Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 FNH USA 3 GUN CHAMPIONSHIP

another asked for a reshoot because the dust from me walking behind him interfered with his shooting

Wow... just wow.

I gotta remember that one... that's some weapons-grade whining there. Maybe you were going along right behind him and kicking dirt at his feet like an arguing baseball manager.... :roflol:

As for the DQs, I have to echo some of the sentiments already expressed. The ones I saw or heard detailed accounts of were certainly not stage-related. There wasn't really anything approaching a 180 trap. I don't recall any dump barrels that were awkwardly placed or loose or otherwise prone to catching someone out.

My opinion: most of the DQs (all the ones that I know about) were a result of simple lapses in concentration (aka brain farts) or just pushing too hard to go fast (quite a few of the DQs were on the short, simple "drag race" stages).

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another asked for a reshoot because the dust from me walking behind him interfered with his shooting

Wow... just wow.

I gotta remember that one... that's some weapons-grade whining there.

To be fair, that was some weapons-grade dust we were choking on at the end of the stage, so I think lots of shooters were frustrated by it. I can tell you that the most comon response to "Unload and show clear" was "<Caugh><caugh>bleah<spit>Man that was some dust"

What a great match. Thanks to RO's and Staff that ran it. Got to meet some fellow Enos forum folks too.

I've got to say that going down the slide was cool, the long range was well done, and themed stages were neat. Very fun all around!

The only improvement I would offer is a higher round count. I know that would increase shooting time and reset time too, but more targets is more fun.

Already looking forward to next year!

This was our first year attending this match, and wow did it ever deliver.

I’ve never been a fan of the ½ day format, turns out that’s b/c no place I’ve been to that was doing it has done it right. Larry has the recipe down and it’s awesome! I shot more side matches in one day than I’ve shot combined at other matches.

Target presentations were great, I simply chose to shoot a few of them less stellar than others. Larry mentioned the new MGM flasher design at the shooters meeting, but holy smokes... First rifle target of the match for me was the 100 yd flasher on stage 9. I had the scope on 6x and when that thing rocked it freaked me out and I seriously thought it was gonna go around like a spinner. Those things are incredible.

Just a super fun match, beautiful weather and time well spent with some fantastic friends.

Excellent job by the entire staff, FNH USA reps, Linda and sponsors that were out there helping us have fun. Thanks to all of you.

On average there is a 5-8 percent DQ rate at most major matches. We saw everything from safties off to dropped guns to AD's. not one stages had more than others. Across the board there were 2 - 180 violations (more like 240), 6 - unintentional discharges, 4 - dropped firearms, 1 -retrieving a firearm after being grounded and the rest were for safeties off after grounding.

So nothing pointed to stage design or anything the match staff could have prevented. I saw quit a few firearms that were locked open with rounds in the magazines or in the tubes, that is a shooter or firearms malfunction.

We had 345 competitors so the averages are normal, with 8 percent being 26.4 and I think we had 25.

Trust me I will never set up a stage that is a DQ trap.

Larry

Edited by sbmd

Great match . . . . Thanks to Larry, Linda, Howard, the ROs and Larry's mom for the great food. Many thanks to all the sponsors that continue supporting this match and especially FNH USA for their commitment.

I have to agree with everyone else that there were no actual DQ traps anywhere. I asked around, some of the ROs and such, after I started seeing the DQ list pile up; while the 8% figure that Larry mentioned maybe the high end of normal, I think most of the ones I heard about or saw were basically "go fast" errors---the more you push yourself and your equipment, the more likely you are to end up on the wrong side of the ragged edge. And I really think that both the stage design and the scoring system really encouraged people to push themselves at this match. I enjoyed it immensely. Great job Larry, Howard, Linda, and all the many, many outstanding ROs who kept us shooters from having to paste and reset!

Although I was unfortunately one of the DQ's (perhaps characterized as a 'go fast happening'), this remains one my favorite matches thanks to Larry, Linda, Howard and entire staff. As always the stages were about shooting and fantastic in presentation. The decision for equalization of stages was a great one IMHO. It will continue at the top of my must-do again in 2015. My thanks again to all the FNH gang.

I got DQ’ed on stage 1 when I threw my shotgun in the dump barrel and it flopped over on the port side and came to rest with the safety button on the rim of the dump barrel pushing it off. I was running past the barrel from right to left and definitely had the safety on, but not putting it down port side up was the mistake I made.

Fortunately I did get to shoot 7 stages prior to the match ending early for me. I did not see anything that could be even be considered a DQ trap in any of the stage designs. There were 2 other DQ's in our squad prior to me and they were both simply shooter error, nothing to do with stage design.

The longer stages were each a good challenge and test of shooting ability and the short stages tested your balance of speed. The point system is the only way to balance short the short stages with the much longer open terrain stages. IMO it was a fair way to balance the value of each.

Ouch! How short is your shotgun? Mag fed maybe?

Beretta 1301 with + 5 extension. Yes, tell me again how much I need a longer tube.......

Yikes, that sucks. One nice thing about the Mossberg 930, is no cross bolt safety.

I'm still scared to pull the buffer and spring out of the tube on my rifle... I'm pretty sure parts or going to fall out. Cycling it sounded like a rusty barn door closing.

Between that and the barrel nut coming loose :surprise: on Stage 1, I think it's fair to say my rifle might be ready for an overhaul.

Still a great match though.

Not sure about the rest of the stages but stage 1 had 4 DQ's on the second day. Three were hot shotguns with no safeties in the dump barrel and one was for a gentleman tripping which caused his handgun to come out and loose control of it. Tough to see Mr. Miculek and others DQ there for a shotgun safety.

My first match at FNH and it was great. Hats off to Mr. Houck, Mr. Thompson, Mr. Williams, Mrs. Chico and the Church staff for lunch every day.

Look forward to shooting and RO'ing next year.

Hello, The winners of the GT/RTE Side Event:

Ravin Perry 300.00

BJ Norris 125.00

Steve Schroyer 200.00

Scott McGregor 100.00

Frank Riess 100.00

Michael Keef 75.00

Any BE members that have contact info for these shooters,

ask them to email sales@gttargets.com to collect the cash.

thanks, Karl @ GT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any idea of the 2015 dates yet? Probably the 18-20 weekend if they keep the same date area but need to put in leave for 2015 by Dec 31st and want to make sure i get it in for this match.

They are posted in the 2015 3gun schedule thread as Sept 3-5