Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, just got back from the range for the 1st time with this beast. awesome scope. bore sighted it on neighbor's forehead across the street before i left. shot 3 rounds at 100 and was real close. couple clicks and it's dead at 100. dialed in the estimated drop at 200 and set target to 200...minor adjustment and the 200 zero is on. zero the turrets and set a target at 300. fire 5 shots, walk down range and WTF? nice group, about 7" low. idiot! realized i used the dot for 300...gay. go back and try again at 300 using the first tree. back down range and i am friggin' done. nice sub moa group dead on at 300. after that, it was too easy at 360 and 410 yds on a flasher. tried a 2' x 3' rectangle up a hill at 560 yds...first shot money. quit for the day.

glass is clear...real clear-acog clear. field of view a joke. at 300 yds i can see tons of stuff . so used to 3.5x that i was in shock seeing hits on a flasher at 350+. going to a 3 gun match sunday to put it thru it's paces on the clock.

at 58, my eyes are not like they once were and now i can honestly see wtf i'm shooting at beyond 300 yds. might add this is just plain cheating. you guys that have been using swaros and this thing should be ashamed of yourself. :devil:

Pointed your gun at the neighbor's head!!! Ever hear the first rule on guns is THAT YOU NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY AND THEN YOU POST IT ON ENOS!! And then the next post thinks that it is funny! Really!!

ok, just got back from the range for the 1st time with this beast. awesome scope. bore sighted it on neighbor's forehead across the street before i left. shot 3 rounds at 100 and was real close. couple clicks and it's dead at 100. dialed in the estimated drop at 200 and set target to 200...minor adjustment and the 200 zero is on. zero the turrets and set a target at 300. fire 5 shots, walk down range and WTF? nice group, about 7" low. idiot! realized i used the dot for 300...gay. go back and try again at 300 using the first tree. back down range and i am friggin' done. nice sub moa group dead on at 300. after that, it was too easy at 360 and 410 yds on a flasher. tried a 2' x 3' rectangle up a hill at 560 yds...first shot money. quit for the day.

glass is clear...real clear-acog clear. field of view a joke. at 300 yds i can see tons of stuff . so used to 3.5x that i was in shock seeing hits on a flasher at 350+. going to a 3 gun match sunday to put it thru it's paces on the clock.

at 58, my eyes are not like they once were and now i can honestly see wtf i'm shooting at beyond 300 yds. might add this is just plain cheating. you guys that have been using swaros and this thing should be ashamed of yourself. :devil:

Pointed your gun at the neighbor's head!!! Ever hear the first rule on guns is THAT YOU NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY AND THEN YOU POST IT ON ENOS!! And then the next post thinks that it is funny! Really!!

take a chill pill, dude...of course it was a joke.

take a chill pill, dude...of course it was a joke.

And just how is any one reading it know it was a joke? Very bad joke!

Shot the Vortex in Tac optics today on top of my Noveske and my Swaro on top of my JP.

I used the scope today all at short range (50 yards or less) due to having only 50 yard bay to hold the match on. I observed the Vortex was clear and bright despite having glare from the snow. The field of view was great and I was able to get on the reticle very quickly after the buzzer comparable to a red dot sight. Like I said before the glass is very comparable to my Swarovski which I also used in this match in Open division. One more minor downside to the vortex is the power dial (to change magnification) is very stiff even with a cat tail on it. Its the hardest scope to change quickly but its doable. You just have to use your man hands for sure though.

Took 2nd in open and 2nd in Tac. I also shot both rifles today to compare them. The JP has a low mass system and the Noveske is a full mass. The Noveske weighs 3 ounces more at 9 pounds 12 ounces unloaded with the Vortex and the JP comes in at 9 pounds 9 ounces with the Swaro and the Aimpoint R1 in an off set sight. The Noveske seemed slightly smoother while the JP felt softer. Its hard to explain. Both rifles shot well. I did find out that you need to clean the low mass system a lot more often as towards the end of the match I could not chamber a round from the mag on the make ready command I had to drop a round into the chamber manually and then let the bolt fly home. It did not have enough omph to strip the round out of the mag when it got dirty but it cycled fine while shooting. So note to self clean JP before every match.
Pat Edited by Alaskapopo

On Pat's coment about Feel

I think - That when a 1-6 Razor is mounted on a good gun - "the better Feel" - when its shot comes from the better eye relife / forgivness of the 1-6 Razor.

Every time someone shoots my gun they say it has "Something better in the feel" Granted most of that is the JP setup includeing the the captured buffer spring. Guys with the same setup get a look on their face , that my gun seems smoother.

Durring recoil your not seeing the reticle move around as much with other scopes. so the feedback off seeing hits on steel and the closer shots on paper is one that the gun is smother.

<_< just my thoughts, and observations, But I see "That Look" on the face of every one that gets a chance to test the setup.

I think evey round shot like that in my gun , Sells a JP rifle and a Vortex scope. Word of mouth is a powerfull tool.

Edited by AlamoShooter

• 2 weeks later...

After reading these posts and looking at a couple of other brand scopes I bought the Vortex Razor HD Gen II. It is replacing my much used and loved MTAC. I got it Wednesday night mounted it on my Burris PEPR mount and bored sighted it to get it on paper.

I built my rifle, it is a Rifle Gear lower, Seekins upper, Loki 18" fluted barrel, and CMC 3.5# flat trigger with a Lancer carbon fiber full length rifle handguard and Thor compensator.

Was going to shoot a long range 3-gun match at CCC Saturday, 4-stages all steel from 100-500 yards. I had a few minutes Friday morning before work to run to the range to sight it in. Got it close at 50, got it a couple of inches high at 100, and zeroed it as best as I could with what little time I had at 200 as is suggested. After struggling a little on the first stage in the prone position to figure out my eye relief and where to put my cheek weld it was great great. It was a overcast day so I turned the dot down and all I had to do was put the dot on the steel somewhere high or low to hit them out to 300 yards. At the 400 plus ones I went to the BDC marks and was right on. Very clear, I have lousy eyes and could see bullet marks on the steel out to 300 yards. I was shooting my loads of Tac powder and 75gr Hornady Match BTHP's. Thanks all for the reviews.

gerritm

A bit of praise that I'm still very happy with the decision to pick up the Vortex. At SMM3G......easy stuff, love the dot on the close stuff:

sounds like you understand the "JOY Factor" I was talking about. seeing the targets take the Hit is fun.

Anyone running one of these on a 308 AR?

How do the drop downs work with the heavy rifle?

Yep. I'm going to run a 135 SMK @ 2800 fps, should hit the drops just about perfect. Get a good ballistics calculator & match your load to the drops. If you need more help let me know, I crunched some numbers to get my load data.

Yep, i've decided to put one of these on my LRP-07. My main match load is 155gr SMK @ 2650fps. Lines up with the subtensions about as perfect as I could ask for. Almost like this scope was made for my kit. I won't need to adjust my load at all and it even lines up perfectly at the 6000ft alt. I usually shoot at.

Edited by co-exprs

Yep, i've decided to put one of these on my LRP-07. My main match load is 155gr SMK @ 2650fps. Lines up with the subtensions about as perfect as I could ask for. Almost like this scope was made for my kit. I won't need to adjust my load at all and it even lines up perfectly at the 6000ft I usually shoot at.

Thats Skill or Luck , both are good.

When the subtensions do not work out adjusting the sight in distance can do the trick.

for 223 I have my 200y sight in with 69 gr bullets hit just at to 1" over the top of the bar. that makes my 55gr bullets work fine out to 300 & 400 yards and my 69 work fine out to what ever a 3G match can throw at us.

That's how I zero. I dial in the rifle for 400yds with the 400yd mark. Splits whatever error there might be between the BDC and my load and puts the error on close targets, which are more forgiving. Who cares if you are within half an inch at 100yds when you are dead on for 4, 5 and 600.

And I'll take the luck thankyou. In this neck of the woods I'm only a mediocre rifleman. I've watched JJ smoke entire squads with a 16" 308 and irons and Casanova practices offhand on 10" 300yd steel. Hoser and RJ can knit you a sweater at 1000yds, and Caulkin can hit a runnin rabbit with a $3 pistol. You gotta get up early and put on your man pants to win anything around here. I'm tryin to keep up, but mostly I'm along for the show.

Edited by co-exprs

Anyone running one of these on a 308 AR?

How do the drop downs work with the heavy rifle?

Yep. I'm going to run a 135 SMK @ 2800 fps, should hit the drops just about perfect. Get a good ballistics calculator & match your load to the drops. If you need more help let me know, I crunched some numbers to get my load data.

Got 135 SMK test loads waiting for the weather to clear out and now my new Vortex 1-6 to show up.

On Pat's coment about Feel

I think - That when a 1-6 Razor is mounted on a good gun - "the better Feel" - when its shot comes from the better eye relife / forgivness of the 1-6 Razor.

Every time someone shoots my gun they say it has "Something better in the feel" Granted most of that is the JP setup includeing the the captured buffer spring. Guys with the same setup get a look on their face , that my gun seems smoother.

Durring recoil your not seeing the reticle move around as much with other scopes. so the feedback off seeing hits on steel and the closer shots on paper is one that the gun is smother.

<_< just my thoughts, and observations, But I see "That Look" on the face of every one that gets a chance to test the setup.

I think evey round shot like that in my gun , Sells a JP rifle and a Vortex scope. Word of mouth is a powerfull tool.

Having shot Jamie's setup, I can attest to what he's saying. He let me play with the rifle / scope combo at Rock Castle last year on the site-in range; I shot 6rds at some hanging rifle steel at maybe 70yds and the dot never left the steel and the gun felt like it was on fullauto. Don't know just how quickly I was able to fire the follow-up shots, but it was pretty damn quick and all rounds struck the target. It was pretty amazing.

I like the Vortex 1-6 so much that my M4 here in A-Stan is sporting one during this deployment. With the shitty M4 MILSPEC trigger, it's like putting lipstick on a pig - but the Vortex is all I could ever ask for in a battle-scope.

My next Vortex purchase when funds allow will be the Razor 5-20 for my precision bolt gun. I looked through a friends the other day and wow it was great. Compared it directly to a Nightforce he had in 5.5-22 and I liked the Vortex better.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

My next Vortex purchase when funds allow will be the Razor 5-20 for my precision bolt gun. I looked through a friends the other day and wow it was great. Compared it directly to a Nightforce he had in 5.5-22 and I liked the Vortex better.

Pat

The thing I like the most about my 5-20 Razor is the detail I get as the bullet strikes my 500 & 550 yard steel. several times I have told the Spoter ware to find my hit on the target.