Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What NEW product does Dillon need to work on?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A better motor for the small size Dillon vibratory case feeder. On my third motor.

The latest generation motors (from about 2 years ago) are what you are requesting. I haven't heard of one failure with the new motors.

a die that goes all the way down to size so we don't have to buy someone else dies to fix brass bulge

The "Glock bulge" is caused by Glock ignoring SAAMI specs - especailly with their 40 cal barrels. Since the 40 is a very high pressure round, SAAMI specs dictate that 40 S&W chambers be fully supported. Which Glock chose to ignore, so that they could more cheaply make their pistols feed more reliably. There is no bulge if a 40 S&W is fired in a fully supported chamber, therefore a resizing die should not be required to resize the very base of the case. The problem is not with the Dillon dies, the problem is with Glock - ignoring SAAMI specs for their barrels. By doing so, a market was created for a sizing die, without a radius at the carbide insert. As anyone how uses the size die without a radius in a Dillon press will attest - they are a PITA. Because if the case isn't perfectly lined up as it goes up into the size die, it snag, crumples the brass, and grinds everything to an abrubt halt. IMO the best solution - replace the factory Glock barrel with an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber.

be

Agreed about the glocks, be ... I don't own a Glock .. However, picking up range brass or buying 1F brass and not knowing where it came from would be one reason people would need such a device.

Or they could choose to buy a case pro or similar device but that option is out of some people's budget.

Edited by spideysteve

I would like to see the primer seater on the 650 turned into a swage. This way when I am running my trim tool head for 223 it would swage the primer pockets and I wouldnt have to manually run them throught the super swage.

Edited by mobile4

The die lock ring is an easy fix. There are knurled split rings from other mfgs. that work great. First, turn the nut down to the toolhead with fingers. Then when you tighten the bolt that clamps the nut, the wedge action of the threads holds the die and goes tight against the toolhead all at the same time. To loosen, you undo the allen head bolt in the ring and unscrew with fingers. No big wrench needed. The split nuts with allen head bolt cost a little more to make, but not much. I would pay an extra $5 to have that kind. That would be way more than the extra production cost,especially if made on a turning center with live tooling.

Edited by Toolguy

A new press. One without so many parts. One without so much tedious labor. Automatic bullet tray, case feeder, foot control. Electric with manual override. A Cadillac or Glock of presses. I don't need to load a huge amount, but I do want a couple of thousand custom loads in 4 or 5 calibers, per month. I love tinkering with machines, but when you have to choose between tinkering and shooting, shooting wins, every time. I am willing to pay to make better use of my time. I want to drive it like my Honda. I get in, I drive. Practice ammo I can buy from Atlanta Arms. I use Atlanta Arms and Ammo for matches, too. But when you want a custom load, you need a press.

1. Though expensive a master conversion kit with every shellplate, case feeder attachment, etc would be very nice. Especially with a manual of uses for each part by caliber.

2. Dillon official app for apple and android

3. I know it sounds funny but do a deal with lauer and sell me some Dillon Smurfy Blue DuraCoat! God I would love a black and blue flash job on my blaster. Btw.... Mine! Nobody steal that o.0

4. Offer a class for retailers to become authorized Dillon installation techs. I know a lot of people who would pay gladly to have their new machine installed by a pro at home like their satellite dish.

5. The NRA offer is great. But a one time 10 dollar coupon for first time USPSA and IDPA members would get Dillon an early start with green shooters on using their product.

6. A contingency program for shooters that own a Dillon, wear a patch and finish well at larger matches. Payable of course in product not cash.

7. Better shirts. More designs.

8. An official bench kit. Carefully designed by machine for the reloader. Comparable with combinations of Dillon products.

9. I know its a pipe dream but if anyone can make a working universal shell plate it's you guys and changing the bottom is more trouble than the top. Make one and charge a lot for it and you'll not feel loses in sales and production becomes easier and uniform.

10. A powder checker and primer alarm that is visual not audible for the deaf and those that find the tone annoying.

Thank you

• 9 months later...

I'd be happy if they just took advice and fix things that are broken. They know what the problems are, but refuse to do anything about them. Also, how about parts made from quality metal? They can afford lifetime warranties because their materical is so poor and cheap for them. Aluminum? Really? How about some steel? Metal shouldn't just break. Oh yeah, and don't make me pay to send back your crappy craftsmanship.

Put the locator pins onto a spring loaded plunger so that you can always easily remove a round from any station at any time during the reloading process without trying to get the pins up. This way you could just push them down, slide out the case, and bingo, you are back in business.

Personally, I'd like a way to make the 550 auto-index, a better spent primer catch system, and a less expensive primer tube filler (like the old Vibra-Prime).

I am currently working on a spent primer catch and thinking about the primer filler as well.

I would like to see the primer seater on the 650 turned into a swage. This way when I am running my trim tool head for 223 it would swage the primer pockets and I wouldnt have to manually run them throught the super swage.

I think this is a viable option - I have a 550b though. I may get a spare primer slide and find a swaging tip - I was thinking about the Hornady or perhaps even the RCBS. Anyone have any suggestions?

A BETTER POWDER THROWER.

My wife works in the automation industry, her company make machines for the food and pharmacutical industries involving precision measuring and filling for production lines. She is also a shooter and reloader (though not as much of the latter as I would like).

After discussing this, we came up with a quasi way that you can make a powder system that will dispense precise amounts of ALL of the powder types out there on an assembly line type basis. The problem is, you wont like the price even on an economy of scale.

Great idea, that should be doable. Wish I would have thought of it. Shouldn't be anymore difficult than changing out large / small primer parts. Going to have to look into this.....

• 3 years later...

Upgrade the priming system on the 550 so the debris does not fall into the slot for moving the next primer to the deprimed case. The 550 is such an awesome press that is very versatile. The next generation primer upgrade would be easy to implement and sell.

Spent primers need to drop effortlessly into a disposal tube routed to a used liter coke bottle. The resealed bottles would be easy to transport to your local recyclcling center.

A built in primer swage option would be good too.

• 2 months later...

wow, I just bought a XL650 in 2015, about 4 yrs to the date of your post. I wish I would have found this forum before my purchase. I have been so frustrated that I have given up on reloading. I often tell people to stay away from Dillon and go with a single stage. If anyone is interested in buying a Dillon XL650 I will sell you this one cheap. I need the space for anything that won't make my hair fall out.

TROLL?

wow, I just bought a XL650 in 2015, about 4 yrs to the date of your post. I wish I would have found this forum before my purchase. I have been so frustrated that I have given up on reloading. I often tell people to stay away from Dillon and go with a single stage. If anyone is interested in buying a Dillon XL650 I will sell you this one cheap. I need the space for anything that won't make my hair fall out.

TROLL?
More like a sneaky For Sale advertisement.