Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic's new AR15 22 upper

LandLord

Tim sent me one of the new Nordic AR15 22 uppers in yesterday, it's one of the pre-production units. As is usual from the Nordic guy's, this thing is awesome. So far in the last 24 hours I've put 700 to 800 rounds of Federal bulk pack through it without a single malfunction, even with the JP trigger and light hammer spring. I've posted some photos, as you can see it was designed from the ground up as a 22lr, not just an AR conversion converted to "dedicated" rimfire like the Spikes and CMMG systems. The biggest thing is it has a square bolt not unlike a Ruger 10/22, but that’s where the similarities end, it truly is something completely different.

post-13393-126663534024_thumb.jpg

post-13393-126663536127_thumb.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the upper balance and weigh similar to a 223 upper? That is what I am looking for. With the weight cut on most of the 22 uppers it is not a good transition back and forth for me. If I could get one that balances like my 18" jp I would be sold.

Tim also sent one to Triangle, we shot it some this afternoon. Slick little carbine. It will be at the TSCC match this weekend. Were going to let the folks look it over and wring it out some.-------Larry

Edited by Larry White

OK, I will chime in......

Presently, we are sending out preproduction units to a few people and companies. For testing and evaluation.

Also, we are setting up to run these in production with a few minor changes.

We are not set on the pricing as of yet, however, we suspect that they will somewhere close (give or take) to other 22lr uppers out on the market.

Basically, a radical design move from your standard style of 22lr uppers, a change that allows for the use of lower power (read sub-sonic ammo) with just the change of a recoil spring. The bolt is heavier than the other "kits" out there allowing a higher threshold to friction....meaning it's going to run longer between cleanings. Other features that set it apart is the use of a Ruger 10/22 extractor, a solid ejector, and a modified AR15 firing pin.....we believe that we took care of any weak link parts that were suspect to breakage over the other kits.

The bolt can be held back by the standard AR15 bolt lock and it's working with ANY hammer. We've used military triggers, and competition triggers and it's been very reliable.

The 3 that we've been testing in house have been running excellent and we've been pouring rounds thru them daily. They've been uber reliable and use standard ceiner style magazines.

As soon as I say when they will be availible....I'll be lying....but we are targeting about a month or 2 down the road before we will start shipping.

I do know that we've been given the go ahead at the Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 gun match to sponsor and run a side match that will use these uppers as well as our 10/22 stocked rifles as well.

There are plans to offer this in a 16" carbine version and an 18" rifle version.

We are also working on a 22 magnum version as well.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

OK, I will chime in......

Presently, we are sending out preproduction units to a few people and companies. For testing and evaluation.

Also, we are setting up to run these in production with a few minor changes.

We are not set on the pricing as of yet, however, we suspect that they will somewhere close (give or take) to other 22lr uppers out on the market.

Basically, a radical design move from your standard style of 22lr uppers, a change that allows for the use of lower power (read sub-sonic ammo) with just the change of a recoil spring. The bolt is heavier than the other "kits" out there allowing a higher threshold to friction....meaning it's going to run longer between cleanings. Other features that set it apart is the use of a Ruger 10/22 extractor, a solid ejector, and a modified AR15 firing pin.....we believe that we took care of any weak link parts that were suspect to breakage over the other kits.

The bolt can be held back by the standard AR15 bolt lock and it's working with ANY hammer. We've used military triggers, and competition triggers and it's been very reliable.

The 3 that we've been testing in house have been running excellent and we've been pouring rounds thru them daily. They've been uber reliable and use standard ceiner style magazines.

As soon as I say when they will be availible....I'll be lying....but we are targeting about a month or 2 down the road before we will start shipping.

I do know that we've been given the go ahead at the Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 gun match to sponsor and run a side match that will use these uppers as well as our 10/22 stocked rifles as well.

There are plans to offer this in a 16" carbine version and an 18" rifle version.

We are also working on a 22 magnum version as well.

Tim

If the weight/balance is close to an AR, that in itself would make me very interested.

I'd also be interested in how accurate they are. Maybe one in a .17HMR would be good too!

Correct, it's all aluminum and steel. With a little plastic that we'll use in the future for a buffer.

We suspect that this won't be competing with the S&W or Colt clones. It won't be in the same price point.

The barrels are 1x16 twist.....just like any standard 22RF barrel. We are using a modified benz chamber to keep the accuracy there, as well as still being able to have a reliable feeding chamber for a semi-auto rifle.

Ditto, on the cool factor, and reliability!!!! IMO, the ruger 10-22 is the yardstick for reliable semi auto rifle, mainly because the mags work, and its a simple design. I think this new ar22, will equal the 10-22, so it looks like Nordic has the market cornered, because the have the 10-22 chassis and the new dedicated upper.

Good work Jarmo and Tim........................Trapr

Here's one of Kenny (our Product Manager) running a mag thru one of our uppers....

Kenny Rockin'

He says..."It's kinda like riding a short roller coaster ride; about the time you start to have fun....the rides over!!"

We're getting him some BlackDog 50 round drums this week :)

One thing to note.....look how far that brass is flying out....Thats a good thing!!

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Tim,

You are a true evil bastard! ;) How dare you tell us all about this and then make us sweat in anticipation until we can get our hands on one of these. I can hardly wait. Put me on the list, if there is a list.

J-Ho