Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

Dowter, i liked that one...the one you used to run us on your stage at LF. Tim will probably be going that route for the one he wants. I've used teh CED 6k's and it's not what i really wanted for practice. Maybe between the pocket pro for him and the club timer II for me we will have what we want/need.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used the R U Ready Speed Timer 3000 (The little yellow one) for 3 days at the Summer Blast. Easy to use, with most everything you would want to see right there, and its loud so the shooter can hear it. I hate the CED 6000, picks up echos, not near as easy to use as other timers. Plus, its a little more bulky than some other timers. Most of the time though, I use a Pocket Pro, compact, but with extra buttons. Overall, I'd go with a Pocket Pro, or a Speed Timer 3000.

OK..sense some have brought up the yellow R U Ready timers...I will share a few experiences I have had with them. (all outdoors)

• they are nice and loud
  • they don't work in the heat

OK...that may be overboard. I do wish they worked better though. Our local club has a number of them...with the RF big display screens. They just don't work well. Sometimes...if you have an ice-cube handy...you can run it across the timer LCD and bring it back to life enough to record a shooter's time.

I have seen the same thing at other ranges as well. :(

Is it  the heat or direct sunlight that trashes the LCD displays of the shrill yellow monsters?

We have tried everything...usually it is a race to get the shooter's time, then get the timer into the shade somehow.

Sun, heat, batteries...I have seen them with pieces of cardboard taped on to work as a sun visor/shade. They are just a pain. No trusting them. Too bad...cause the big display feature is way cool.

sp3000.gif

I don't recall that they give the first shot and split times as easily as the Pact CTII, either.

[edit] to be clear...the display on the hand-held timer portion is what I am talking about crapping out on us...having those big displays has saved a few from reshoots.

Oh yeah they do. Just keep pressing that Control button. The big problem is nobody understands how to start them. :D

Those displays are great. I saw one work at the 97 Golden Gate, with the Super Squad shooting. I haven't seen one work since. :(

I'd really like to have one of those displays on a stage, downrange for the shooters to see, to pressure them as they shoot. B)

yeah...they do show split times. I had forgot (we have basically quite using them).

timer1.jpg

Having the display down range would be awesome. Cool idea. (Maybe I can talk our MD into letting me tear into those suckers...I can't do much damage. It would be cool if they worked.)

My money would still buy the Pact though. B)

Pact II does not have a loud buzzer. Some shooeters cannot hear it, particularly if using ear plugs and muffs.

Some folks like the case contour, some dislike it intensely. My preference is the CED 6000 because of its

overall combination of features. Not the best in each feature, but my preference overall.

My only 'negative' on the Club Timer II does happen to be its not-too-loud buzzer. But I've always been able to hear it and so have my friends. The ergonomic shape is unconventional, but sure snugs up to your belt area with comfort and doesn't hang up on anything... and slides into a pocket with ease, too.

• 8 months later...

I just received a new CED8000 shot timer in the mail today and I am sending it back. The display was very difficult to read (even in the house without the bright light of the sun shining on it). There was very little contrast between the displayed characters and the background of the LCD. Don't know if I just received a bad unit or if that is the way they are. I have a CED chronograph which has a very easy to read display on it so I figured their shot timer would be the same. Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on a shot timer that has an easy to read display with enough contrast that it will not wash out in the daylight.

There's beaucoup beaucoup discussions on this. Try a search on "pact mkiv". You'll be reading for hours.

... oops, oh yeah. I bought a PACT MKIV from Brian. I LOVE IT :wub:

Edited by short_round

There's beaucoup beaucoup discussions on this. Try a search on "pact mkiv". You'll be reading for hours.

... oops, oh yeah. I bought a PACT MKIV from Brian. I LOVE IT :wub:

Me Too! It is a great timer and it is a chronograph for the same money.

My CED 6000 suffers from erratic functionality so I went with the Pact MKIV when I was ready to buy a chronograph and am glad I did. It is a great dry fire timer!

I am agonizing over whether to buy the Mark IV or the Pact II. I do not presently need the chronograph function and probably won't for a couple of years. I was curious if both are good for dry fire practice, as I thought it took an actual shot to activate the timing mechanism. Personally, I prefer the smaller size of the Pact II. Any advice?

Hi,

Two things:

1. Sportshooter.com has a review of some timers online. It's already a bit old, but still very useful information. You can find it here : Sportshooter.com Timer Review

2. Everybody here is very fond of the PACT timers sold by Brian. I just bought a RUReady RF 3000, which is also reviewed by Sportshooter.com in the review mentioned above. Almost all RO's here in NL use that timer, 99% percent of the time indoors. It works great for RO-ing and it has a very loud beep. I have never used the PACT timers, but from what I read here they are great.

I don't know who makes a good timer, but Pact makes two GREAT ones.

The mark IV is perfect and my choice for live fire. VERY loud beep.

The club timer is my choice for dry fire. Softer beep for indoors, and of course a par time function.

It's also nice to have both, as you get used to two kinds of beeps. Club is a buzzer-type, mark IV is a higher pitched beep.

SA

I have a Pact Mk 4 and it is a great timer.

I'm surprised that the CED8000 sucks, though, because it looks like it should be a very functional unit. The only problem with it I see is that hinged design, where you have to open it up in order to see the display.

The 8000 is smaller than a Mk IV, and has a bunch of similar functions. I'd address your concerns about the faint display to the manufacturer, and give him a chance to rectify it before you give up on the thing. The Mk IV is excellent, but the CED 8000 is the latest technology.

All shot timers available today are oversized and limited in their functionality, when you compare them to say, a cell phone with a built in camera. There's no reason a shot timer couldn't fit in that package, except that the tiny market doesn't justify the expense of developing one.

DogmaDog

I agree with all of you about the Pact MKIV. It is one hell of a unit. I have one with the chronograph function. I use mine mainly for the chronograph function, but I use it for allot of the other function as well and with all the other features that the Pact MKIV has it just might be the only timer you will ever need. IMO a MKIV with the Chronograph function will do all the things you will ever want to do but,,,,, it is a little big. So when all I need is a timer that tells me last shot, first shot and splits I use my Pocket Pro from Competition Electronics. The Pocket Pro has big numbers that have never washed out in the bright sun light. IMO it will let you look back on a string of fire with few button pushes. The size of the Pocket Pro is just right when you are practicing alone and doing allot of moving like shooting Outer Limits & Flying M. I practice allot of Steel Challenge. I have a MKIV, and a Club Timer II but my Pocket Pro gets used the most. I have been to the Steel Challenge two years in a row and I have seen more Pocket Pro's on the practice range than any other timer. So look at your needs and don't rule out the Pocket Pro until you look one over. ;)

Competition Electronics

I just got off the phone with CED and they asked me to send the unit back to them so they can check it out and either repair mine or send me a new one. In talking with them it sounded like I may have a defective unit. So I will go that route first since I really like the features of the CED8000. I will let you guys know what happens. Supposedly they have a 24 hour turnaround once they receive the defective timer.

I know I don't like my Competition Electronics ProTimer IV Super. If the split time was constantly displayed I'd have a different opinion, but as far as I can tell it doesn't.

The Sportshooter article did a very good job of comparing the various models. I love my RU-Ready timer. I've had it for about seven years now and can't count the number of times it has been dropped, kicked, fallen, abused, etc. It just keeps on working. It has a very loud beep and is very simple to use. On the minus side, PAR time can only be adjusted in increments of half a second and it picks up echoes indoors. A paster over the mic/pickup hole in the case cures the echo problem but also muffles the beep a bit. All in all, a great timer for the money.