Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best way to change mag

9mmalpha

I'd think that hunting those evil ducks would have burned that off. :devil:

He doesn't seem to hunt those evil ducks very often anymore...he's always shooting IDPA matches. :)

I'm glad to see Bill (evilduckhunter) on here!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make no bones, I'm a fat bastard! I can however use the waistband with a single stack mag. If I'm shooting a double stack though, I use the vest pocket. If I try to shove a double stack in my waistband, I'm likely to start gushing gravy.

• 1 month later...

I use the waistband because it's always the same no mater what pants I have on winter or summer. Mostly do it on the move while going to the next cover point. If the shots after reload are not difficult and you are not moving from cover to cover don't stow it it your pants at all shoot with your mag hand cupped under the gun while holding the retained magazine.

I don't see that addressed in the rules as a PE and it's a lot faster than stowing a magazine. Somebody can correct me on the PE rule if I am wrong. Never been an issue at our club.

Boats

From Appendix Two - Approved IDPA Reloads (page 41 in the Rule Book):

'Failure to do an IDPA approved reload will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty per infraction. Failure to do the reload specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty or an FTDR. Failure to properly stow a partial magazine or live ammunition after a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention prior to firing the first shot after the reload, will incur a procedural penalty."

Emphasis added.

Therefore firing the gun after a tac-load or RWR with the magazine held in the support hand does indeed earn a procedural penalty because the magazine has not been stowed away before firing another shot after the reload.

To be honest, I had never even heard of the waistband method until now. My concern with that would be the mag falling out if I had any kind of movement on the stage afterward. I usually use the front left pocket - all of my cargo pants and khakis have good, open pockets so it's not that difficult to jam the mag in there on a reload with retention.

My concern with that would be the mag falling out if I had any kind of movement on the stage afterward.

I've never had a problem with that. I just stow the mag in kind of a reverse "draw" technique, i.e. I use the index finger along the front of the mag tube as a "pointer" to guide the mag into place, and that helps me get enough of the mag far enough down inside the waistband it won't pop out even when absolutely hauling it between firing points.

I'm going to have to try this in dry practice to see if it's any faster than the pocket method. I've been practicing in the pocket for a couple of years, but not having to sweep the cover garment out of the way twice seems like a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

well i am glad you guys are dissing the fat guys. i am a big guy myself 44in waste and 280lbs on a 5' 9" frame but i can and do stow my mags in the waste band when i need a quick RWR. so no u dont have to have a six pack so cheers to all lol :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

the only problem I see with the waist band techique, although it seems to have the least amount of movement, is if you are squatting behind a low port or something like that. squatting down and trying this might be a problem as to just using the vest pocket.

the only problem I see with the waist band techique, although it seems to have the least amount of movement, is if you are squatting behind a low port or something like that. squatting down and trying this might be a problem as to just using the vest pocket.

In that case I go for the back of the waistband. When you're kneeling there's a nice little pocket that opens up between the back of your belt and your lower back- at least granted you're a reasonably slim guy - and it's really easy to stuff a mag in there. On the way back out around the body, the hand grabs a spare mag. It's actually a pretty slick, time and motion efficient technique.

I have tried and tried to get the belt/waistband stow down. Problem is, I have a fine hobby of sampling beers. I have a small gut which makes it difficult to do and i crank my riggers belt very tight, the vest seems to work best for me however I have had an issue with retention in a recent event. I just picked up some 5.11 lightweight pants, the rear pockets seem to have a decent angle for stowing. The jury is still out as I am still trying to find what works for me but the new pants seem like they will work great when the weather cools off here in SC.

• 1 month later...

I use my front pocket. I put stuff into my front pocket all the time. It is a well practiced skill. I can't remember the last time I stuffed something into my waistband.

Jay

Stowing mags in the left front pocket has no practical application on the street. It is crazy tactics like this that will get you killed! Oh, wait...never mind... :rolleyes:

I use the waistband technique. I've found that it is faster and more consistant than trying to hit a pants or vest pocket. Just remember to suck it in a little bit when stowing and then relax to hold the mag in place. BTW, going prone after using this technique tends to hurt and it will leave scars. :blush: