Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New xdm

gunshrink

You guys are funny. You make me laugh, I'll kill you last!

I also have been putting many rounds through my 5.25's. I am just as happy with them now as when I first received them.

Interestingly I have done the triggers on all three differently and each has it's own feel. All have the Powder River Precision triggers on them that Springfield Custom offers as an option. This trigger just works so well I have them in nearly all of my XD/XDm's now. They all have shorter take up, over travel and reset. All three trigger jobs were done differently but are setup so the trigger stays more forward in the trigger guard at it's release point than stock. Some trigger jobs position the trigger toward the back of the trigger guard where the stock trigger releases. This is just personal preference, no advantage either way except when you weigh the trigger release weight, you may get a lighter reading as the trigger pull gauge moves further down the trigger. It doesn't mean the trigger is lighter that way, just measures differently.

Gun #3 the newest, was done with a long smooth release, kinda like a short revolver trigger, and it is the lightest at about 2.5 lbs measured with the scale on the center of the trigger itself. I haven't shot this one enough to like it yet. It has but a few hundred rounds through it and my timing is not as sharp with it as gun #1.

Gun #2. The Bi-Tone. This one has the heaviest of the triggers at about 3.5 lbs. This has the cleanest of the triggers, with a very short release. This is the one I think I like the best but am still experimenting with it. I need to have the trigger at 3.5 lbs for Bianchi. This will be set to that weight as I feel that trigger pull type will give me the best results for slower accurate shooting. That theory has yet to be tested on these 5.25's.

Gun #1. Old faithful. It has nearly 7,000 rounds on it now (starting to loose track of which one I'm shooting) and has a trigger pull exactly between #2 and #3. Release weight right at 3 lb with a rolling break not as clean as number #2 but shorter than #3. This is the happy medium and I shoot it very well.

I used #1 to win the IDPA ESP class at the Steel Challenge with I believe the best score I have ever shot with an iron sighted pistol! better than my Limited gun from last year. This also with a Safariland 5198 concealment holster. ISP allows my Safariland 013 competition holster that is much faster and legal in ISP class. I'm actually pretty proud of myself about that! I was 3rd fastest ISP against all the limited guys.

#1 and #3 have unmodified stock barrels, #2 has a custom shop match barrel that fits much tighter. The good news it it shoots very well. The other good news is so do the 2 with no barrel work! The custom barrel IS better, but I'm not sure the average guy is going to see the advantage unless he needs extreme accuracy and is a precise shooter. The 5.25's out of the box just shoot very well! When this becomes talk about Bianchi I'll revisit this barrel thing again.

Rob

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used #1 to win the IDPA ESP class at the Steel Challenge with I believe the best score I have ever shot with an iron sighted pistol! better than my Limited gun from last year. This also with a Safariland 5198 concealment holster. ISP allows my Safariland 013 competition holster that is much faster and legal in ISP class. I'm actually pretty proud of myself about that! I was 3rd fastest ISP against all the limited guys.

I see that you are using the 5198 holster. I looked at Safarilands website and they don't show one for the 5.25. The only XDM model is for a 4.5" BBL. Are you using the 5" XD version? Thanks.

Decision time :blink:

I live 30 minutes from Dawson Precision. Can't decide to get one from Dave with the 3.25# Springfield Custom Shop trigger job or get one from Springer or Canyon Creek with their trigger jobs. No sales tax that way but I have shipping and transfer fees. Cost is going to be about the same.

I guess the question is: Are the custom shop trigger jobs really alot sweeter than the Springfield Custom shop ???

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Decision time :blink:

I live 30 minutes from Dawson Precision. Can't decide to get one from Dave with the 3.25# Springfield Custom Shop trigger job or get one from Springer or Canyon Creek with their trigger jobs. No sales tax that way but I have shipping and transfer fees. Cost is going to be about the same.

I guess the question is: Are the custom shop trigger jobs really alot sweeter than the Springfield Custom shop ???

That is a hard question to answer . I think that the constancy is better out of custom shops. SA shop depends who does the work. For example the same gun I sent the first time for trigger and barrel re-fitting came back excellent . The same gun 1 1/2 years later goes in for barsto and trigger. Barrel good ,trigger not that good at all .

Having never shot in production isnt the capacity limited in that division to 10 rounds in mags?

Yes, 10 in the mags and 11 to start with (provided nothing against that in the WSB)

Seems like a waste of a a high cap mag. But to

Each his own.

Having never shot in production isnt the capacity limited in that division to 10 rounds in mags?

Yes, 10 in the mags and 11 to start with (provided nothing against that in the WSB)

Each his own.

Standard capacity is 19 rounds, 10 rounds are low capacity, more than 19 is high capacity, don't let the media win!!!

Each his own.

Standard capacity is 19 rounds, 10 rounds are low capacity, more than 19 is high capacity, don't let the media win!!!

That is a given but what I mean in the overall sense is downloading to 10 is IDPAish to me and pointless. My primary use would be for multigun.

Each his own.

That is so people from Kalifornia can have fun too - or perhaps party of the Kalifornia empathy program so the rest of us can experience at a match what they have every day. I like shooting production because of the strategy you have to develop with just the 10 rounds, different size arrays and the like. Tried limited but missed that part of the event.

Each his own.

That is so people from Kalifornia can have fun too - or perhaps party of the Kalifornia empathy program so the rest of us can experience at a match what they have every day. I like shooting production because of the strategy you have to develop with just the 10 rounds, different size arrays and the like. Tried limited but missed that part of the event.

Oops, forgot about the folks behind enemy lines. My primary use for this is will be multigun anyway. Pretty much made up my mind to get one in the next few months with an eye for next year. Now I have to decide weather to load 9mm or buy reloads from Georgia arms.

Don't just blame us. Hawaii, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey also proudly possess some ####ed up mag limits.

Various towns around my Chicago area have mag capacities as well. Here is a restriction list you may find handy...

Restrictions (Revised 11/12/2010)

Handguns and Magazines:

Cailifornia: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine (handguns must be on state approved list)

Hawaii: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine

Cook County, Illinois: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine

Oak Park Illinois: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine

Massachusetts: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine(handguns must be on state approved list)

New York: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine

Washington D.C.: Cannot ship more than 10 round magazine

Chicago, Illinois: Cannot ship more than 12 round magazine

Aurora, Illinois: Cannot ship more than 15 round magazine

Cicero, Illinois: Cannot ship more than 15 round magazine

New Jersey: Cannot ship more than 15 round magazine

Franklin Park, Illinois: Cannot ship more than 16 round magazine

Maryland: Cannot ship more than 20 round magazine (handguns must be on state approved list)

Denver City, Colorado: Cannot ship more than 21 round magazine

Vail, Colorado: Cannot ship more than 21 round magazine

What's funny is that Chicago is in Cook County and while Cook County allows only 10 round mags, Chicago allows 12.... Hmmmm BTW the gun store I bought my XDM is located in Cook County and they sell mags of various load counts so it's a law not often enforced I suppose. Notice something. The list is 15 minicipalities, and 6 are in Illinois.

Edited by Hamma Slamma

OK,, dont beat me up for having my head in the sand. BUT will this be coming out in 45? And even more out of the loop, are my XD Tactical mags with Canyon Creek basepads likely to fit said animal? Sorry but I have been happy with my CC gun and untill now havnt even held a XDm.

SA will probably release a 525 in a .40 first and then the .45 if they see the need. XD mags don't work with the XDm's, the M's are based on the .40 cartridge to be a true double stack. The XD's are based off of the 9mm cartridge for a true double stack.

Rich

This may have been answered already, but any idea when the 5.25 will be available in .40S&W? Looking to get into the Limited game the the free mag promo put the XD(m)s back on my radar, well closer to the center. Real close to a Para P16-40...

This may have been answered already, but any idea when the 5.25 will be available in .40S&W? Looking to get into the Limited game the the free mag promo put the XD(m)s back on my radar, well closer to the center. Real close to a Para P16-40...

There's been no announcements on a 5.25 XDM in .40. Seems likely (to me) that they'll be one, but I don't think it'll be released in the next 3 months. There's no easy way to know what the release schedule will be.

There's been no announcements on a 5.25 XDM in .40. Seems likely (to me) that they'll be one, but I don't think it'll be released in the next 3 months. There's no easy way to know what the release schedule will be.

I thought about for my uses and decided the 9 is actually better for me for multigun. Ordered thru SpringerPrecision the other day PLUS Im in the window for the free extra mags. Sometimes the ball does bounce my way. Rare.

• 2 weeks later...

XDM 5.25 40S&W are available, but scarce.

Source for this information?

+1

Im ready to pull the trigger on one in .40.

My mistake.

Scratch that regarding 5.25 .40's, read inventory sheet incorrectly (hell, there are only 47 variations of XDM pistols).