Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic's new AR15 22 upper

LandLord

Kurt (and others), I envy you.

My NC-22 experience hasn't been as happy as other poster here - the first upper didn't run (ZERO successful ignitions) on my two competition lowers (JP springs and lightened hammers) and didn't run reliably enough (~ 96% over 2k rounds) with a Jard 3 lb trigger (the problem was FTFire with light primer strikes).

Ryan at Nordic was very nice, issued a call tag, and a few weeks later I had the upper back (with a new bolt group). Now it fires ~ 60% with my competition lowers, ~ 95% with the Jard trigger lower, and it's experiencing live-round FTExtract (the previous bolt extracted flawlessly). FTFire rounds exhibit light primer strikes. I'll call Nordic after Labor Day.

(Not a slam on Nordic, or the NC-22 - just a report of my experience).

I expect Nordic will be helpful and I hope that mine will eventually run like Kurt's.

Best,

ac

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here she is, finally, my Nordic .22 upper on a Tactical Machining dedicated lower.

By dedicated lower I mean it is engraved 22LR, not .223, .556, 6.8 or any other caliber. The upper and lower fit perfectly, maybe even a bit on the tight side. No movement or wiggle at all. The Black Dog mags drop free.

The gun occasionally hickups with the cheap wally world bulk ammo, but with CCI blazer it functions 100% and shoots 2moa at 100 yards.

What's not to like?

post-1357-026158000 1284317384_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So is the NC22 upper that much better than the AR22 10/22 chassis kit? I do have a AR lower waiting to be built into something, this might just be it. But the price, you can buy other AR type 22 rifles. Is it that much better than say a M&P 22 ar rifle or similar?

So is the NC22 upper that much better than the AR22 10/22 chassis kit? I do have a AR lower waiting to be built into something, this might just be it. But the price, you can buy other AR type 22 rifles. Is it that much better than say a M&P 22 ar rifle or similar?

I have the Ruger SR22 which is the factory built 10/22 with the Nordic Kit added at the factory. It's nice but not exactly the same as my competition rifle as far ad the controls, mags and weight goes.

The Nordic upper and my competition lower are within 1/2 lb in weight of my competing gun. I need to get a heavier handguard to make it identical. The other 22 rifle aren't that similar. I doubt their reliability and accuracy are as good either.

I picked up a Nordic .22 off the prize table at the Adams Arms Ozarks 3 gun. It is a complete rifle. Upper and lower.

Thank you Nordic.

Jay

I was trying to win that one! Congrats Jay, it was nice to meet you there.

So, I came home and ordered my very own upper.

Seems to be working just fine, but I only ran 2 mags thru it thus far.

I just received my Nordic upper today and I'm totally impressed with it. I went out and shot around 350 rounds through it. The ammo was a combination of Walmart Federal bulk and Remington golden bullet. The Federal ran flawless and the Remington wasn't far behind. Remington had three failures to fire. This was with a JP trigger group with low mass hammer. The overall weight and feel is basically identical to my competition upper.The only bad thing is loading the mags...I'll be buying more for sure.

I just received my Nordic upper today and I'm totally impressed with it. I went out and shot around 350 rounds through it. The ammo was a combination of Walmart Federal bulk and Remington golden bullet. The Federal ran flawless and the Remington wasn't far behind. Remington had three failures to fire. This was with a JP trigger group with low mass hammer. The overall weight and feel is basically identical to my competition upper.The only bad thing is loading the mags...I'll be buying more for sure.

Definately get more mags, and a mag loader!

• 3 weeks later...

Another +1 for Nordic. I got mine out to the range today and shot around 300 rounds. It choked on Remington subsonics, which didn't really surprise me. Federal bulk pack was excellent with my best group at 1/2" at 50 yards for zeroing. Only one failure to fire with the bulk pack. Honestly I expected more than that. It was a lot of fun plugging away at the steel. I was shooting at 5" plates from 50 yards and dropping them with no problem. Bottom line, it was fun and I got about $100 worth of trigger pulls for about $10. A few more range trips and this baby paid for itself. Not to mention the savings in barrel life for my competition rifle. One thing I will mention is that the barrel length includes the flash hider. It gives the appearance that it is slightly shorter than my 18" Noveske. Had I known that, I think I would have gotten the 20" version. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

I've got a question on these uppers. What is the length of the 1/2-28 threads? I need it to be around 0.40"-0.44" to work with my .22 suppressors. Most AR15 specific thread lengths are more like 0.625".

I have an extra spacer if you would like one. It was machined to keep the can concentric to the bore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I finely got to order my NC22. I have read a lot about it on the internet and there are various reports claiming these upper are prone to shoot some unexplainable random flyers. What are your experiences in this regard?

A few, and it is a VERY few were not champhered at the chamber mouth. In the rush to get them out the door a coulpe were over looked. What happens is as the round feeds into the chamber a small amount of the bullet is shaved away occasionally causeing flyers. There have been no problems with the latter runs, BUT if you end up with an early one, simply get a polishing tip for a dremel and LIGHTLY bevel the back of the chamber and polish the feed ramp. No more flyers. ONce again this was only a coule of the first run. KurtM

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Blackdog 32rd steel lipped mags with the push button loading feature?

I destroyed one mag when trying to clear a jam, Blackdog replaced it. From what I can tell it looks like the back of the left side of the feed lip is hitting under the ejector block? This problem is not exhibited with the plastic lipped mags or the drum...

What is the cheapest quickest easiest solution to mount a Q.D. sling swivel stud to the hand guard? I'd guess it to be use a JP. What are you all using?

The Nordic hand guard is threaded 10-32. Brownells has 10-32 sling studs that a QD swivel will attach to. Thhat is what I used on my rifle.