Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best way to change mag

9mmalpha

Really depends on how your pockets are situated. Vest is a no go. I use the pants when I wear my Eotac shorts b/c the pockets are cut almost horizontal to my waist (makes for an easy insertion of the magazine and an upwards grab for the spare). With jeans or my 5.11 pants, they aren't as open (tighter pockets) so I tend to use my vest pocket just to make sure I have an easy stow of the spent mag.

I've found the vest pocket to be slower. When you drop the mag, your hand is way outside of the vest, and you then have a big distinct movement to clear the vest and get a new mag.

With the front pocket, your hand has already cleared the vest, and can move straight to the new mag.

I am a mixture of these two thoughts. I prefer the front left front pants pocket for the same reason Steve says. I think it puts my hand in a much better position to sweep the vest to grab the next magazine. And I use the EOTac pants/shorts because the pocket cuts are very generous and give me a very nice target for stowing the mag.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side question: there's no penalty for shooting a gun freestyle while holding a magazine BEFORE a reload, right?

I ask because, in some IDPA stages, you have to grab the gun and magazine from the table. Instead of pocketing the magazine or putting it in the mag pouch, is it okay to start shooting -- whether freestyle or one-handed -- while holding the magazine?

From Appendix Two - Approved IDPA Reloads (page 41 in the Rule Book):

'Failure to do an IDPA approved reload will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty per infraction. Failure to do the reload specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty or an FTDR. Failure to properly stow a partial magazine or live ammunition after a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention prior to firing the first shot after the reload, will incur a procedural penalty."

Emphasis added.

Therefore firing the gun after a tac-load or RWR with the magazine held in the support hand does indeed earn a procedural penalty because the magazine has not been stowed away before firing another shot after the reload.

From the 2010 Addendum

Appendix TWO - Approved IDPA Reloads

Additional language to rule page 41

At no time is it permissible to fire while holding a magazine or

speed loader/moon clip.

Side question: there's no penalty for shooting a gun freestyle while holding a magazine BEFORE a reload, right?

I ask because, in some IDPA stages, you have to grab the gun and magazine from the table. Instead of pocketing the magazine or putting it in the mag pouch, is it okay to start shooting -- whether freestyle or one-handed -- while holding the magazine?

From Appendix Two - Approved IDPA Reloads (page 41 in the Rule Book):

'Failure to do an IDPA approved reload will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty per infraction. Failure to do the reload specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty or an FTDR. Failure to properly stow a partial magazine or live ammunition after a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention prior to firing the first shot after the reload, will incur a procedural penalty."

Emphasis added.

Therefore firing the gun after a tac-load or RWR with the magazine held in the support hand does indeed earn a procedural penalty because the magazine has not been stowed away before firing another shot after the reload.

Something that might be obvious to some.

If I think about putting my HAND in my pocket I am much more consistent than if I 'put' the MAG in my pocket.

For me the motion of front pants pocket to pulling a new mag is very streamlined.

Just have to make sure my front pocket is roomy enough.

The concern I have about stowing the mag in my waistband (besides my belly getting in the way) is the chance of dislodging it during movement. I stow the mag in the left front pocket of my EOTAC pants - no worries about dislodging it.

If you do drop it there is no penalty....just lost time in picking it up. Correct?

PE anytime that a loading device falls out of a carrier. Once a mag is stowed in the waistband/pocket, said waistband/pocket is considered a carrier.

Jonathan,

Over the last couple months I have been experimenting with putting the partial mag from the gun in my waistline. I find it noticeably faster than my pants (Levis) pocket. It also puts my hand in a better position to just move back a little and grab a mag from the pouch. I havent' tried this with EOTac pants/shorts, so I'm not sure how those pockets compare with the waistline.

I've also experimented with where to put the second mag, in the rare case I decide to tac load twice on a stage. I've come to the (temporary?) conclusion that I should put the second mag behind/left of the first mag in my waistline.

Koski

Jonathan,Over the last couple months I have been experimenting with putting the partial mag from the gun in my waistline. I find it noticeably faster than my pants (Levis) pocket. It also puts my hand in a better position to just move back a little and grab a mag from the pouch. I havent' tried this with EOTac pants/shorts, so I'm not sure how those pockets compare with the waistline.I've also experimented with where to put the second mag, in the rare case I decide to tac load twice on a stage. I've come to the (temporary?) conclusion that I should put the second mag behind/left of the first mag in my waistline. Koski

If you have baggy pockets AND your Mag carrier doesn't block access to the pocket you can pocket the mag and pull straight up clear your cover garment and grip the mag in one motion.And multiple mags can fit easily

+1 on KFN's post.

Koski. The EOTac pockets are cut down and forward so they are well clear of the mag holders and open very easily. For me, it is very, very easy to slip the mag in the pocket, slide my hand up and back, clearing the cover garment to grab the next magazine. But as I said, this works for me. Everyone is different.

Oh, I'd use the waistline/belt method too, if they were accessible. LOL

Edited by jualdeaux

I use both methods and practice them both. When wearing a vest I go to the waistband, in a standards stage (like the classifier) I go to the pocket.

It is all about practicing and and knowing where you are going before you have to do it. Neither will be quick if you never practice them.

To slightly change the topic, Whenever I have to do a full table start, I always take a bit more time upfront to put the magazines in the mag holders. (I usually one take one extra)

Every time I have tried to save a couple seconds up front by putting them in a vest pocket or something, I still reach for the magazines in the mag holders first. It is an ingrained action. Then, after that fast 4 letter word, I remember to take it out of the pocket. I then have to take time to make sure they are facing the right way before inserting them.

I save time on the back end this way.

I do the same thing, especially if there's movement involved, you can put the mag in the mag pouch while moving from the start position to the first shooting position, so it costs you no time there, and you save yourself MAJOR time come the mag change.