Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abandoning Pistol

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety and you're good to go. I think it's important that the box/tube/pipe is made to prevent it from pointing in an unsafe direction, and if it points in an unsafe manner somehow, the RO should remind the shooter, and make them correct before continuing. I know it's not in the rule book.. but it's a safety issue. If that can't be the case, than completely unloaded..

Just don't slide it to it's position (I've seen that a few times) .. set it down flat.

I shoot a Glock, however I do care, so I can't vote on this poll.

+1

I am switching over to the 2011 platform this year so I will be dumping the mag and racking the slide before I take a dump.

+2

Going from a G34 to a Benny Hill 6" 9mm Fat Free. I'll probably be slower but at leaset I'll have the CDI factor.

I engage the safety and very gently lay it down. Before removing my hand I visually check it to make sure it's still on safe. This is probably a couple tenths slower than clearing it, but I've seen shooters that have forgotten to drop the mag before racking the slide; racked the slide and the round has went back in the chamber; racked the slide and the round has staying in a now horizontal mag well; etc. It's loaded, I know it, and the safety goes on.

Put it on safe and leave it. As you place the pistol look to make sure the safety does not re-engage. Put the pistol in the position DO NOT SLIDE!!!!!!!!! Always faster!

Edited by Chivas

Also have to be aware of matches that allow, or encourage ROs to check (manipulate) competitors pistols while they are down range. Even with a Glock, I drop the mag and eject the live round in those situations.

Edited by MarkCO

13 replies and no one's said "hey, don't throw it out - just drop it off at my house"? :roflol: man, the crowd is dead tonight.

thanks very much folks, enjoy the show - remember to tip your waiter and try the veal!

13 replies and no one's said "hey, don't throw it out - just drop it off at my house"? :roflol: man, the crowd is dead tonight.

thanks very much folks, enjoy the show - remember to tip your waiter and try the veal!

Damn, I'm slipping. :roflol:

Also, I can't believe no one has suggested throwing it yet:

(Mr. Cramblit, if you read this - yes, I thought that was pretty funny)

:lol:

Edited by DyNo!

The time it takes to empty it is much less than the drive home after the DQ!!! I've heard and seen more whining stories and horror stories about guns that "were" left on safe and then miraculously became unsafe, than I have about guns that reloaded themselves.

Empty it!!!

Trapr, I H8 polls!!!

thus far I have engaged the safety of my 1911 and layed in down and had zero problem. I've also burned a round to the gun empty and into slide lock in which case i tossed in in the dump box and went on my way.

The time it takes to empty it is much less than the drive home after the DQ!!! I've heard and seen more whining stories and horror stories about guns that "were" left on safe and then miraculously became unsafe, than I have about guns that reloaded themselves.

Empty it!!!

Trapr, I H8 polls!!!

I'm with Trapr on this one. Unloaded is much safer (as in less likely to lead to a DQ)

I have both emptied and placed a loaded pistol on safe into a dump box. Actually the question applies to Rifle, Shotgun AND to Pistol. The SAFEST way to do this is drop the mag, rack the gun empty, place it in the dump station. Even with an autoload SG. I'd favor making empty guns a rule IF the dump station is horizontal. IF the dump station is a buried tube, then do we really care if the gun is empty or on safe? It is pointed down with the muzzle below ground level and fully supported past the trigger guard. Even if a wayward super secret squirrel got loose and jumped into the tube and the gun went off, where is it going to go?

Pistol is as bit more delicate as its weight is so much lighter that it could jump and possibly wind up pointing in an unsafe direction.

Unloaded is safest by far and how much time does it really take? Engage the final pistol target, hit the mag button and fire the last shot into the last target, so you get three hits, so? Better than a long lonely drive home or worse, three days watching a match you can no longer compete in.