Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in the winter?

Maksim

Last week was my first match where it was in the high 30's, very low 40's. Up here in NJ, getting cold.... so for the experienced shooters, do you shoot year round even into the cold winter, or do you stop for the colder months?

Last week was my first match where it was in the high 30's, very low 40's. Up here in NJ, getting cold.... so for the experienced shooters, do you shoot year round even into the cold winter, or do you stop for the colder months?

some how we are able to cope with those sub-70's days. It's tough, but you gotta deal with it.

Naw...I'll shoot till it's deep in the 60's :roflol:

Sorry...I just couldn't resist. :D

I'll take the cold weather over your draconian gun laws any day. :sight:

Yeah..some of them are pretty stupid...but we're workin on it :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you're talking about Shongum? That wasn't cold. <_<

I shoot year round. Wear the proper clothing, wear gloves when you aren't shooting, etc etc.

When the weather says it will be 50, and you are dressed for it. lol. it was cold. =) luckily took my ski jacket.

Leave my house at 6:30 am to drive there and it shows 39 degrees. Get to Shongum an hour and half later and it is 32.... and didnt seem to warm up much.

But looks like will be squeezing another match out tomorrow... supposed to hit 60 in jackson.

Edited by Maksim

Thin blooded flatlanders.. it generally doesn't snow at our range in August. We had a pretty good snow for one day of the Mile-Hi Showdown one Fourth of July weekend. Our range is not too far downhill from the Continental Divide. Fortunately we do have matches at ranges down out of the mountains. We shoot if it's cold, but not if it's blowing snow and the roads are crappy.

AWLAZS,

Is there a 3 inch deep pile of brass on the ground when the snow thaws?

Jeff

My daughter went to the range one spring with some buckets to collect brass. She let me have what I wanted and still bought a Nintendo ds

You just need to dress accordingly for the weather. I have shot a IDPA match on ice before. I also shot plenty of matches in snow ,we also have some indoor winter matches here but with all the exhaust fans running it's just as cold as outside. You got to be able to shoot in all conditions. :cheers:

Speaking for our club in general, when we were younger and more enthusiastic, we shot year round. Now we lay off in the winter. It's not the shooting as much as setting up and tearing down with limited man power when it's bitter cold.

That's definitely true. We once set up the usual 6 stages and only six people showed up. LOL We finished shootingthe match in about 30 minutes. Set up and tear down took much longer.

It's obvious that winter means different things to different people. Depends on whether you are in Arizona or Ohio I guess.:rolleyes:

I'm in Ohio. I spent half my life freezing my ass off in the Army. I don't subject myself to the cold any more than I have to these days. I love to shoot but I also like to be comfortable.:sight: