Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

I have a pocket pro and it does show splits.

You have to hold the split button and scroll through the shots.

For personal use it works fine and is priced right.

Dave

Thanks for the info. Set with the Pocket Pro then. I like the PACT IV but got no use for the chrono feature and I like the size of the Pocket Pro. The CED8000 might be good, I just don't like the folding style. Have you guys seen the chest holder for the CED?

http://www.cedhk.com/photo.php?oid=110715&type=image/gif

Looks awkward to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with ForrestB, PACT III has a very loud buzzer

Downside? For those living in closely knit neighborhoods like some areas here in Manila, you gotta cover the speaker so as not to irritate your household and/or nextdoor neighboors :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the Pact MKIV come with the battery installed I just recieved mine and the there was a battery installed and no manual Pact is going to send me the manual.

Guess I was thinking has this one been opened. Oh Sorry but its not from be as I got it localy along with the chrony mounts.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the cheapest timer out there? I want to start practicing using Anderson's book. However, I want to wait for the Pact MkIV XP model to come out. In the meanwhile, looking for something that's cheap and will do the job, i.e. has an adjustable par time.

I used to have a Timex watch that would do a repeatable countdown timer.  I think it was a Triathlon watch.

Something like that might hold you over for dry-fire.

Good idea. I'm looking to see if any of my friends has a digital stopwatch to borrow as it's less trouble than the solution I just found below on Saul Kirsch's web site.

RU Ready Timer

Works pretty good. Luckily I have a laptop to lug into the garage when I practice.

I havent seen anything on the new Pocket pro II. I know I am selling a bunch of them since they came out a couple months ago. I havent used it myself yet. I still use a CED 6000 and like it very much. Havent tried the CED 8000 either but they are selling well also. I never did like the yellow speed timers, guess not many did either since I sold them but they moved very slow. I dropped the line. I used to have a pact timer and wasnt impressed. Too bulky and seemed cheaply made. Mine broke and I ended up throwing it away. But that was back in the 90's althugh I thnk they still use the same case/body they did back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the folding screen of the CED8000 would suck.

After using it for dry firing, at the range alone (clipped on belt), and ROing my wife in practice, I have no complaints at all.

I write everything down as well, and the ability to place it on our range "table" with the large screen adjusted perfectly for me to see is a nice thing.

Question on the New PACT XP?

Does it do par times lower than 0.6 sec?

I am in no way that fast but that is one of the things I see from the manual of the CED 8000 which I feel could be limiting.

Other than that I just got my CED from shooters connection and can't wait to dry fire tonight.

Ira

The CED 'start' beep is 0.5 seconds long. In order to have it not run into the 'stop' beep and be all one beep, there needs to be a gap. Thus the 0.6 limitation.

I believe there are timers with 0.3 second 'start' beeps, so then you could get to 0.4 par's, but I don't think it's a big deal either way.

• 2 months later...

I have a CED 8000 timer and I thought I would pass on a tip that CED gave me. After using the 8000 for a few months I noticed scratches starting to appear on the display. At first I thought it was possibly from brass hitting the display, but actually the navigation keys touch the screen when the timer is closed. CED recommended using the thin, clear screen protectors for a PDA on the screen. I just bought a dozen pack (which should last a lifetime) for the Palm Tungsten screen and they fit the CED 8000 perfectly. I also applied one to the screen of my CED chronograph as a precautionary measure.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I find myself in the market for a new timer and so I do the search of Brians forum.

Always plenty of good information.

So now I have it narrowed down to the CED 8000 or the Pact mkiv.

One question for Pact users which will probably clinch the decision.

Is it possible to set the par times up to beep 1.5 sec after the start then 0.6 sec later then 0.6 sec later then 2.5 sec later and then 0.6 sec later and then 0.6 sec later.

al

Yeah, the MKIV has that-- it's the "benchmark" feature. You tell it the times you want beeps (as opposed to intervals) and it beeps at those times. So you'd set the benchmark for 1.5, 2.1, 2.7, 5.2, 5.8 and 6.3. It's got a bazillion beep modes-- it'll beep on cadence, start a cadence after some delay, 'key' beep some number of seconds after some shot number, etc, etc.