Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some links on how to set it: how to set diopter on scope

I've always used a clear sky as a backdrop, but whatever works for you.

AlamoShooter had good advice earlier in this thread or another one to mark the diopter position with a paint pen/sharpie in case someone moves it on you. I had that happen on a stage a while back........showed my scope to someone during down time between stages, they moved the diopter without me knowing, and on the next stage I brought the scope up and things were blurry. Thought it was my glasses. :) I quickly put it back to where it was supposed to be once the stage was done.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys whats the max eye relief on this scope?

I'm wondering if I could mount it scout rifle style on my M1A?

It has generous eye relief at the listed 4" but not long enough for a scout rifle.

Hey guys whats the max eye relief on this scope?

I'm wondering if I could mount it scout rifle style on my M1A?

It has generous eye relief at the listed 4" but not long enough for a scout rifle.

I may still mount one on my M1A since my eyes are not so good with irons at distances over 100 yards. I like everything I've read about this scope.

Edited by Willz

With a good mount it will work very well for that rifle. Was out yesterday with a friend's new M1A Scout and it was a great shooter. Hitting a half sized IPSC steel at 400 with 147grn Port surplus and open sights. Would have been much easier with the Vortex LOL

With a good mount it will work very well for that rifle. Was out yesterday with a friend's new M1A Scout and it was a great shooter. Hitting a half sized IPSC steel at 400 with 147grn Port surplus and open sights. Would have been much easier with the Vortex LOL

Probably going with a Sadlak.

Probably going with a Sadlak.

Another M1A mount that is very solid and doesn't use the hole on the side of the receiver.

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount_EX.html

I've seen that one and it seems very strong but it mounts where the rear sight lives.

I'd rather be able to remove the scope and mount and have irons ready and not have re-assemble the entire rear sight as a result.

Hey I know those guys! The m14.ca CASM mount is stellar :D

I'm a big fan of the 1-6, but some days I can feel the weight and wonder why I didn't just keep my 1-4 PST

Comparing the 1-6 Razor and a 1-4 PST is a night and day difference. The superior illumination, extra 2 powers, and huge FOV are big sellers for me. I love my 1-6 Razor and although it's a little heavy it doesn't matter much ,IMO, unless trying to run a super light rifle.

I also am a big fan of the Razor II with the J.M. reticle. I really like the B.C. as it is intrinsic to use instead of the load to match mils of the Swarovski. I had the Swaro, but I was happy to replace it with the Razor, a much better reticle design and the illumination is just as bright and the on off locks! Vortex has done a better job for a 3-gun scope!!!

I also am a big fan of the Razor II with the J.M. reticle. I really like the B.C. as it is intrinsic to use instead of the load to match mils of the Swarovski. I had the Swaro, but I was happy to replace it with the Razor, a much better reticle design and the illumination is just as bright and the on off locks! Vortex has done a better job for a 3-gun scope!!!

Kurt, is your scope's power adjustment ring stiff? If so what can be done to loosen it up?

Thanks

Kurt, is your scope's power adjustment ring stiff? If so what can be done to loosen it up?

Thanks

Yes, they are stiff. It's discussed earlier on this thread. Some have sent them back to vortex to loosen them up.

Thanks

Yes, they are stiff. It's discussed earlier on this thread. Some have sent them back to vortex to loosen them up.

Sorry, only check into this thread once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice bearcave! I hope to play with the BDC this weekend.

Did a quick comparison to a TR24....the eyebox is not quite as large/forgiving on the vortex, but it is pretty close; which says a lot. Because the TR24 is not picky at all.

What I did initially notice yesterday playing around with 1X on the vortex was that it made objects seem smaller....I am talking about at close objects ~ 15 yard away. And with both eyes open it was a bit disorienting. Then I noticed the focus adjustment was turned all the way in (clockwise). I turned it out counter clockwise a bit and was able to tune the 1x so objects ~ 15 yards seemed truly 1x. I don't know if the focus ring is shipped from the factory turned in all the way, and I don't know if the focus ring also has the dual purpose if fine tuning @ 1x. I guess I will find out at the range when my distant targets seems blurry.

As for the objects looking smaller at 1x i am noticing that too when objects are fairly close within the 15 yards as well.. Can anyone explain why that is? maybe slap some knowledge on me? Is it like that with all 1x scopes to some degree?.. it seems when I put it to about 1.25 then everything is almost spot on.

Edited by Jukez

Make sure you have your reticle focus with the ocular set correctly. Quick story I just mounted one for a friend and then pulled it up to my eye at 1x and the view was kind of what you said. I got the reticle in focus and it went away and view was nice and clear.

Here's a view of mine out my front room window, hence the curtain on the right lol, at 1x on a pole about 10 yards away. Nice and clear for me. In person it looks better as I am not good at through the scope pics.

DSCN2070_zps995ddf8a.jpg