Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 9mm cases not seating all the time

Just started after maybe 10K-15K 9mm rounds and seem to be getting more frequent. Never did this until recently. I have the needle bearing upgrade on shell plate. It is solidly mounted to bench and bench is screwed to wall. Mixed range brass. Lee & Dillon dies.

Cleaned, disassembled, & lubed complete per video.

Replaced indexer & spring, index pawl & spring. Replaced case insert slide complete & adjusted. 

When I push the roller handle like I normally would thru the cycle there is a small movement of the shell plate and it seems to throw the case off. Almost a click. If I reach around and push the case slightly with my finger it goes into the plate & die. Marked the shell plate slots to see if it was the plate and they all do it at random times. If I very fast and aggressively push the handle it seems to work better and the cases seat most of the time. Primers are seating fine.

Do the shell plates wear out? Replace the ball, spring, & needle bearing? Ideas?

Otherwise call Dillon?

gerritm

9 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Mine will do that every once in a while towards the end of a long loading session.  I think my issue is a buildup of case lube, powder and an occasional piece of media.

Mine was like that before, but now it is happening more frequent and right after a complete clean & lube. Figured by getting it all clean & shiny & replacing those parts would fix it.

gerritm

Cleaned and lubed per video after this started. Doesn't do it all of the time. May load 10 pieces of brass with no problem. So I am not thinking it is mis-aligned. Replaced all parts that I thought would cause it. Has worked fine for many thousands of rounds. Something is changing or wearing out.

gerritm

3 minutes ago, bwikel said:

Make sure your case insert block isn't dragging on the finished round chute when placing a case in the shell plate. 

This might be. I will check. That would make sense as it happens just after you finish the down stroke and the case insert block moves back.

gerritm

Shouldn't wear out nearly that soon. Something Cracked or broken? possibly. Out of alignment? possibly   First thing I would do is tighten the shell plate more. I have a bearing in mine and I tighten mine much tighter than spec to prevent wobble, powder spillage etc. Mine is tight to the point of barely turning by using fingers.

41 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Shouldn't wear out nearly that soon. Something Cracked or broken? possibly. Out of alignment? possibly   First thing I would do is tighten the shell plate more. I have a bearing in mine and I tighten mine much tighter than spec to prevent wobble, powder spillage etc. Mine is tight to the point of barely turning by using fingers.

Tried this. Tightened it to the point where you could feel it drag slightly during the stroke. Didn't seem to help. Not sure what else could be cracked or broken. Replaced all the obvious parts.

Checked the whole machine out when I stripped it to replace the index ring. Thought that might be worn. It is random. Will do 4 or 5 fine and then not seat one. Then will happen for several cases then clear up for a few.  But if I really go fast and hard on the stroke it seems to stop or minimize it happening. Never had to that before.

gerritm

When my shell plate main bolt (large allen) backed out a small amount, it would cause enough misalignment for cases to occasionally not feed into station one with nudging with your finger. 

P.S. I have the roller bearing under the shell plate also.

Not sure I'm completely understanding what you are describing, but make sure the random cases don't have junk in the grove stopping the cases from being fully inserted.  

I've also noticed that after cleaning and lubing, the case slide somehow gets grease on the face and drags the case back out of the shell plate.  Took me a while to figure out why and how the cases seemed to "jump back out".

On 1/5/2018 at 7:00 AM, gerritm said:

Do the shell plates wear out?

I wore one out but it was after 50k rounds. It was the edge of one of the shell holder slots causing the finished round to hang up on the ejection wire whenever that slot came around . Your problem is random. If you carefully examined the plate and it looks OK, it's probably something else.

Think I found it. When I reassembled after cleaning. lubing, and replacing parts I adjusted the camming roller pin too far down. It was just slightly contacting the case feed ramp and stopping some of the cases from fully inserting. Not all. Turned it 1 turn and it is working like normal. Ran about a 100 with no problems. Going to run a bunch this week.

Thanks, gerritm

On 1/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, muncie21 said:

When my shell plate main bolt (large allen) backed out a small amount, it would cause enough misalignment for cases to occasionally not feed into station one with nudging with your finger. 

P.S. I have the roller bearing under the shell plate also.

I had this same problem. That’s why they have the set screw on the bottom. Took me forever to figure this out lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So this has been off and on for awhile. I have done all of your suggestions. Driving me nuts. Checked and re-checked. Went to load some 115gr & 147gr SNS casting bullets for my granddaughter's PCC & son's STI and it got to the point I had to tip every case in.

Talked to a very helpful tech help guy at Dillon from work and he wanted me to be in front of 650 to try some ideas, he did give me some things to try. Went home tried them and still not seating the brass cleanly in this head.

Decided to try my other head  for my open gun. Basically same set up. Ran 200 rounds off of 124gr FMJ bullets with all but a couple seating fine. Maybe tipped 4 or 5, probably bad cases. So pretty normal.

Both heads have worked fine for thousands of rounds, what has change with the one? Any ideas?

Did not call Dillon, yet as they are sending some worn out replacement parts to try first.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

Need some opinions.

Called Dillon and they insisted that it had to be aligned so they sent me an alignment tool and a new case block, station 1 locator, and complete failsafe rod ass. I bought a new clamp style tool head to make sure all was good. 

Followed the directions to align the platform and re-assembled using the new clamp style tool head, old dies, and new replacement parts.

Same problem with the new tool head as with the old one, cases tipping going into the first station. Doesn't matter if it is the only case in the shell plate or it is full. Might even be worse now. Tried changing out the Lee de-capper/sizer die  with a new Dillon, and another Lee that I have. Same thing. Made sure all of the adjustments are correct. 

Decided to try the other old  tool head that worked before that I use for my open loads. Changed out the powder from HS6 to Titegroup. Removed the powder check and put the mini Mr Bullet feeder so the set up is the same as the new & old tool heads that are not working. 

It is working fine. Ran off 300 rounds of my PCC load without a problem. So why is this one working and the others not? If you watch as you bring the case up it tilts and then seems to straiten out just a bit before going into the die unlike the other one where it stays tilted.  Really confused.

Will call Dillon again when I am in front of the machine.

gerritm

Every time I experience this it turns out to be the ejector wire for station 5 has walked up the center bolt. I finally fixed it by putting a "dogleg" bend in the middle of it. What happens is that the wire holds tension on the plastic case inserter and when the inserter withdraws from position 1, it pulls the case back just enough not to line up with the die. Took a while to figure it out (and a number of guess fix parts from Dillon)