Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New xdm

gunshrink

I'm not paying $1400 dollars for the Springfield when I can get a M&P Pro for $600. If you listened to Rob Leatham on gun talk radio he stated it would list for under a grand. I have a 9mm XDM that shoots great when it wants to, I'm still not use to the long trigger reset. The magazine release is too heavy at times even with just a couple rounds in the mag. Of course the factory sights suck. The thing I really like about the gun is the way it feels especialy the grips. If I could get some custom work done, it would be a great gun. All of that is on hold now wth the release of the competition 5.25. Now it's just wait and see.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a competition pistol it is a step in the right direction. Nice length & sights but... It still can't compete with the Glock 34 & Smith & Wesson M&P pro because the bore axis is way to high. A high bore axis = more muzzle flip = slower times. What they needed to do is a major redesign where they lower the bore axis and make it so you can get your hand higher on the frame.

With that type of thinking maybe they need to redesign the 1911 it to has a high bore axis to shoot it fast. This bore axis excuse just doesn't fly. Learn to grip the gun properly and shoot good ammo, you won't be able to see any difference.

Oh and I've seen people shooting .013 splits with excellent accuracy out of an XD/m, maybe if the bore axis is lowered they could do .012 or .011's. As Flex would say pick a gun and shoot it.

Rich

Heeeeeyyy...I can do 0.11's with my Glock. Winning!!! LOL

Seriously though... I am going to fall in with the other Grand Masters posting on this one. Take the gun you have in hand a figure out what you need to do (personally) to run that thing.

Theory is good...practical application is better. I know that Steve Anderson's Bill Drill with his XD is exactly the same as my bill Drill with my Glock (1.55s).

Nobody ever reached their potential talking about bore axis.

Shoot that tool!

It will be interesting to see where the price settles in at. I remember the HS2000 had a retail price of $299. I just can't shoot an XD. The slide release is right under my thumbs. The slide never locks back.

As a competition pistol it is a step in the right direction. Nice length & sights but... It still can't compete with the Glock 34 & Smith & Wesson M&P pro because the bore axis is way to high. A high bore axis = more muzzle flip = slower times. What they needed to do is a major redesign where they lower the bore axis and make it so you can get your hand higher on the frame.

With that type of thinking maybe they need to redesign the 1911 it to has a high bore axis to shoot it fast. This bore axis excuse just doesn't fly. Learn to grip the gun properly and shoot good ammo, you won't be able to see any difference.

Oh and I've seen people shooting .013 splits with excellent accuracy out of an XD/m, maybe if the bore axis is lowered they could do .012 or .011's. As Flex would say pick a gun and shoot it.

Rich

Your comparing a metal frame to a polymer. I own both the m&p and a xdm and shot with my reloads you can for sure tell the difference in muzzle flip. Its just a fact.

I'm not comparing guns, I'm using your theory on bore axis. The difference between the XD/m, m&p, and glock is insignificant, now if your looking at inches then it might hold a few drops of water.

Rich

Its not my theory. I thought it was a scientific one...lol maybe the m&p just felt better. When I go back to the xdm the grip texture just doesn't feel as great as the m&p. I was probably talking in inches. Other then that and the roll pin I never had any other problem with the xdm. The $1400 price tag is quite suprising though

Bore axis....can we put that tired argument to rest yet? We just heard from 2 premier gunsmiths that said it's negligible. Shoot what ever you want.....just shoot it

I too need a holographic sight. By the time I tilt my head back far enough to get a crisp sight picture, the target is barely visable.

Have you tried monovision shooting glasses with the master eye lens ground so you can see the sights?

Way better than bouncing your head around to line up the trifocals. Cheaper than an Open gun.

Rich

Your comparing a metal frame to a polymer. I own both the m&p and a xdm and shot with my reloads you can for sure tell the difference in muzzle flip. Its just a fact.

I'm not comparing guns, I'm using your theory on bore axis. The difference between the XD/m, m&p, and glock is insignificant, now if your looking at inches then it might hold a few drops of water.

Rich

Its not my theory. I thought it was a scientific one...lol maybe the m&p just felt better. When I go back to the xdm the grip texture just doesn't feel as great as the m&p. I was probably talking in inches. Other then that and the roll pin I never had any other problem with the xdm. The $1400 price tag is quite suprising though

Bore axis....can we put that tired argument to rest yet? We just heard from 2 premier gunsmiths that said it's negligible. Shoot what ever you want.....just shoot it

My bad...I learned it from reading this forum.

Hi Guys,

II'm getting in on this thing late but, I have 5 of the new 5.25's and am hosting a demo tomorrow July 2 at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club for any one who wants to handle and shoot one of these babies. I'll be out there from 08:00 a.m. until 11:00 on training bay 1.

BTW I'm sure no retailer has one of these yet. The five that I have were the only ones out of writer's or factory hands as of Thursday.

I can tell you it is pretty cool. The longer sight radius is going to be loved by anyone who wants a little more precision. The way the adjustable sight is installed is also clean and low. Sorry Rich, Scott and Daniel, I think it is going to be hard to improve the sight picture with a Bo-Mar type and stay as low. I'm hoping you guys will make awesome pieces for this gun though. I think it's going to be the cat's meow for production. No talk of further calibers yet but I would guess the .40 won't be too hard. I wish I'd had this thing at Bianchi this year. Gonna be a bummer for all of us though when Kyle Schmidt gets his. Hope to see some of you lucky Arizonan's out at Rio tomorrow. It's only going to be like 150 degrees!

Rob

post-2016-0-07697300-1309541708_thumb.gi

Edited by TGO

I too need a holographic sight. By the time I tilt my head back far enough to get a crisp sight picture, the target is barely visable.

Have you tried monovision shooting glasses with the master eye lens ground so you can see the sights?

Way better than bouncing your head around to line up the trifocals. Cheaper than an Open gun.

Unfortunetely, not an option. I have some ,black & white, vision in my left eye (retinal nerve damage that is not correctable). There is just enough vision to give me some depth perception. So, if I put a magnified lens in front of my right eye, I would be running around nearly blind :(

Now, back to this new XDm 525!

Hi Guys,

II'm getting in on this thing late but, I have 5 of the new 5.25's and am hosting a demo tomorrow July 2 at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club for any one who wants to handle and shoot one of these babies. I'll be out there from 08:00 a.m. until 11:00 on training bay 1.

BTW I'm sure no retailer has one of these yet. The five that I have were the only ones out of writer's or factory hands as of Thursday.

I can tell you it is pretty cool. The longer sight radius is going to be loved by anyone who wants a little more precision. The way the adjustable sight is installed is also clean and low. Sorry Rich, Scott and Daniel, I think it is going to be hard to improve the sight picture with a Bo-Mar type and stay as low. I'm hoping you guys will make awesome pieces for this gun though. I think it's going to be the cat's meow for production. No talk of further calibers yet but I would guess the .40 won't be too hard. I wish I'd had this thing at Bianchi this year. Gonna be a bummer for all of us though when Kyle Schmidt gets his. Hope to see some of you lucky Arizonan's out at Rio tomorrow. It's only going to be like 150 degrees!

Rob

Rob- bring 'em to the Pro-Am......pleeeeeeaaaasssseeeeeee. ;)

Hi Guys,

Rob

Can you let us know when they will be available to the unwashed masses, how much they will cost, and, if there is any improvement to the stock XDM trigger?

Just came back from the range where I fired for the first time my personal 5.25. It differs from stock in that it has a Springfield Custom shop trigger job that won't pick up a 3 pound NRA trigger weight!. Aye Caramba!! All else is stock until I get Marty at Accuracy Speaks to do the grip texturing.

The stock trigger is the same as all XDm's. No changes to the bottom end, all the magic is in the slide assembly. I can tell you it is without a doubt my favorite XD/XDm pistol. No chance to properly shoot groups yet, but was able to shoot 19 shots into about three inches standing at 20 yards on a steel plate I am using for the demo tomorrow. That was 147 grain Atlanta Arms 147 grain fmj. I really like the way it feels and how the sights track in recoil. I'm definitely shooting this thing as soon as it gets on the USPSA approved list. Would guess that will happen by end of July.

Not sure about the price yet. It's going to be cheaper than doing all these mods to an existing XDm. Gun isn't even available to dealers quite yet, even though it is done and we obviously have units in stock. If you want one keep an eye on the Springfield website. They may be offering the first ones to folks there. Either way it won't be long before they become available. I don't have a date yet, but again, keep an eye on Springfield-Armory.com for the latest info.

The thing doesn't kick. It ejects well with the 4 loads I tried, especially the light loads. This may be my production and limited gun for the Steel Challenge. I've never considered anything to replace my trick 1911's until this. Be interesting to see how well I can shoot it when I get back from Camp Perry and get into Steel mode.

Gun uses same recoil spring guide as 4.5, and I'm guessing the same spring. A tungsten guide rod for this is going to weigh a ton if it is the big diameter and goes all the way to the end of the slide. I'm telling you all now, this thing is going to be cool!!!

Rob

No matter how it comes from the factory a gunsmith trigger job will always be better.

Rob,

I'm sure I'll be able to improve that rear sight and make you a tungsten guide rod in the 5+ ounce range(The 4.5 is already 4.1 oz).

Rich

Edited by RIIID

No matter how it comes from the factory a gunsmith trigger job will always be better.

Rob,

I'm sure I'll be able to improve that rear sight and make you a tungsten guide rod in the 5+ ounce range(The 4.5 is already 4.1 oz).

Rich

Not if he hopes to shoot that in Production..... :P :P

monovision glasses worked great for me! My sights are sharp and my hits got a lot better that I can actually call shots.

Rob,

Rich

And the price will be?

It will be available when???

And if you say so it will be production legal - Right

Rich, No doubt! The stock guns can never have the tuning you put into one of your awesome trigger jobs. The amount of time and precision required is expensive and would be prohibitive and the factory would never accept the light weight that can be achieved. That's why I'm not real concerned about the trigger. It would have been nice if it had been made a little lighter or shorter than the 4.5's for bragging rights, but in reality I'm going to want either tuned to perfection anyway. That's why I'm so happy! These guns are going to get fettled with by someone looking for peak performance. By you or Springfield's Custom Shop or whomever. It doesn't really matter if the starting point is 6 lbs. or 8 lbs.

The point is that Springfield has given us the stuff we can't do on our own. The sights, the longer, lightened slide, to be production legal for most organizing bodies, those things have to be done by the factory. The XDm is a great platform and this model is going to be the best XDm to start with. Now we finish it off just like a 1911. I think that's the focus here; get a good foundation worthy of refinement.

We are moving into another level of performance. The performance gap between custom 1911's costing thousands more and the highly modified production class gun just got smaller. Whatever the price this comes in at is going to be cheap. The sights are very good. Sure, someone may come up with something they like better, but these are good enough to not require replacing. This gun may have the first factory sights I am not planning on replacing. A trigger job and grip stippling makes this model a nice gun, with no apologies needed.

In my experience, the XDm can be tuned to a level only exceeded by the 1911's. The 5.25 is great right out of the box. If you can use the stock trigger, go out there and let the butt kickings begin. If you like me want a little personalization, (did I just make up a word?) This is the perfect starting point for a performance polymer pistol. PPP, copyright Ricky Bobby Inc.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Maybe a KKM 1 in 32 barrel shooting 115 jhp's at 1150 and we get a gun as accurate as a PPC 1911? Who would have ever thought that was even a possibility with a plastic gun? Brave new world.

Rob

Rob,

Rich

Not if he hopes to shoot that in Production..... :P :P

Of course not for Production but for Limited when the 40 comes out. Now my 5/16" tungsten rod will make Production weight.

Rich

Rich, No doubt! The stock guns can never have the tuning you put into one of your awesome trigger jobs. The amount of time and precision required is expensive and would be prohibitive and the factory would never accept the light weight that can be achieved. That's why I'm not real concerned about the trigger. It would have been nice if it had been made a little lighter or shorter than the 4.5's for bragging rights, but in reality I'm going to want either tuned to perfection anyway. That's why I'm so happy! These guns are going to get fettled with by someone looking for peak performance. By you or Springfield's Custom Shop or whomever. It doesn't really matter if the starting point is 6 lbs. or 8 lbs.

The point is that Springfield has given us the stuff we can't do on our own. The sights, the longer, lightened slide, to be production legal for most organizing bodies, those things have to be done by the factory. The XDm is a great platform and this model is going to be the best XDm to start with. Now we finish it off just like a 1911. I think that's the focus here; get a good foundation worthy of refinement.

We are moving into another level of performance. The performance gap between custom 1911's costing thousands more and the highly modified production class gun just got smaller. Whatever the price this comes in at is going to be cheap. The sights are very good. Sure, someone may come up with something they like better, but these are good enough to not require replacing. This gun may have the first factory sights I am not planning on replacing. A trigger job and grip stippling makes this model a nice gun, with no apologies needed.

In my experience, the XDm can be tuned to a level only exceeded by the 1911's. The 5.25 is great right out of the box. If you can use the stock trigger, go out there and let the butt kickings begin. If you like me want a little personalization, (did I just make up a word?) This is the perfect starting point for a performance polymer pistol. PPP, copyright Ricky Bobby Inc.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Maybe a KKM 1 in 32 barrel shooting 115 jhp's at 1150 and we get a gun as accurate as a PPC 1911? Who would have ever thought that was even a possibility with a plastic gun? Brave new world.

Rob

There's no doubt this gun will dominate in any competition stock or highly tuned. I'm going to have fun making these guns into "Perfection Performance Polymer Pistols" copyright Canyon Armament. Now to get one into my hands to start Perfection.

Rich

Just back from Rio Salado demo. Lots of people turned out and shot the new 5.25's. It was hot! We finished early so I apologize to the gentleman who showed up as we were packing up to leave. Shot almost 3,000 rounds through 3 guns, no problems. When they got to hot to touch we put them in the ice chest and then just kept on loading mags. Not a single hitch as far as I saw. Now have shot a few hundred rounds through my gun and am only falling deeper in love! Going to have Marty at Accuracy Speaks do the grip texturing as soon as I see him.

Rich, I know what you aftermarket guys need to get on first. Many production class shooters have switched to front and rear Fiber optic sights, and one of them (Kippi, my wife) wants those two dots in the rear blade.

The longer slide and sight radius is very noticeable to me! Funny thing though, with all this talk about triggers and tuning, I shot my best run on our informal XDm challenge with the stock BiTone gun with the heavier trigger! Either way this is a great production gun, even before you hot rodders get a hold of it.

Rob