Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A big stick

If you are a good shooter, why do you need a light recoil spring in your gun?

Don't give me this bs about "feel"...shoot a setup that doesn't tear your stuff up, or crack your slide!

You are good. You can adapt to most any weight of recoil spring. Bump it up, or I feel I owe it to you to smack you in the head with a 2 by 4.

But... but... but... What about my new powder I'm using that has a softer recoil impulse mixed with my new bullet profile that reacts with the earth's electromagnetic field to keep the muzzle down?

Because you shoot .40 minor in production, you can't mill the slide, and you would like the gun to cycle reliably?

Oh sorry, I don't think you wanted that answer :devil:

Let me try again .. Real Men shoot full power .45 ball and like it 'case it killed Nazi's just fine for my grandpa. Putting holes in those slides to make them lighter is for poofters and those guns will break in the mud of the jungles of Vietnam!! *rabble**rabble*

There .. was that the answer you were looking for? ;)

Because you shoot .40 minor in production, you can't mill the slide, and you would like the gun to cycle reliably?

Oh sorry, I don't think you wanted that answer :devil:

No, that is a great answer. That is properly matching your spring to your setup, for functionality.

What I am talking about is a handful of really good shooters that I know...guys that are good enough to adapt to anything...yet they run a setup that is "marginal" ...in the name of feel.

They are good enough that their skills trump feel. What would help them is shooting gear that ran great, and/or didn't break the gun.

They are good enough that their skills trump feel. What would help them is shooting gear that ran great, and/or didn't break the gun.

I'm not saying I'm a top shooter or anything, but I did learn one thing real well. Reliability is paramount in this sport. I use different springs that work with my set up but ONLY if they work 100%. I too have seen way too many people struggle with gun issues... makes me wonder...

Edited by lugnut

I think it is an overly ambigious statement. If you wanna save wear and tear on the machine leave it at home in the safe it will never wear out. Then again I've been bored and put a post out that was looking for trouble just to generate a little excitment.

When it comes to recoil springs in general I tend to run a little heavier than most, not to protect the machine but to accomodate my lack of skill dealing with rcoil. However, that said I took my limited gun down to 12# from 14# because it allowed me to shoot faster and still be accurate. I run 10# in my open guns because it works for me and an 8# like most run makes my dot jump over the moon.

I haven't broken anything yet. I'll post if I do.

So my overly ambigious opinion is shoot what works for you, and go extra light if you got the money to replace the parts.

Hello: I will agree to say that you should go a little heavier on the recoil spring for reliability. I use a 14lb spring in my 45 instead of a 12.5lb that alot of guys use. I also use a 8lb or 9lb recoil springs in my open pistols instead of the 6lb some use. The Glock 34 is the same, I use a 13lb spring instead of the 11lb ones. I must admit that I am using a 15lb recoil spring in my XD-9 tactical and it feels sooooo good :roflol: I will agree that some really good shooters use stuff that is right on the edge of reliability, maybe they do that so they can blame the equipment. I have seen that done before :surprise: Thanks, Eric

God loves Flex!

I will make this brief as I can (I could get rather verbose on the subject of learning to shoot first then maybe monkey with your blaster.)

Over and over again we have newbie’s posting "I just got this Glock (or?) what do I need to it so I can be competitive?"

I cringe every time "we" offer up plenty of "buy these parts" suggestions instead of the old and boring “shoot the piece until you, or it, wear out!"

FWIW I "used" to be a GM (that's another story) and I made GM with a homebuilt Para in 45ACP using a Milt Sparks IWB holster shooting 185PF ammo

running an 18# recoil spring.

Was I handicapping myself...hell no! That pistol ran well and is still running in someone else's hands, today. Sure I tried the recoil spring parade following Jerry Barnhart’s (and Wolff spring company) doctrine: Spring up in weight until it won't lock back weak handed and drop spring weight till it does....done.

Sorry for the pointed rant kids, I've just been at this a long time and the best advice is..master the freaking fundamentals first…the rest of the JC Whitney crap will come and go. Skill CAN build forever!

Best to you all on your quest to be better tomorrow.

Patrick

I hear rumors that Flex has been using rear coil springs from 1/2 ton GMC in his guns, and has made GM overnight :cheers:

Who here knows where his secret stach of springs can be found? :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure I am just a spring change from GM :cheers:

Jim :P ...little late for april first

• 1 year later...

I hear rumors that Flex has been using rear coil springs from 1/2 ton GMC in his guns, and has made GM overnight :cheers:

Who here knows where his secret stach of springs can be found? :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure I am just a spring change from GM :cheers:

Jim :P ...little late for april fir

Actually I totally agree with flex on this.

But I have toyed with the idea of using the a leaf spring off a 5 ton

• 4 weeks later...

Don't give me this bs about "feel"...shoot a setup that doesn't tear your stuff up, or crack your slide!

You are good. You can adapt to most any weight of recoil spring. Bump it up, or I feel I owe it to you to smack you in the head with a 2 by 4.

OK. Just for grins. What # recoil spring is in your open blaster? As of 5/23/2012

Edited by TWHaz

• 4 months later...

Just sayin...

I think it is an overly ambigious statement. If you wanna save wear and tear on the machine leave it at home in the safe it will never wear out. ...

So my overly ambigious opinion is shoot what works for you, and go extra light if you got the money to replace the parts.

What is that old joke about <inset car name here> ? Buy two, so you have one to drive while the other is in the shop.

Let me try again .. Real Men™ shoot full power .45 ball and like it 'case it killed Nazi's just fine for my grandpa. Putting holes in those slides to make them lighter is for poofters and those guns will break in the mud of the jungles of Vietnam!! *rabble**rabble*

There .. was that the answer you were looking for? ;)

LOL i have to admit I'm that guy. Love me some 45 fmj even though it puts me at the back of the crowd.cheers.gif Even have my grandpas nazi slayer 1911 that came through Normandy and on to the battle of the bulge. Trigger sucks but the piece is something I wouldn't trade for the world and still shoots good. Yep, I'm that guy.

Edited by JDMarshall