Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

Many good responses here to the timer question.

Some guys seem to prefer the PACK and others the CED one.

I have a unique situation in that I get free 9mm ammo and am not planning on reloading for "Open" class ........yet

I plan on shooting in "Production" class and yes I know I'm shooting "Minor" so the points won't be the same but I can't justify spending that kind of money when I'm just starting out (Weapon and ammo).

Maybe down the road when I can keep up with some of these speed demons here. (lol)

So I don't need a chronograph at this time and if I do I'll go wake up my buddy Kenny who has an old chrony and use his.

So to maximize my practice time and try to improve on my shooting speed and reloading I broke down and ordered the C.E.D. 8000.

I will keep everyone posted on my experience with it and hopefully if it turns out I made a bad choice guys here will learn from it and if it turns out to be good then the same will happen.

WHat the heck its only money right?

AND its another toy for the boys in my house to play with!

JK

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK guys,

I have received the timer and I also broke down and ordered the big board display with it.

I have read the manuals/pamphlets that came with them and if someone like me (technologially challenged) can figure it out then anyone here should be able to also.

I have not been to the range yet to test it out with gunfire but I put in the batteries (9 volts) and clapped my hands loudly near it when I started it and it registered the sound and transmitted it to the big board display.

So far so good.

I hope to make it to the range tomorrow and if I do I'll let you guys know how it does there.

JK

OK finally made it to the range today with my son (25 year old police officer) towards the end of the day because I had to work 0700-1500 today.

First off (WHeres my manners?) Happy Easter/Passover to everyone here!

I will be at my Aunts house in Rockville Center Long Island NY to enjoy my annual family/friends get together there.

Good food, family and friends what more do we need?

TIME ON THE RANGE! THats what we NEED! :)

Anyway ......

I get home from work, we pack up our stuff and head out to the range.

I break out the shot timer.

Hit the buttons to turn it on....good to go.

My son starts shooting and it registers EVERY shot (Outdoor range with overhangs) .

I purposely move about 6-7 feet away from him and turn the timer to face away from him and held it at one point behind me (Substantial shielding here !) and it worked flawlessly.

The review button worked every time and when I held it up my son (wearing sunglasses) could see the display just fine while I could make it out too.

Forgot the "Big Board" at home in the scurry to get there before we lost the daylight and it got too cold so I'll have to update this again but so far the timer works as advertised....great!

SO far it gets a big thumbs up from me and my son.

JK

• 3 months later...

So far I'm pretty happy with my timer purchase.

We shot at the range again in very humid conditions and it performed as advertised.

No problems at all.

I have to say so far I like the CED just fine.

No chrony so I guess some guys would not want it but for my level of skill and purpose it works just fine.

JK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Looking for a timer to do some livefire work and par times for dryfire drills. In Anderson's first book he recommends a PACT or PACT Club timer. I have also read all the stuff about the CED 7000. Has anything changed in the last 6 months or are these still the timers to have. Curious if the experienced guys were buying a timer TODAY which one they would buy and why.

• 1 month later...

This Timer Thread is pretty old, some posts are nearly 7years old. Has anything in changed as far as timers are concerned? New products and or companies available. Does Brian still sell PACT Timers? I checked his store and it doesn't appear so.

How about an update......

Thanks.

Steve

• 4 months later...
This Timer Thread is pretty old, some posts are nearly 7years old. Has anything in changed as far as timers are concerned? New products and or companies available. Does Brian still sell PACT Timers? I checked his store and it doesn't appear so.

Thanks.

Steve

Guess that means no.

:unsure:

I'm in the same boat. Followed 10 pages of 'history' and still undecide. It appears that shot timer owners are as opinionated as reloading press owners. Hopefully we can spark some unbiased feedback so those of us just starting out can make a truely informed decision. Seems like the manufacturers don't even like to provide details as to 'how to properly use' their product - just the standard spec sheets which doesn't really mean much to the average Joe (or Josie).

Myself... 21 years military, now retired. Wife is prosecutor and with budget cutbacks (and removal of deputies from the courthouse) has decided it's time for her to be responsible for her own security. Of course while I was active duty we didn't worry 'too much' about times, but...

I'm personally looking for a shot timer that we can use 'mostly' (for starters at least) for dry fire exercises here in the house when the kids are asleep. Our local (if you can call a 1/2 hour drive away local) range/club doesn't do any practical events, so I've been training my wife 'old school' with our home built stages. We just found out this weekend that another range/club south of us exist and DOES host practical shooting events. I'm not much of the type to compete agains others just for giggles, but events/training for practical shooting is IMHO the 'best' way to stay prepared for 'combat' (in military terms), and we both plan on attending their upcoming event next weekend to get a better feel for the sport.

As I already mentioned, I'd like to find a timer that is reliably for use during dry fire exercises, indoor and outdoor live fire self-training, and for giggles indoor/outdoor comparisons of multiple shooters if possible. Something that is comfortable to wear/use, as an earlier posted mentioned - I don't spend more for batteries than I do on reloading (going to be very hard to do, even if I started to collect gold bricks), simple to operate, backlight would be nice for those low-light conditions, and after all my years around 120mm cannons a lower-frequency, loud (for livefire) - quite (for dryfire), durable (as I'm sure it will get 'abused' while hitting the prone, getting tosed around in a range bag loaded with ammo, dropped off range benches, unclipped from the belt (and the inevitable stepping on something that you really don't want to step on but your foot just won't listen.)

Okay, sorry for dragging on but I wanted to paint a good picture. I'm really sorry to all those that were praying that this post would finally answer their questions.

As my 3-year old daughter would say...please, oh please, oh please can you give me some rock solid advice? Thanks, you're the best!"

daneck

Thanks.

Steve

Guess that means no.

:unsure:

Edited by daneck

As my 3-year old daughter would say...please, oh please, oh please can you give me some rock solid advice? Thanks, you're the best!"

I have had a few timers and have settled with a Pact MK IV. I got it in 06

Its quite bulky and some of the guys at the range rag me about it, They also rag me about my 10 yo, built like a brick, mobile phone.

Anyways the pact is good for clipping on my belt for both live and dry fire exercise. I just have to glance down to see the time.

It is also great and simple to set for par time and cadence drills.

The beep is a little on the loud side for dry fire inside, but hey, for consistency its better to practice with ears & eyes on.

Total charge for this $0.02

al

The PACT timers and the CED timers are both good. PACT been around a little longer, are a little bigger (can be easier to see), and are what most people are used to using at local matches. The CED timers are 2"wide, 4" long, and 3/4" thick. The PACT has a button that some RO's prefer in that you hold it down and it beeps on the release after they say Standby. THe CED is new kid, has soft and loud beeper settings, and has lots of neat par times, features (like a clock so you're not late for dinner), and good customer service. Here's what I use-it's around $110, has been extremely useful and I think is excellent for practicing at home or on the range. It has also been used at our local matches at CAPS.

It is an essential to have a timer to practice. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just going to need to hit a couple larger events and hob-knob with owners of different devices to get an actual feel for them all. Are there any type of 'shot timers for dummies' type book out there? Looking at spec sheets doesn't help a timer-newbie much. I've found the manual for the CE700, but haven't seen the competing model's manuals as of yet.

Again, thanks for the feedback you've given.

Shoot straight and party on dude!

daneck

The PACT timers and the CED timers are both good. PACT been around a little longer, are a little bigger (can be easier to see), and are what most people are used to using at local matches. The CED timers are 2"wide, 4" long, and 3/4" thick. The PACT has a button that some RO's prefer in that you hold it down and it beeps on the release after they say Standby. THe CED is new kid, has soft and loud beeper settings, and has lots of neat par times, features (like a clock so you're not late for dinner), and good customer service. Here's what I use-it's around $110, has been extremely useful and I think is excellent for practicing at home or on the range. It has also been used at our local matches at CAPS.

It is an essential to have a timer to practice. Good luck.

I've owned and/or used all the timers out there.

IMO, the Pact MK IV XP is the best timer for practice. Once you learn how to use it, you can quickly change par times, delayed start, view specific shots and strings, etc. You can also buy skyscreens and use the timer as a chrono.

Yes, it's big due to the keypad. Yes, it eats batteries (as did my CEK 8K). Wish it had a mic sensitivity adjustment for indoor ranges.

IMO, the Pocketpro or the Pact club timer are great match timers. Good size, good clip, very durable.

AFAIK, all the Pact products are made in Tx (if that matters to you).

The buttons on the CED products have been less than reliable. Friends have a 7K and a 8K and buttons on each have stopped working.

Not bashing anyone's product, just relating what I've experienced.

Hope that helps,

• 1 month later...
I've owned and/or used all the timers out there.

IMO, the Pact MK IV XP is the best timer for practice. Once you learn how to use it, you can quickly change par times, delayed start, view specific shots and strings, etc. You can also buy skyscreens and use the timer as a chrono.

Yes, it's big due to the keypad. Yes, it eats batteries (as did my CEK 8K). Wish it had a mic sensitivity adjustment for indoor ranges.

IMO, the Pocketpro or the Pact club timer are great match timers. Good size, good clip, very durable.

AFAIK, all the Pact products are made in Tx (if that matters to you).

The buttons on the CED products have been less than reliable. Friends have a 7K and a 8K and buttons on each have stopped working.

Not bashing anyone's product, just relating what I've experienced.

Hope that helps,

Does anyone have a old timer that they don't really use anymore?

I had a CED 8000 that I bought here on the forum. It went south after a year, and I contacted CED via e-mail (their site) and received no help whatsoever. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero.

Sooooo,

I picked up a pocket pro from openShootergirl, and I am very happy. this timer is easy to use, and just rocks. it is also the timer we use at our club and I have been told that they are really reliable. I am happy again. Simple, good, easy to use.

thanks again Susan.

JZ

CED 7000 is a run away winner.

Agreed, but there is one exception; folks who have a hard time hearing higher frequencies can't always hear the CED 7000 well. I have a CED 7000, CED 8000 and a CE Pocket Pro II. They all have some neat features (like the headset option on the 8000) but none of them seems to be perfect for everyone.

I don't particularly care for having to keep the 8000 open while using it, but the larger display is handy, it has a good, lower frequency tone and two volume settings in addition to the headset option.

For most folks I say get the 7000 and be done with it...small, light, works great and the battery goes forever on a charge....unless the frequency thing is a problem and then the Pocket Pro II is a good alternative, although the display is a bit smaller. R,

Agreed, but there is one exception; folks who have a hard time hearing higher frequencies can't always hear the CED 7000 well. I have a CED 7000, CED 8000 and a CE Pocket Pro II. They all have some neat features (like the headset option on the 8000) but none of them seems to be perfect for everyone.

I don't particularly care for having to keep the 8000 open while using it, but the larger display is handy, it has a good, lower frequency tone and two volume settings in addition to the headset option.

For most folks I say get the 7000 and be done with it...small, light, works great and the battery goes forever on a charge....unless the frequency thing is a problem and then the Pocket Pro II is a good alternative, although the display is a bit smaller. R,

what is a cheap decent timer for dry fire

Hi BE, tried the link but got an error message, so went to PACT and got the Mark IV , thanks for the advice

The requested URL /pages/pact.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.6 Server at www.brianenos.com Port 80

Edited by edmachi

http://pact.com/index.php?page=shop.produc...rt&Itemid=1

hey so this is a timer AND chrono? is this something that i can clip onto my belt or anything like that? how exactly does the chrono part of it work?

this thing looks REALLY attractive because not only do i not have a timer but i also do not have a chrono either at this point.

Edited by Field

http://pact.com/index.php?page=shop.produc...rt&Itemid=1

hey so this is a timer AND chrono? is this something that i can clip onto my belt or anything like that? how exactly does the chrono part of it work?

this thing looks REALLY attractive because not only do i not have a timer but i also do not have a chrono either at this point.

Buy a timer. Buy a chrono.

From my experience, I would NOT buy a PACT Mk IV XP blah blah blah again.

Some people have had okay experience. I have had the time from Hell with mine. And support? Thing was AFU from the box, sent it in to TX, waited months, got it back. Now it's just KFU. On a just-right day, wind just right, sun just right, wires laid just right, planets aligned just right -- chrono kinda works (clocks the rounds all right, just getting it to clock them is harder than Chinese arithmetic). :angry2:

Timer works fine, plus great for practice -- splits, all that great stuff.

But the two together? What a C-F.

I'm one of those people. When I'm at a match where they're using one I usually loosen my inner plugs and ask them to be diligent about holding it close. It doesn't always work though, I've had RO's hold it two feet away thinking that was close enough.. :angry:

waaao i order the thing "SECOND DAY AIR" on monday and then wedneday night i have an email saying "DUHH YOUR ORDER IS NOW on TeH WAYZ"

its like when i ordered some rear sight for my handgun 2 weeks ago and then i get it today even though it should only take about 3 days to get the thing.

stupid mail people

Edited by Field