Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you own a Surefire 60 round magazine?

rtr

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used mine in several matches and it has worked perfect. But there has been some issues with the follower/spring nose diving and catching inside the mag when I load it. As long as I catch this issue while loading and unload the mag and relase the spring/follower it works great. So far I have fixed this before running the mag. Still debating whether to send it back. I have a couple of P-mags with Nordic exts. and they have run perfect every time. Problem is when dumping them in a barrel or going prone the Sure Fire is the better choice.

gerritm

Dont have one, dont plan to buy one at $100 either, I've seen too many of them fail.

Maybe I'll buy a few when they hit $20 so I can afford to throw away the ones that dont work.

I have 2 Surefire mags and have had good luck with them. Only had one day when one malfunctioned and it was due to me using some ball reloads I made that were slightly longer than they should have been. I generally run my 52 grain Sierra's in my Surefire mag as its easy to make this bullet short in OAL and the mag runs great with it. My friends have had no issue with reloads using montana gold 55 grain FMJ. Just keep your OAL down. I have even had my Nordic 48 rond extension cost me time on a stage when a 77 grain Sierra caught up where the mag joins the mag extension. I only run short jhps or ball in my high cap mags now. If I need heavy match bullets I run a coupled P mag set up.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Mine works great.I've used it in almost every stage for three matches now. It works great in my M16 too. Best large capacity mag I have ever used. My P mag with a Nordic extension sucks.It's a paper weight. My Beta mag works ok but its really too big and heavy.

My P mag with a Nordic extension sucks.It's a paper weight. My Beta mag works ok but its really too big and heavy.

I like my Surefire, but I don't go anywhere without my Nordic 48 rounder. While my Surefire runs great....you never know!

I have 2 Surefire mags and have had good luck with them. Only had one day when one malfunctioned and it was due to me using some ball reloads I made that were slightly longer than they should have been. I generally run my 52 grain Sierra's in my Surefire mag as its easy to make this bullet short in OAL and the mag runs great with it. My friends have had no issue with reloads using montana gold 55 grain FMJ. Just keep your OAL down. I have even had my Nordic 48 rond extension cost me time on a stage when a 77 grain Sierra caught up where the mag joins the mag extension. I only run short jhps or ball in my high cap mags now. If I need heavy match bullets I run a coupled P mag set up.

Pat

How short do you load them? 2.240"?

My P mag with a Nordic extension sucks.It's a paper weight. My Beta mag works ok but its really too big and heavy.

I like my Surefire, but I don't go anywhere without my Nordic 48 rounder. While my Surefire runs great....you never know!

+1

Same here. i got it at Smm3g and ran the match using it, worked! Nordic is trusted and ready to go just in case :surprise:

again, try not to drop it ;)

my first Surefire mag ran fine after I cleaned up the in sided transition insert with a jewelers file. It was trashed in my explosion and after a call to Surefire to detail my folly they agreed to see if they could fix it.

Surefire sent me a New mag = Thanks=

The new MAG has much better in sided finish than the first one. :cheers:

An open class shooter on our squad at SMM3G had one. When the rifle was straight, it fed fine. When he tipped the rifle on an angle to use his short range iron sights, the follower would bind; he was constantly slapping the bottom of the mag under that circumstance.

An open class shooter on our squad at SMM3G had one. When the rifle was straight, it fed fine. When he tipped the rifle on an angle to use his short range iron sights, the follower would bind; he was constantly slapping the bottom of the mag under that circumstance.

That would have been me :angry:, to be fair it wasn't only the surefire mag that it was doing it to me. The Pmag / Lancer / Pmag w/ Nordic extension would cause the bolt to bind and slapping the bottom of the mag was the only way to release it. :(

The surefire mag itself has not caused me one jam, like many here have said about it. But that does remind me that I need to call JP, and see if they can fix the issue with my rifle jamming up like that :huh:

I am on my second Surefire mag. The first one gave me problems with all ammo so I canned it. The second one runs with 55gr ammo just fine.

Here is what I have discovered, don't shoot 68gr or longer bullets and load it by hand, not with a lula loader. I've had jams with 50gr Vmax, 60gr Vmax and 68 OTM bullets but it seems to run all the 55gr fmj I can throw at it. The first time I loaded up all the way with 60gr Vmax, it rubbed the front of one of the bullets up the inside of the mag and ground down the plastic tip.

I am only going to use the surefire for hoser stages and using 55gr fmj ammo. My Nordic/Pmag runs but I never load it past 45. For Long range stages, 2 Pmags coupled together with Ranger Plates is best for me. It gives me the right height for going prone. For any stage that requires 25 rds or less, just stick with a 30rd pmag.

After I started loading the mag by hand, the jams went away until the one I had at Nationals last week. Luckily I cleared it fast but you still lose points clearing a jam instead of shooting. You can see me clear the jam at 1.04 in the video. After that jam, it didn't come out of the range bag again. Its always the same FTF.

I got mine new, unfired, but second hand, for $85. I've shot two matches with it so far, using Federal M855 for one, and Hornady Steel Match 55gr for the other. I ran it almost dry on one stage. No failures of any kind.

I did keep two PMag 30's ready just in case, but didn't have to touch them.

Going prone on a rooftop was a little awkward, but using my offset irons was just as easy as my PMags.