Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 10 round 45 1911 mag is the best in your opinion?

cold

Looking to get some 10 round 45 ACP 1911 mags. I see Wilson, Chip McC and Tripp make some 10 round mags, any other company I should consider? Any suggestions as to which I should go with and why?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cold

Second on the older Browns, they also will hold more than ten if you change follower. Wilsons are great of course. Seen too many McCormicks over insert on a lock back reload causing a giant PITA type jam. Also saw a guy break an extended ejector that way but he was a big ole boy.

If you are using a S&A magwell, you will have to sand/file/grind material from the big plastic basepad on CMC mags. I had some CMCs that ran great for about a year, then I would start havingproblems with the follower trying to come out of the magazine with the last round. It would hang on the feed ramp and when I pulled the mag out of the gun (because it didn't fall out) the follower would explode out of the mag along with the spring.

I switched to Wilsons several years ago. They will eventually get to where they will not fall out of the gun. When they do, call Wilson and they will replace them. :cheers:

I don't have any experience with Tripp mags, but I have never heard anything bad about them.

Hurley

Seen too many McCormicks over insert on a lock back reload causing a giant PITA type jam. Also saw a guy break an extended ejector that way but he was a big ole boy.

i had the same problem with my 10 round shooting star mags, actually loosened up the extended ejector on an early 90's vintage pin gun after an overenthusiastic magazine insertion (oops). never had any problems with my wilson mags, have since retired my CMC's...

How can you possibly overinsert a CMC? With the basepad attached, the mag must be 1/4" larger, in both length and width, than the magwell opening? Now, I've seen a half-dozen Wilsons overinserted when that teeny little tab pops off the front of the tube. Good news is, in exchange for your ruined stage, you'll get a new mag with a little tab that will pop off. The only problem I've had with CMCs, in almost ten years of weekly use, is a tendency for the tube to expand, forward of the feedlips, enough to prevent the mags from dropping free. It's somewhat irritating to have to test and adjust them, but it's become part of my pre-match ritual, and isn't a big deal.

How can you possibly overinsert a CMC? With the basepad attached, the mag must be 1/4" larger, in both length and width, than the magwell opening? Now, I've seen a half-dozen Wilsons overinserted when that teeny little tab pops off the front of the tube. Good news is, in exchange for your ruined stage, you'll get a new mag with a little tab that will pop off. The only problem I've had with CMCs, in almost ten years of weekly use, is a tendency for the tube to expand, forward of the feedlips, enough to prevent the mags from dropping free. It's somewhat irritating to have to test and adjust them, but it's become part of my pre-match ritual, and isn't a big deal.

I've seen it happen several time with the CMC's. local shooter with a springfield TGO 2 did it almost every match. I found the CMC mags to be hit or miss in individual guns, they ether work great or choke, and I'm talking about the same mags used in different guns.

I like the Wilson's because of the metal stop on the front to prevent over insertion. I have both Wilson and Mc Cormick and use the Wilson's. They are both quality mags and I have never had problems with either one.

Sadly I can't begin to count the number of these metal tabs I have found on the floor at the range. The fun part is when a shooter over inserts one of these at slide lock and the tab shears off. Usually it takes a hammer to drive the magazine out of the ejection port. That being said, I have run Metalform mags for years and never had a problem. Stainless steel with the rounded follower and they have worked in every gun I have tried them in.

Joe W.