Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What NEW product does Dillon need to work on?

We've thoroughly praised the Blue, and, I'm certainly one of those. I'm very pleased with my two presses and enjoy them and the ammo they produce.

Still, we haven't seen a lot "new" and we should "help" with our list for Mike and the engineers!

My list:

- New priming systems

- Bullet feeder

- New round counter

What say you?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1)liquid tumbler

2)a better way to empty the powder measure

3)I'd like to see the mods we do on these machines come that way from the factory

4)an upgrade for the old machines (see picture below)

5)a spring or lock washer for the die lock rings

6)a more affordable automatic primer filler like some of the homemade systems on this forum that cost 10-15 bucks to make. The one I saw here is very similar to the Vibra Prime.

An on-site support option where you can request the Dillon calendar person of your choice as the technician. :devil:

If that is not possible, how about a better way to change the 650 primer punch? Perhaps make the OD of A smaller so a socket could be used on B?

post-400-0-65602200-1319300178_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

New commercial style machine meant to be fully automatic. Not the tag on motor to the 1050.

If I understand the issue, if Dillon was to go this route, they would have two options.

1) Set up a seperate company (a la Dillon Aero)

2) Abandon all foreign sales.

Dillon sells machines that the Dept of State consider hobby equipment. If they shipped them with integrated bullet feeders and automatic drive systems, that classification would change. If that happened, every product they shipped out of country would require DofS approval.

I would love to see a cheaper primer tube filler.

Agree on the priming systems. My 550's priming set up is certainly it's main character flaw.

And of course, better die locking rings. At least make them a little harder so they don't shear off as soon as you touch them.

Maybe spend an extra dollar and offer a better lock ring wrench. The ends spread apart after a few uses.

There is one thing on my 550 that I feel is less than optimally designed - the powder dispenser rod. More particularly, the way it connects to the dispenser and the ram. My first progressive press was a Lee Pro 1000 and it used a chain for the same purpose. It wasn't so much the chain as it was that it was easy to disconnect. I have considered unbending the S-Curve at the top of the rod and threading it and putting a knurled knob on it. That would make it extremely easy to disconnect. I'm sure Dillon could come up with a better idea.

The second thing is the case feeder option for the 550. It's really high tech but about 10 times more complicated than is needed. The other good idea Lee had with the Pro is the case feeder. It could have been designed a bit better but the basic concept was utter simplicity and most of the time it worked just fine. I'd love to talk with the engineers at Dillon about something like that.

1)liquid tumbler

6)a more affordable automatic primer filler like some of the homemade systems on this forum that cost 10-15 bucks to make. The one I saw here is very similar to the Vibra Prime.

Just #1 and #6... #s 2-5 are non-issues to me.

Given how much the little Thumbler's tumbler and stainless steel media are over-priced, and given that a VibraPrime just went for $50+ on eBay, it seems like there's a market for these items.

An on-site support option where you can request the Dillon calendar person of your choice as the technician.

And this, too!

Edited by Bimmer

And of course, better die locking rings. At least make them a little harder so they don't shear off as soon as you touch them.

Maybe spend an extra dollar and offer a better lock ring wrench. The ends spread apart after a few uses.

This, I'm about to go through and replace mine. The nuts and wrench are poorly made POS.

I really can't bitch overall about my 550B. But my biggest aggravation is:

Better operating rod or something else more reliable & easily adjustable & spring return system for the primer slide. A better constructed primer chute and replacement of the spent primer catcher pin with something more reliable & does not trap spent primers.

Like many, I don't really have much to complain about with my 550.

1) Better spent primer mechanism.

2) Easier way to change the shell plate with a better return to zero. Currently I have to play with it to get it right, not too tight not too loose.

Like many, I don't really have much to complain about with my 550.

1) Better spent primer mechanism.

2) Easier way to change the shell plate with a better return to zero. Currently I have to play with it to get it right, not too tight not too loose.

The shell plate improvement is a good idea too.

a better system to catch the spent primers, i have had a sd, 550 and now i have a 650, but on all of these machines the primers are all over the.

do something about the snappy shellplate

the possibility to buy upgrade kits for the old presses.

a primer system that can hold 500 primers instead of 100.

cheap primer tube filler

a light that fits in the middle hole of the toolhead.

the possibilty to swage primer pockets on a 650.

bulletfeeder

a primer system that can hold 500 primers instead of 100.

That one sounds bit on the dangerous side. Of course, in the unlikely event that a full primer tube detonates, with 100 primers max, at least the machine can be rebuilt. If 500 primers went off, you might not be able to rebuild yourself.