Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best lenses to pick up red fo

tcazes

been using the same pair of sunglasses for the last 3 years and just curious, what is the best lens for picking up red fiber optics? im in the market for something with interchangeable lenses so i can swap to clear when shooting indoor matches or low light rainy matches.

FO color is kind of subjective. Yes, green is brighter (technically) but do your eyes pick green up as fast as red? 

I really like the Oakley prizm shooting lenses for the Tombstone Reap glasses. The prizm series really highlights contrast making it a little easier to pick up the fiber. 

I've been running clear lately since it hasn't been as bright, but in the sun those oakley prizms really help. 

If your looking for more generic advice. Red lenses help your eyes contrast their surroundings. How dark or light is up to you depending on where you shoot. 

19 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

FO color is kind of subjective. Yes, green is brighter (technically) but do your eyes pick green up as fast as red? 

I really like the Oakley prizm shooting lenses for the Tombstone Reap glasses. The prizm series really highlights contrast making it a little easier to pick up the fiber. 

I've been running clear lately since it hasn't been as bright, but in the sun those oakley prizms really help. 

If your looking for more generic advice. Red lenses help your eyes contrast their surroundings. How dark or light is up to you depending on where you shoot. 

I'm picking up on a red dot (or green, depending which gun I'm using if shooting 3-gun) instead of a FO, but Oakley Prizm lenses really do make the dot pop out.  Highly recommend them, too.

Hello: The Rudy Project Rydon racing reds will make the red fiber pop. You can do a test by looking at stop lights and see which one you can see better at distance. Some see red better some see green. Indoor I like red but outside I like green. The green laser on my PCC really pops over a red laser I have used before. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I tried green for a while, however here in PA, there's a lot of greenery at the local club matches. I would lose my sight (briefly) during transitions when moving across the green backdrop. 

Not sure if this is just a practice thing, or if others have noticed this too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yellow prescription shooting lenses anyway, so I told my optometrist what I wanted, a focal distance of 30 inches for pistol shooting. He set up an eyechart at that distance, and tried numerous reading lenses on my dominant eye, until one was found that the focus was perfect. He ordered the lense and installed it. Works great, and is good for rifle shooting also.

It takes a couple of minutes for your brain to adjust when you put the glasses on, but after that things are good. The front sight is sharp with whatever color of FO I am using at the time, while the other eye is good for distance. I am able to shoot better with both eyes open now. Many people who get corrective surgery on their eyes, get one eye done for close, and the other for distance, so this concept is not new. The cost was not terribly expensive, and it allows me to be somewhat competitive, despite deteriorating eyesight form advancing age.

• 6 months later...
17 hours ago, tcazes said:

now just struggling to find a frame with interchangeable lenses that i like and is reasonably priced. 

Do yourself a favor and go to the vendor tent here on the forum and use one of the VIP links for Rudy Project, the prices are great.  Look in the clearance area too there may be something you like in there.  There were Rydan shooters kits a couple of weeks ago with multiple lenses.  I am 52 and have had fantastic luck with the optical insert.  I have a couple of different types of red lenses but I would go with a photochromic red lens.  When you see "Laser" lenses in Rudy speak they are mirrored.  They are made in Italy, super quality.  I am Rudy for life now because we are so happy with ours.  Nothing wrong with other brands but check out the prices available to you.  I bought my first pair prior to this forum VIP link and paid a lot.  If you do want corrective lenses there are two type of optical inserts, standard and progressive.

Another ? up for Oakley reap with the 3 interchangeable lenses, 

I have poor eye sight and this set up is fantastic for outdoors and indoors. A little pricey but worth every penny. 

Yes. Red fo and red dot. I will say this though, it largely depends on where I am shooting. I prefer a green dot indoors and on ranges that are brown ie lots of dirt etc. If the range has lots of grass and trees etc I like red. 

I have tried a lot of Oakley lenses including Prizm TR22 and TR45. My current favorite is the Prizm trail. They are not as dark as the TR 22 but they provide excellent contrast for red on brown. On super bright Florida days, I might still use the TR 22