Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoes for competition

Well, I was running around last weekend's match in my desert boots (I live in the desert:P), when I overheard someone say that so-and-so was serious and was wearing baseball cleats.  When I got home, my toes were not feeling the best due to the stops and I was thinking of trying some different footwear.  Any input on what shoes to wear for a match?

I traded in my Salomon Speedcross 3's for a pair of these. I've been using them for the past year, or so.

They felt kind of funny, at first, but I'm used to them now.

Professional-Clown-Shoes-Costume-Supplies-Halloween-New.jpg

Edited by MikieM
32 minutes ago, v1911 said:

Solomon are definitely not for the wide of feet. I can handle them for local matches, but anything more and I have to resort to an old pair of Reebok’s that are Uber comfortable. 

Solomon has wide sizes now.

Hello: I have been using Salomons for about 8 years now. They are a great shoe if they fit your foot. As for keeping the sand out they do a very good job of that. If you need more warmth and water protection get the ones that have Clima Shield. If you need even more protection from dirt, bugs etc. you could get a set of short gaiters like the hikers use. If the Salomons don't fit your foot get a pair of trail running shoes that make your feet feel good when walking in the store. Soccer, baseball and football shoes may not feel good on your feet when you have been standing on them for 6 hours and walking around 7 miles if you paste targets like you should. Thanks, Eric

7 hours ago, brytec said:

Innov8... mudclaw 

They hold up much better than solomon’s too.

I wear a similar trail shoe sometimes, if it’s really dry.

Typically I wear a full-blown cleat with an all rubber sole. Avoid the hard plastic or metal spikes,and cleats work better in gravel than solomon’s by a wide margin. They won’t break your neck on wet wood surfaces, either.

I use a UA cleat similar to these:

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/under-armour-mens-leadoff-rm-baseball-cleats-16uarmldfflwrmblkrbb/16uarmldfflwrmblkrbb

Just got to Academy or Dicks or whomever is local, and pick the cleat with the softest rubber spikes and the most supportive insole.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

In light of the school shooting in Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods has ceased selling firearms and, according to reports, the firearms they have in stock will be destroyed.

I can't speak for the rest of you guys, but as for me I no longer do business with Dick's.

Edited by MikieM
45 minutes ago, MikieM said:

In light of the school shooting in Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods has ceased selling firearms, and according to reports, the firearms they have in stock will be destroyed.

I can't speak for the rest of you guys, but as for me I no longer do business with Dick's.

DITTO

32 minutes ago, AndrewGK said:

Inov8 Roclite 290; went with them cause they were less than $70 on Amazon and looked the best out of all the Inov8 shoes I looked at. I don't have any complaints about them and they double as my hiking / trail running shoes.

I got some of the Talon 200s which have very good grip, I think they share tread patterns. I have issues with the soles flexing and letting shoe roll when coming to a sudden stop sideways. Guessing the 90 grams buys you a more substantial sole.

11 hours ago, MikieM said:

In light of the school shooting in Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods has ceased selling firearms and, according to reports, the firearms they have in stock will be destroyed.

Never a future customer !

Wide feet here.   Have a pair of Speedcross 4 Wide's coming from Zappos---worth a try.  Regular Solomons are too narrow.

Was out shopping yesterday and bought a pair of Altra Lonepeak 3.5's.   Off road mudder/trail shoe.  Decent cleats,  weird

foot shaped toe  box.   COMFORTABLE.    I'll give them a try in a match soon.