Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Single Stack Nationals

sperman

name='Bubber' timestamp='1365466833' post='1909612']

Is there stage descriptions yet. I know it is @ 250 rounds but was wondering if anything that I should prepare for, ( 50 yards, 25yards) Other than that I am good to go. Shooting Revo only. I am cheap that way. Roger Davis[/u]

I believe they have had a standards stage using turning targets every year that I've attended. IIRC from last year, it started at 35yd and went to 25 and 15yd.

Edited by Signcutter

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='Bubber' timestamp='1365466833' post='1909612']

Is there stage descriptions yet. I know it is @ 250 rounds but was wondering if anything that I should prepare for, ( 50 yards, 25yards) Other than that I am good to go. Shooting Revo only. I am cheap that way. Roger Davis[/u]

I believe they have had a standards stage using turning targets every year that I've attended. IIRC from last year, it started at 35yd and went to 25 and 15yd.

I think it is called the six in six challenge.

from way back, at the beep the 3 paper targets turn toward you, draw, fire six shots, reload, fire another six, all free-style, then the targets automatically turn back after the 6 seconds is up.

the next string you walk up closer, maybe 15 yards, at the beep the 3 targets turn towards you again, draw, strong hand only, 2, 2, 2, done, again after six seconds the targets turn back where they are bladed to you and all you see is the skinny edge of the cardboard target.

the third and last string, you step even closer, maybe 7 yards, same, same at the beep, draw, switch to weak hand only, 2, 2, 2, and again when the 6 seconds is up, the targets blade.

I was a clipboard commando at the 2008 SS Nat's, and that was the only DQ I have ever handed out. Guy was doing his reload on string one, gun pointed upwards, finger inside trigger guard and BANG!

At most, I am guessing there only 10 shooters out of the close to 300 who got all 8 hits on each of the three targets.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to my first national match and I have a concern in how much ammo to bring. I will be flying on Southwest and I understand there is an 11lb limit. How strict are they? I believe the round count is 225+ chrono. I think/know 400 45 acp will be over the 11 lbs. so, what do you bring for round count and what issues do you have with the airlines?

Thanks in advance!

I fly Southwest all the time. How many bags are you checking? Put 2 hundred in one and 2 in the other. They most often just ask if its separate from the gun case. Meaning there is no ammo in your lock gun box. Not the suitcase itself. make sure! your not over weight on either one. They have never weighed mine.

Good luck!

Any word on the effects of the flooding around Quincy/Hannibal?

Looks like the Mississippi is still high in the Quincy/Hannibal area and the Illinois is flooding east of Barry. I don't see anything for Barry.

Didn't know there was any flooding going on up there. Whatever you find, it can't be as bad as what we found in 1993, when the Mississippi broached its banks in areas in what was called a 100 years flood (national news every night for weeks). We usually would drive up from St. Louis on the MS side. Forget it that year; it was all gone. The road going south from Quincy to Barry on the IL side was pretty much fine although the river at some places was all the across the fields about a mile lapping at the sides of the road. Some entrance/exit ramps were flooded out, and in some locations, you'd see an overpass bridge rising up out of the water and going back down to---nothing. The range, however, was fine; no problems there. (Except for thursday morning when there was 5-6 inches in just a couple of hours and they stopped the match, meaning we doubled up stages we had to shoot for friday.) The most striking thing about it all was that you could get on top of the Hotel Elkton in the evening and look west over the Mississippi into Missouri and there WAS NO Missouri. The water from that viewpoint went all the way to the horizon.

Now that I have battle the bluegrass down and the indiana ss match behind me it is time for one more club match and then shooting the ss nats on Friday.

With the passing of Russell I would bet that this is a tribute match to his last 17 years of running and the stages will resemble that flavor he had added.

Just don't want to finish in open like last year

A quick check of the weather makes rain and mud gear look adviseable again this year. I'm also packing an extra jersey in case I slide down the hill again this year!

BB

I will have everything set up to start at 4:00 PM. As I understand it, you can look but not play on the stages. Technically the range is closed. Staff is shooting the match today (Wednesday).