Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What NEW product does Dillon need to work on?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow, I just bought a XL650 in 2015, about 4 yrs to the date of your post. I wish I would have found this forum before my purchase. I have been so frustrated that I have given up on reloading. I often tell people to stay away from Dillon and go with a single stage. If anyone is interested in buying a Dillon XL650 I will sell you this one cheap. I need the space for anything that won't make my hair fall out.

TROLL?

Dunno. I PM'd him, though. :D

It is possible to calculate EXACTLY how much a die has to be adjusted. Like, say, I need to lower my seating die .003 inch.

So, 14 turns per inch equal .07143 inch per turn.

So, .003 inch divided by .07143 inch per turn equals .041999 of one turn.

Since 1 turn = 360 degrees, .041999 x 360 = 15 degrees.

So, theoretically, one tiny turn and I'm done. The problem is you can't eyeball 15 degrees, and the die moves when you snug it anyway. And what you wind up doing is lots and lots and LOTS of turning back and forth until you essentially hit it by random chance.

So what Dillon needs is a thingie that allows for precise turning of a die. Probably be expensive, lots of tiny gears and stuff.

Edit: Actually, on reflection, a MUCH cheaper option would be something you put on the die that simply measures how far you've turned, the circular equivalent of calipers.

Me: "Is this 15 degrees?"
Gadget: "Nope, 30 degrees"
Me:"15 degrees?"
Gadget: "5 degrees."

It would make reloading SO much simpler.

Edited by ChemistShooter

It is possible to calculate EXACTLY how much a die has to be adjusted. Like, say, I need to lower my seating die .003 inch.

So, 14 turns per inch equal .07143 inch per turn.

So, .003 inch divided by .07143 inch per turn equals .041999 of one turn.

Since 1 turn = 360 degrees, .041999 x 360 = 15 degrees.

So, theoretically, one tiny turn and I'm done. The problem is you can't eyeball 15 degrees, and the die moves when you snug it anyway. And what you wind up doing is lots and lots and LOTS of turning back and forth until you essentially hit it by random chance.

So what Dillon needs is a thingie that allows for precise turning of a die. Probably be expensive, lots of tiny gears and stuff.

Edit: Actually, on reflection, a MUCH cheaper option would be something you put on the die that simply measures how far you've turned, the circular equivalent of calipers.

Me: "Is this 15 degrees?"

Gadget: "Nope, 30 degrees"

Me:"15 degrees?"

Gadget: "5 degrees."

It would make reloading SO much simpler.

Why I never use Dillon dies. Pita to adjust. Edited by echotango

DA-YUM, this would certainly work. On my wish list, and I might snap and order it anyway. OAL is a safety thing.

My rotational-calipers thing is still a good idea. You could make it a lot cheaper than a micrometer die.

DA-YUM, this would certainly work. On my wish list, and I might snap and order it anyway. OAL is a safety thing.

My rotational-calipers thing is still a good idea. You could make it a lot cheaper than a micrometer die.

It's $82.95...

Maybe cheaper other places... Expensive, but useful for a long time...

A better way to adjust powder die...at the very least, a knob. I bought some after market ones but they should come installed.

Also, a press that can be indexed either manually like the 550 or auto like the 650...

It's $82.95...

Maybe cheaper other places... Expensive, but useful for a long time...

A better way to adjust powder measure bar...at the very least, a knob. I bought some after market ones but they should come installed.

Also, a press that can be indexed either manually like the 550 or auto like the 650...

Two things:

• For the 1050 - a metal version of the 11006 Adaptor Housing. This is the black plastic part that is below the casefeed tube and adaptor. Issue is if machine is cycled with a rifle case in station one, case will smash against plastic adaptor and it will crack. Replacements are about $25. I would rather spend $80 on an aluminum or cast metal part.
  • Replacement brushes for RT1500 trimmer. I don't know what the expected life of the motor is but I am putting 100's of hours on these things and would feel better having a rebuild kit in stock.

That's it! Let me know when sku's are available. :)