Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boss vs Springer hanger for Production

OdinIII

Anyone use both and can compare with experience?

The Boss seems to be the safe choice but I’m leaning toward the RHT kit with racer pouches and his holster with the Springer hanger because the racer pouches seem to have a larger following than the Ghost models from BSPS.

I've got the Springer, it works fine with a relatively light G17.

Looking at the BOSS it appears more robust and probably has more adjustment. I like that the mounting bolts are further apart, and I suspect the longer length keeps it from tipping out as much. If I was buying, I'd probably go that route, but mine was free from a prize table and does what I need it to.

I also use Ghost pouches and have no complaints. If you see any complaints about the wide mounts hitting fingers/hands or not allowing them close enough, they were redesigned over a year ago and the current mounts are no wider than the pouches. There are many about breakage, don't know about that, only a year or so on mine.

I have the Invictus Practical Holster Hanger long version attached via Tek-Lok to the belt. One with a Blade Tech holster and one with a KT Mech AKELA holster. Both are adjustable and fully within production rules.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I got the BOSS hanger with a Comp Tac holster and Ghost mag pouches for my Shadow 2 and the hanger is very robust and has a lot of adjustability. A friend of mine has an Springer precision hanger with RHT holster for his TSO and he likes my BOSS hanger better when we swap for a week. The springer is alright but I like the BOSS hanger better. He ended up selling his Springer Precision hanger and bought the BOSS hanger. Now his setup of BOSS hanger and RHT holster is really, really nice.

Right now, im waiting for my RHT holster for my TSO which will be paired with my other BOSS hanger.

Edited by George16

I shoot Limited, but also use a Kydex holster like most Production shooters use. I have tried both the Boss and the Springer Precision hangers. They both have the same level of adjustability so they are the same in that aspect. The major difference I noticed is how much more comfortable the Springer Precision hanger is. The Boss hanger has a long inner plate that goes down to almost the bottom of the holster body. That inner plate would dig into my leg if I did deep squatting positions or leaned sideways at a steep angle. I actually ended up bending the bottom portion of the plate outward to help it deflect away instead of digging into my leg. The Springer Precision hanger stops right at the holster attachment point so only the holster body touches my leg in these awkward positions and even then the holster easily deflects away without digging in.

Thanks for the comments.

A shooting buddy has offered to loan me his rig with the Blade Tech and Boss until I get a setup. That’ll at least give me real world time with the BT holster and Ghost pouches to see if the BOSS causes me problems similar to CHA-LEE’S and to evaluate the pouches.

Also, another member here has generously offered to send me a BT DOH and some sights for just the shipping charges but I haven’t heard from him in a few days so that may fall through. If that offer works out I’ll probably just buy a belt and pouches to get me by and possibly buy a hanger later if needed. I’ve discovered that I can’t afford to buy powder and primers locally and need to allocate some money to a large powder, primers and bullets order.

16 hours ago, OdinIII said:

I may end up doing that but I was trying to avoid the extra cost. I’m just getting started and I’m trying to make sure I only have to buy my gear one time.

That won't happen no matter what you buy!! The continual buying of stuff is the bread and butter of shooters that think their equipment can change their results. Not trashing anybody...I include my own excessive behavior.

I have two BOSS hangers and find them great. I have no idea how they could be improved. I have used Ghost pouches (in bullets out mode) for two years without any issues whatsoever..

Just because I wanted to, I recently went to Racer pouches and I think they are better made and hold the mags more reliably (even though I never had a Ghost fail in that regard). It you want to convert the Racers to bullets out they present a couple problems with the supplied parts. I have yet to to figure the size and thread count on the attachment screw so I can get one that works. Only problem I have..

Buy whatever you like best because you're going to buy them all eventually.

Edited by Brooke

That won't happen no matter what you buy!! The continual buying of stuff is the bread and butter of shooters that think their equipment can change their results. Not trashing anybody...I include my own excessive behavior.

Buy whatever you like best because you're going to buy them all eventually.

This is terrible advice, sorry. Buy something that works one time and never do it again. I haven't bought new pouches in 4 years and only replaced my belt because it was no longer functional... the incessant buying of different equipment looking for an edge is a guaranteed way to never find the edge. Because the only way to get an edge in this game, is to train more than the other guy.

OP, don't buy ghost pouches. They break. The racers are nice, but don't buy racemasters. CR Speed are still awesome. Haven't heard of issues with Guga Ribas.

OP, see how you're getting different advice from everyone?

I'm shooting my rig that is set up for production but I'm shooting limited. I'm shooting ghost mag pouches. I shoot them bullets out. They've never broke. Though, they do seem kinda cheap but I'm not easy on my equipment so, unless I really hit something hard, I would think they'd be fine.   I shoot a boss hanger. I ate crap hard one stage and fell right on my left side. It bent the bottom of the hanger but still works fine. I had a huge bruse I fell hard!  I've never tried racers but they look like they would work but if they won't do bullets out, then I probably won't use them. I think I'm the only guy shooting a limited with mag oiches behind my hip and bullets out. Indi need to tweak my set up because my pouches are too far behind the hip bone. I got started in IDPA and wanted a set up with them in the smse locations. Anyways.   I would think the SP hanger would be fine too. Like I've said in another thread, you'll get used to anything.  

My advice is try someone else's gear if you can. If you cant, then go with your gut. 

Edited by B_RAD

I've tried SpringerPrecision, Invictus and CR Speed Production hangers with the RHT holster for CO. I found that all of them are either right at 2" or over on the measurement from grip to inside of inner belt (per USPSA rules). It might be worth checking your equipment for legality if you're using any of these hangers.

The invictus has spacers but even without them it was very close to 2".

The double layer kydex pushes the gun out a bit further than blade tech and other single layer holsters. Just about every Production / CO competitor I have seen is likely over the 2" limit… I think some are under the impression that the measurement is from the outside of the belt to the gun. But the measurement to the inside of the inner belt adds about 0.5" to 0.75" to the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2" rule loses a lot of its teeth because the measurement can be made with the equipment removed and sitting on a table (although I wonder how many people also remove the inner belt when they do that).  When done that way, the weight of the gun has no effect like it does while worn.  I've never tried a Springer, but I replaced a DOH hanger with a BOSS.  It's much more rigid and doesn't move as much as the DOH did, plus it's within 2" while worn.  Before they allowed measuring removed, I had to space the DOH bottom screw out with washers.

I have a RHT dual layer for CO and one for PROD. CO setup uses a RHT hanger, the PROD uses a Boss. I prefer the feel of the Boss against my thigh, as there is significantly more surface area I contact. The RHT hanger concentrates that force over a smaller attachment and leaves me with a slight ache after a few hours. Bought the RHT holster/hanger setup first.  Now that I've used a dual layer RHT holster with Boss hanger I've found my preferred setup.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:39 PM, Nathanb said:

Boss is the way to go with the rht double layer kydex.  

I just started running that set up for SS. Had the BOSS hanger with a Comp-Tac holster. Picked up the RHT double layer kydex. Super nicely made, and very stiff. Bolted right up to the BOSS. Pretty much going to be my standard set up now.

Boss with a RHT body is terrific for me.

As a slenderer guy than @CHA-LEE, I find the presence of the extended leg on the BOSS to be a help. Even in a deep squat it doesn’t make it’s presence known with more than a slight bit of pressure. But no matter how hard I sprint, there’s always just enough contact on the outside of the pants to delete any bounce/flop that any other design has had.

We aren’t all the same shape and we don’t move or bend quite the same way. People will be drawn to different brands of gear.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/25/2018 at 12:58 PM, IronArcher said:

I use an RHT hanger, but added a plate to ride on my leg (I like the gun held perfectly vertical)
I just added the spacer to keep it where I like it.

76b6d5b61eca8318e2061f99cc5a8fda.jpg

bb8fb4b3d65482789e2d90d92b3a9ad9.jpg572cf28fa3a02349436e40110bf1b2cf.jpg

Very interesting...

Started with the BOSS on a RHT like everyone else.. got my second RHT holster for my CO gun and decided to get the Springer hanger too and it's on my prod rig now.

I'm thinking of swapping them back because I'm close to 2" after I attended an RO cert class and the instructor measured me.

Boss has the option of getting shorter 1/4 spacers just in case.

Might try this setup on my Springer now

Edited by zeroryde