Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Rackers?

TruStreet

Any suggestions for a racker that doesn't have a set screw or a detent?

The human hyenas of the world are astonished and dismayed when their intended victims fight back.

The answer to street violence is counterattack rather than more jails. Jeff Cooper

Ball detent works. The ones that come off are they ones with set screws.....

I will confess...I've had my racker fly off in a match...Yes it is a set screw type (home made at that!), but once some loctite was put on it, it has never come off without me wanting it off.

I will confess...I've had my racker fly off in a match...Yes it is a set screw type (home made at that!), but once some loctite was put on it, it has never come off without me wanting it off.

The way I do it is to pull the screw all the way out and put a drop of blue in the hole and then put the screw back in... the LT will fill the gaps between the dovetail and once it sets up, you don't even need a set screw. You will have to tap it out though.

I take out the set screw, add blue loctite and let it dry. I then reassemble the set screw back into the slide racker. It stays tight and has never come off while shooting.

I made the mistake of adding loctite to the set screw and assembling the racker into the slide's dovetail. The loctite froze the screw and racker into the dovetail and I had to tap it out. That was tough.

The way I do it is to pull the screw all the way out and put a drop of blue in the hole and then put the screw back in... the LT will fill the gaps between the dovetail and once it sets up, you don't even need a set screw. You will have to tap it out though.

I have the ball detent and a set screw. For the first

year or so every thing was fine. Then I noticed that

the racker was getting loose during the match-till one

day it flew off, now I use BLT on the screw to hold it

on! Maybe the detent ball needs a new spring? :unsure:

I've had both. Tbe one with the set screw was constantly coming loose and falling off. The Blue Loctite works well to correct this but you need to use only a small drop. If you use too much it will glue the racker into the dovetail and you'll need to heat it to get it out.

The ball detent version is a much better option. I have one on each of my Open guns. I've never had one come off yet a tug with your fingers is all it takes to remove it for disassembly of the gun. I'd never go back to a set screw version.

I lost my slide racker (with set screw) during the Florida State Match this year. The screw had lossened earlier and I thought I had tightened it sufficently, but suddenly it was gone, never to be seen again (black metal in black dirt) :unsure: .

I've used both. Both work (ditto to using blue locktite to secure the set screw). Ball detent is definitely more convenient. Never had either one come loose and fly off while shooting, though I've had a set screw back out a few times (never enough to lose the racker, though).

I have both and prefer the ball dent. After the Open Nationals I will be converting my primary gun to a ball dent to hold the slide racker.

How do you convert a screw set to a ball dent?

Uh, install a ball detent.

Seems obvious enough :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...