewhere with stock and compare. Unfortunately, finding AFOV info for rifle scopes is difficult. Do you have numbers for some comparable scopes? Like the tac30 or mtac vs the vortex 1-4 pst (I think bass pro carries those)?

I was sick and tired of reading all of these post about how great the Vortex Gen II w/ JM reticle scope is so I broke down and bought one. Zeroed it today at 200 and that was quick and easy. Love how small the illuminated dot is in the reticle. Glass was very clear. Will get to stretch its legs this Saturday at the NTXMG match. Hopefully we will be going out to 500 to see how this BDC works out.

Current scope is the Swaro and I love it except for the size of the illuminated dot.

I will report back after the match this Sat.

I packed one of these up from another BE member. I love the optics but there is a lot of resistance when changing powers even with a throw lever attached.

It's so stiff that I basically have to tuck the stock under my arm and crank away but even then it takes me about 3 seconds to change from 1x to 6x. Is something wrong?

The previous owner mentioned removing some residual Cerakote and I wonder whether that could have affected something.

That actually sounds normal. The power adjustment rings are pretty stiff. I know some folks have sent theirs back to Vortex to have them loosened up a little. I re-positioned my throw lever so that 1x Is all the way down on the left, just enough to get a finger under. It seems to give me little more leverage.

I packed one of these up from another BE member. I love the optics but there is a lot of resistance when changing powers even with a throw lever attached.

It's so stiff that I basically have to tuck the stock under my arm and crank away but even then it takes me about 3 seconds to change from 1x to 6x. Is something wrong?

The previous owner mentioned removing some residual Cerakote and I wonder whether that could have affected something.

Not sure what is normal for most, but I know my friend's Razor 1-6 is much more stiff than mine. I can easily rotate mine over with MGM throw lever with weak hand, while his can be also, but takes noticeably more force to do so.

As soon as I get enough post to list a couple of single stacks, I will be calling Omar. I need a scope yesterday !!!! Looking forward to the 1x6. I know have a 4x16 and it tracks as well as can be. Very pleased. Always wondered if Vortex may not be affiliated with Nightforce.

Tommy Roupe

As soon as I get enough post to list a couple of single stacks, I will be calling Omar. I need a scope yesterday !!!! Looking forward to the 1x6. I know have a 4x16 and it tracks as well as can be. Very pleased. Always wondered if Vortex may not be affiliated with Nightforce.

Tommy Roupe

Definitely not affiliated with Nightforce, unless by affiliated you mean soon to be blowing them out of the water!!!

-Omar