Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many good gunsmiths are there?

rtr

I was talking to my local gunsmith who is a great guy for IPSC guns (and guns in general), we were talking about how many guys there are in the US who do real quality work.

So how many really good gunsmiths are there in the country that can build a good IPSC pistol?

There are more than you might think. Ask everyone that you shoot with to get an idea, then pick up several of the gun magazines that run articles on USPSA and IDPA to get an overview of some of the others. easier to try to find someone who is rather local to you as a shooter, as you can keep tabs on the work he does for others.

There are several on this forum who do quality work...

I can recommend only a few (not in any particular order):

Rusty Kidd @ David's Gun Room (Norcross, GA)

Bob Londrigan @ Brazos Custom (TX)

Johnny Lim @ Limcat Custom (Reno, NV)

Benny Hill @ Triangle Shooting Sports (TX)

George Smith @ EGW (PA)

Ross Carter @ Carter Custom Guns (AR)

Don Golembieski @ Kodiak Precision (Mesa, AZ)

It's an incomplete list, but hope it helps.

Rich

The ONLY 2 I'd recommend for an IPSC pistol, In no particular order. There are probably 20 or 30 in the country who do good pistol work, but for the $$$ These guys are the best.

1. Benny Hill (Triangle Shooting Sports)

2. Ross Carter (Carter Custom)

A VERY distant third would be Dave Dawson. His quality of work is really good, but the salesman are less than trustworthy (in MY experiences)

The question was "good" gunsmiths. I'd say several dozen, many of which are regional and not well known outside of their geographic area.

I'd say USCbigdog has a list of GREAT gunsmiths that build IPSC guns.

As for 2K and under for an open gun, only a used one. If a new factory STI runs you $2300, no one would be selling a custom built one for less.

This might be a little off the thread but it's a related topic: Why is it that every time I bring my shooter to one 'smith or another (local guys - no one mentioned here) I end up spending a hour or two or three fine tuning their work. Don't get me wrong, they generally do good work but it seems like one makes the gun run 100% but never hits the details (until I bring it back and point it out). And the other is creative but always does something I didn't ask for (sometimes thats good, sometimes it's not). I know some of you are thinking 'hey, go somewhere else', but it's not that easy or simple. 'Smiths that do game guns and such are fairly specialized. That bridge you burned ain't going to be open on the Saturday afternoon before a match when your blaster turns up sick. I suspect most of you understand what I'm saying. With 10 or so years of competitive pistol shooting of one sort or another I have a good idea of what works, what doesn't, and what breaks occassionally. With a good supply of spare parts the bright side is that I've become a decent home 'smith with anything that can be repaired or tuned with files (pretty amazing what you can do with these considering how basic they are), emery, stones, and jigs. Not because of a calling, but out of necessity. Before I get flamed by the 'smiths out there: money is not the issue. I never bargain for 'smithing services and it's always COD. It would be nice just to get it done right. Thanks for letting me vent - I'm going to bed now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that there are some small operation gunsmith's out there that can produce fantastic work as well. There is a guy in Ohio and forgive me but I only remember his last name as being "Schallat" who had built my first 2011 open gun.

Dave Dawson built me an awesome stock 2011 but I no longer reccomend him due to the incompetant staff he has employed.

Tony Kidd did awesome work but he has now gone back to work for the Army Marksmanship Unit and I feel fortunate that I have one of the last Open guns he built as it runs like the energizer bunny!

When it came time to have my latest toy built, a shorty 2011 9mm Major, I was at a quandry. I had seen Dawson's shorty gun and was not impressed as it was heavier than my Kidd full size open 40! Bedell was new to me and for some reason the guns that I still have were all built in Texas! So it was a no brainer to call Benny and after a few phone conversations I felt at ease! Benny has kept me posted on the progress of my new baby which is what I would expect from a good smith and if all goes well it will be in my hands tomorrow! Benny impressed me with his knowledge of knowing down to how many ounces the slide should wiegh that he has a formula that works!

I am very excited and am getting some ammo together to take it out and see what she will do!

I was talking to my local gunsmith who is a great guy for IPSC guns (and guns in general), we were talking about how many guys there are in the US who do real quality work.

So how many really good gunsmiths are there in the country that can build a good IPSC pistol?

So Chris..what did you decide to build??

Is John doing the work??? He builds a really good gun...he can make them run too. :D

good list of IPSC smiths here..

good luck on your build..can' wait to see it..

The ONLY 2 I'd recommend for an IPSC pistol, In no particular order. There are probably 20 or 30 in the country who do good pistol work, but for the $$$ These guys are the best.

1. Benny Hill (Triangle Shooting Sports)

2. Ross Carter (Carter Custom)

A VERY distant third would be Dave Dawson. His quality of work is really good, but the salesman are less than trustworthy (in MY experiences)

I have been shooting Dave's guns for 5 years and YES, I pay for them. I can shoot any gun I want, but I buy Dave's guns. About his sales staff, if there is a problem he will take care of it. And his sales staff doesn't build his guns, Dave does. I'm sure there are alot of gunsmithes out there that build good IPSC guns but I can recommend Dave from experience.

I realize that this is a thread drift, but I have always had a great experiece with Dawson as well. I havn't bought a gun but I own every Para part and most of his S*I parts. I just bought an Ice magwell and when it showed up it had a white insert. I called and told them I was looking for black with a black insert. They said that they would send out a whole new one. I told them that I just needed a new insert. The sales staff was concerned that I may scratch my new magwell changing them out. I also told them that I had shot it in a match. No problem, just send the old one back. Rufus, sorry you got a bum deal, but I think it's a rare case. :D