Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New xdm

gunshrink

I can't wait to actually get my hands on the new 525. I think it's a great looking piece. I think it's great the SA is coming out with a "competition ready" package. Will I end up purchasing one is another question. It has nothing to do with it not having a custom shop type trigger out of the box or how low or high it sits in my hand or any other of negative perceptions about the XD(M). It's about me finally settling on a single platform and sticking with it to try and shoot it better. I've shot an M&P Pro with a Burwell trigger job and OMG! If I chose that platform, that's the option I would take. I've also tried an M&P with an APEX drop in kit and guess what..OMG too! Another option if I shot that platform. This example (custom gunsmith trigger job or drop in kit) extends to other manufacturers. We should be thankful that we, as shooters, have choices and many good manufacturers and gunsmiths to choose from.

I think it's unrealistic to expect a manufacturer to come out with the perfect affordable by all, out of the box, competition ready, personalized to my particular tastes gun. As for price...I am a cheap b@stard, but let's try to compare apples to apples the best we can. For example, if Glock offered a G34 with similar sights and a slightly than better "stock" G34 trigger, I would imagine that would drive up the price way beyond what they are currently going for. Again, this example can be extended to other manufacturers. The more "custom" features that come with the gun, the higher it's costs will be out of the box (manufacturers need to make money too, esp ones like SA who are a major supporter of our sport).

Instead of being negative on a gun that only a very few have had a chance to actually shoot while the rest of us have only seen pictures of, like myself, we should be grateful that a company like SA has stepped up and offered a product directly geared towards competition shooters, with a lot of input from one of the best shooters ever - thanks TGO!). I think this is a great step for everyone because now that the bar has been raised, maybe the other manufactures will follow suite, but then again maybe not. This innovation also benefits our other supporters such as various aftermarket manufacturers as well as the many great smith's out there who are always striving to improve a product and make it even better!

I can't wait to shoot the XDM 525, and who knows, I might like it enough to switch platforms. It's a great looking gun and has a lot of features that I desire on my current gun (except for the fiber front, sorry Rob...maybe in a couple of years). Again, I'm thankful for manufacturers like SA, S&W, Glock, etc..who support our sport and have listened to the needs of shooters as well as the gunsmiths and parts manufacturers who provide us with options that allow us to personalize our guns just they way we want to or can afford to. Thanks to you all!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys,

II'm getting in on this thing late but, I have 5 of the new 5.25's and am hosting a demo tomorrow July 2 at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club for any one who wants to handle and shoot one of these babies. I'll be out there from 08:00 a.m. until 11:00 on training bay 1.

BTW I'm sure no retailer has one of these yet. The five that I have were the only ones out of writer's or factory hands as of Thursday.

I can tell you it is pretty cool. The longer sight radius is going to be loved by anyone who wants a little more precision. The way the adjustable sight is installed is also clean and low. Sorry Rich, Scott and Daniel, I think it is going to be hard to improve the sight picture with a Bo-Mar type and stay as low. I'm hoping you guys will make awesome pieces for this gun though. I think it's going to be the cat's meow for production. No talk of further calibers yet but I would guess the .40 won't be too hard. I wish I'd had this thing at Bianchi this year. Gonna be a bummer for all of us though when Kyle Schmidt gets his. Hope to see some of you lucky Arizonan's out at Rio tomorrow. It's only going to be like 150 degrees!

Rob

Johnny Bench called, he wants his hands back :D

nascar17112_10669_4998.jpg

I've shot an M&P Pro with a Burwell trigger job and OMG! If I chose that platform, that's the option I would take. I've also tried an M&P with an APEX drop in kit and guess what..OMG too!

Handling a really good custom trigger on an XD/XDM will probably take you right on up to OMFG. :lol:

From the xd forum: CAbelas has it for $1399.

Thats a bit much. I know Cabelas is always a little high but thats gonna make it a little less appealing, for me at least...

I agree ^^ I don't think 3/4" of barrel and a FO front sight is worth an extra 600 bucks, I might be more interested if they sold the slide and barrel separate, so that I could put it atop my XDm...

It's not that price, I made a mistake when I made that post.

So Rob I have a serious question. I have a XD Tactical 5in. it has a bar-sto barrel, a very crisp 3.5 lb trigger (it was lighter but I used at the B-cup and needed to lift the 3.5 NRA weight.) with very short reset. Thanks to the smiths on this forum. Extremely accurate. Dawson FO front and adjustable R. How would I benefit from the new 5.25? I am sure it is not .25 of sight radios. So what is it? Do not get me wrong it looks very nice and if I had extra money I would be all over it. But for me I would need to sell something to get it. Thanks for all the help. And I only wish I lived in Arizona just for this weekend LOL.

I need the wisdom that way I can use it to explain to my wife why I need both. LOL

Edited by 1911vm

Wow, that's a lot of posts rebutting a guy with 12 posts who joined a week ago and is clearly trolling.

I too would like Springfield to make a gun that shoots into 3/4" at 50 yards, has a 1 1/2 pound trigger, will never jam, will let me do .10 splits on a swinger at 25 yards and get 2 A's, comes with lifetime one one one training sessions with Robbie, reloads all my ammo for me and only costs $200.00. Guess I'll live with disappointment.

Springfield Armory has come out with a gun that is financially viable to them and what many many shooters want. I'm sure SA could come out with the ideal custom XDM, but you'd have to pay for it. I would much rather have a solid base gun that I can tune the way I want. I don't really want a two pound trigger on my gun. My Glock 34 is set up just like Dave's and is somewhere around 4ish pounds. What's the actual weight? Don't know, don't care. It works flawlessly and does what I need it to do. Glock gave us a gun with the slide and barrel that we could modify if needed for whatever sport we wanted to do. SA has now done the same with the XDM. Add a barrel if you want, do a trigger job yourself if you want, send it to Scott if you want. Expecting any gun company to come out with a race ready gun under a $1000.00 that will appeal to every shooter is truly naive. Even a factory STI Edge at $1600.00 + is going to require work before it's fully up to potential. I would expect that the XDM in the $700-850 price range is going to sell very well for SA. Might even be a bit cheaper than that once SA starts donating them to matches, which I'm sure they will. I'll get one, I'll give it a fair shake. Am I getting rid of my Glock for it? Probably not because of GSSF, but I'm always looking for any advantage.

Wow, that's a lot of posts rebutting a guy with 12 posts who joined a week ago and is clearly trolling.

I too would like Springfield to make a gun that shoots into 3/4" at 50 yards, has a 1 1/2 pound trigger, will never jam, will let me do .10 splits on a swinger at 25 yards and get 2 A's, comes with lifetime one one one training sessions with Robbie, reloads all my ammo for me and only costs $200.00. Guess I'll live with disappointment.

Springfield Armory has come out with a gun that is financially viable to them and what many many shooters want. I'm sure SA could come out with the ideal custom XDM, but you'd have to pay for it. I would much rather have a solid base gun that I can tune the way I want. I don't really want a two pound trigger on my gun. My Glock 34 is set up just like Dave's and is somewhere around 4ish pounds. What's the actual weight? Don't know, don't care. It works flawlessly and does what I need it to do. Glock gave us a gun with the slide and barrel that we could modify if needed for whatever sport we wanted to do. SA has now done the same with the XDM. Add a barrel if you want, do a trigger job yourself if you want, send it to Scott if you want. Expecting any gun company to come out with a race ready gun under a $1000.00 that will appeal to every shooter is truly naive. Even a factory STI Edge at $1600.00 + is going to require work before it's fully up to potential. I would expect that the XDM in the $700-850 price range is going to sell very well for SA. Might even be a bit cheaper than that once SA starts donating them to matches, which I'm sure they will. I'll get one, I'll give it a fair shake. Am I getting rid of my Glock for it? Probably not because of GSSF, but I'm always looking for any advantage.

Wasn't going to call them that...giving them the benefit of the doubt...clearly they should read the rules a littler closer.....but when you go into another manufacturers forum to badmouth their equipment, you might be trolling

Edited by waynes_world_45

Hello guys,

I am hoping to be one of the first few owners of this gun. I won it from a website and cant wait to get my hands on it. I am by no means an expert, but, I am a certifiable gun nut. I was a little disappointed that the trigger was going to be stock, but, when I think back to when I bought my Rock Island Tactical 1911 I though wow this trigger has got to be around 4lbs. When I put my buddies trigger pull meter on it, it was a little over 6. Everybody that has tried that trigger always remarks how nice it is and cant believe it is 6lbs. Point is, you never know how its going to feel until you get it in your hands. I compete in 3 gun matches now with my Witness Elite Match which has a Henning 3lb straight trigger and is very accurate and I still suck. Most will blame the gun when its the shooter that is the problem. I cant wait to get a hold of this thing. Rob, when are you going to be in Virginia next? Maybe you could show me how this gun works? :bow:

Edited by mongovb

Chuck makes great points all around. I'm just trying to figure out how not to send back the four 5.25's I have that were used in the demo's. My friends are all hot to get the things too and I can't even tell them where and when and how much! Maybe I can pry more info out of Springfield this week. If so I'll pass that along on the this forum.

Rob

BTW, where did that picture of me holding my new S&W model 34, .22 pistol on my 12th bday come from? I don't remember that being there before? I suspect some collusion between Big Daddy Enos and my Mom. Don't make me break out the old stuff Of Brian!!

Rob

I think it looks great, I want one, don’t care about the trigger.

Have a few questions though, I am cheap and currently have 2 XDm’s.

Will just top end be offered.

Is it interchangeable with standard 9/40 XDm frames and 9mm mags.

If so will it be legal for production division.

BTW, where did that picture of me holding my new S&W model 34, .22 pistol on my 12th bday come from? I don't remember that being there before? I suspect some collusion between Big Daddy Enos and my Mom. Don't make me break out the old stuff Of Brian!!

Rob

Get with the program Rob, it came from your site

http://www.robleatham.com/libraryrldc/familyquarters/robbdgunweb.gif

Starting to feel the 50? Later Greg B

Edited by Powder Finger

Damn, those are some impressive pants.

Rob just tell Springfield you forgot where you left them. You're getting awful close to the age they would believe you. Feel free to ship one of those up here to Oregon. I'll give it a thorough whooping for you.

I am a stylish dude Chuck. Don't be jealous!! I'll put you on the list of my buddies who want my 5.25's. I Really like the gun, just dropped it off to Marty at Accuracy Speaks gunsmithing for the frame texturing that he has done on all my XD/XDm's. Now talking to Rich for a tungsten Guide rod.

Rob

Rob

I always knew you were a wheelgunner at heart! ;)

Looky what the UPS man brought today.

More photos here

Got mine too :D Already put a hundred rounds through it.

Well what do you think! How does it feel? Can't just leave us hanging like that.

Well it feels light and well balanced. I dont care for the trigger much. It felt like 7lbs but seemed to break crisp. I am used to the henning flat trigger in my Witness Match which is about 3lbs. Im guessing the total movement of my henning trigger is about the same as the reset in the XDm. The gun definitely shoots better than me. My buddy who is the RO at the range I go to definitely shot better than me.

We got one here at the range today as well for a range demo gun. All I can say is WoW for a plastic gun its pretty dang nice! Good sights, decent trigger, though a little heavy but nothing Scott or the guys can't fix. Other than a little trigger tweaking and some grip work this is a go to work in production gun NOW! Nice job Robby/Springfield!! :cheers:

Went and ran it through our reactive steel here, man that is fun!!

Edited by steel1212