Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Near Fatal Motorcycle Crash

Joe D

First of all let me say I am just glad to be alive. I had a near fatal crash July 31, 2010. I was riding my ZX10 with five friends that day. I went around a slow 180 degree curve that I had been around 50+ times. My front tire hit a piece of gravel and washed out. I was thrown into the guard rail at about 35 mph. My injuries were as follows - six broken ribs, broken back, ruptured spleen, tibia sticking out of my leg, broken right arm, traumatic brain injury, broken jaw and broken eye orbits.

I was lucky in that an EMT was 1/2 mile behind me headed to work. A fire station was only 2 miles away. They carried me to the UAB level 1 trauma center. The Cheif of Surgery just happen to be in that day - not scheduled to be in. He was the one that opened me up.

My recovery has been a true miracle. I was in a comma for 2 weeks with a 50/50 chance of living.

Don't ever believe that prayer does not work. I had over 1,000 people praying for me.

I just started shooting again. I am now a Marksman rather than a Master.

First of all let me say I am just glad to be alive. I had a near fatal crash July 31, 2010. I was riding my ZX10 with five friends that day. I went around a slow 180 degree curve that I had been around 50+ times. My front tire hit a piece of gravel and washed out. I was thrown into the guard rail at about 35 mph. My injuries were as follows - six broken ribs, broken back, ruptured spleen, tibia sticking out of my leg, broken right arm, traumatic brain injury, broken jaw and broken eye orbits.

I was lucky in that an EMT was 1/2 mile behind me headed to work. A fire station was only 2 miles away. They carried me to the UAB level 1 trauma center. The Cheif of Surgery just happen to be in that day - not scheduled to be in. He was the one that opened me up.

My recovery has been a true miracle. I was in a comma for 2 weeks with a 50/50 chance of living.

Don't ever believe that prayer does not work. I had over 1,000 people praying for me.

I just started shooting again. I am now a Marksman rather than a Master.

Good to hear that you are back! I don't want to open a can of worms here, but were you wearing a helmet? I don't know the laws where you had your accident (here in Florida, they (we) don't have to wear a helmet, but I still do, even if I'm just going to the store a mile way).

Joe,

Sometimes we live when we shouldn't. I believe God has a plan for you to

speak of this miracle to people who do not believe. Prayer is so powerful

and yet so simple. I also believe that this Marksman will again be a Master

in the future. May God bless you and your family as you continue to walk

with him.

Ron

A guard rail, a paramedic, fire station, level I trauma center, and the chief of surgery. You are probably the luckiest guy on this forum. It sounds to me like you had three life-threatening injuries at the same time. And you were at risk of losing your leg too. Yikes.

Sounds like they took your spleen. Make sure you get your vaccines. Good luck Joe D.

I'm so glad you're recovering. You were incredibly lucky! I rode a bike (Suzuki SV650) for about 10 years but working at a major trauma center and being one of the first people to see what it looks like right 'after the fact' led me to finally hang up my helmet. I do miss it. Stay safe.

Glad you are doing good.

Before my Linda would agree to marry me she asked me Not to ride motorcycles (Road Bikes) I said OK she said yes , and 24 years later, I -Feel- at least as lucky as you are.

:cheers:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thanks for all the kind words. I had on full armor, full coverage helmet, armored race leather jacket, pants, gloves and boots. If I had not been wearing a full coverage helmet I would not be here today. I hit the guard rail with my face. It split the lower part of the helmet. My ZX10 was totaled. I did not lose a dime on it. My other bike, ZX14, goes on sale this spring.

It was not funny at the time, but I have a picture of me on the stretcher with my $300+ pants that the paramedics turned into shorts.

post-1058-073535100 1295820179_thumb.jpg

Hope you recovery goes well.

I lost 2 freinds to motorcycle accidents over a 3 week period several years ago. Made a believer out of me, immediately sold my HD. As the saying goes " there but by the grace of God go I"

Edited by Jaxshooter

Glad to hear you are back.

The 300$ pants did their job. A guy layed his V65 Magna down last summer and they are still debating on taking his leg off. Their trying to save it but not having much luck with skin grafs. He had on tennis shoes and has no heel and most of the foot is gone. BTW he layed his down at 55+ Stupid girl turned left in front of him on a county road. Said she never seen him.

Edited by Caspian_45

Wow Joe. Glad you are getting better. I had no idea this had happened. I pulled up some CAGC scores last week and saw your name and you listed as a Marksman. I thought it was a mistake and that you had gun problems or something. I think you still beat Audrey though. :) I have no doubt you'll be a Master again soon. You helped my shooting in several ways over the past few years. Answering questions, learning from watching you shoot, and inspiring me by always beating me. I hope to be beaten by you again sometime soon. Take care.

AL

Joe,

Sometimes we live when we shouldn't. I believe God has a plan for you to

speak of this miracle to people who do not believe. Prayer is so powerful

and yet so simple. I also believe that this Marksman will again be a Master

in the future. May God bless you and your family as you continue to walk

with him.

Ron

I KNOW what Sparky says is true! :D

Glad you're getting your life back together. I had a trauma (not as bad as yours) 2 years ago Feb 5th. I was kicked in the face by a horse. I was lucky to live but had 8 fractures.

It took 4 plates and 60 screws to make me beautiful again...haha. It took me a year to get over it. It also changes the way you think. One second can change your life.

You got a second chance...Make it count.

Best Wishes

Jeff

Thanks for all the kind words. I had on full armor, full coverage helmet, armored race leather jacket, pants, gloves and boots. If I had not been wearing a full coverage helmet I would not be here today. I hit the guard rail with my face. It split the lower part of the helmet. My ZX10 was totaled. I did not lose a dime on it. My other bike, ZX14, goes on sale this spring.

It was not funny at the time, but I have a picture of me on the stretcher with my $300+ pants that the paramedics turned into shorts.

That's what good gear is for, it's great that it helped you survive the crash.

I gave up riding after a similar accident. I promised my mother to never ride a motorcycle again. I have never broken that promise either.

But, my pulse still quickens when you hear a V-4 screaming to a 14000rpm redline, powershifting each gear as the needle sweeps just shy of it's 14,500 rev limiter, the rush of adrenaline, as your brain struggles with a crankshaft speed of over 241 revs per second, the whine of the gear driven camshafts, and intoxicating induction howl.... wow just wow, here comes the apex of a corner... add some opposite lock, lean over, power steady... clip the apex and start feeding in that throttle.. more throttle... more throttle then another upshift.... ahhhh

I still miss it. God only knows, but a promise is a promise.

I know the feeling, but I made the same promise to my wife. I put her through a lot. She did not know what she was going to have when I came out of the comma. Now that I am retired I will be able to keep another promise I made laying in the rehab clinic. I plan on doing volunteer work at the VA helping the soldiers that also have TBI due to IEDs.

I know the feeling, but I made the same promise to my wife. I put her through a lot. She did not know what she was going to have when I came out of the comma. Now that I am retired I will be able to keep another promise I made laying in the rehab clinic. I plan on doing volunteer work at the VA helping the soldiers that also have TBI due to IEDs.

Coolness.