Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 FNH USA 3 GUN CHAMPIONSHIP

Is there anyone on here who was match staff from stage 8 or 9? In addition to all the blood, sweat, and (many) tears I left behind on that hill, I also left my jacket. Did anyone happen to find a black North Face jacket up there on Friday? Thanks!

It was in "Lost & Found" in stats. Left it in the box when I closed up Saturday. Contact MD Larry Houck.

Thanks Linda!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sitting on the plane heading home from this match! It was a great match! Wish stage 8 & 9 had bigger rifle targets but that's just because I couldn't get them! Larry did a great job directing this match we were on time the entire match... Most of the RO'S were great! Especially stage 8! watched one incendent on stage 2 where two of the RO's corner a shooter who disaggreed with their calls and wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise and raised their voice while he kept calm. Only bad thing I saw.. All it the RO's were great to me! Wish my shooting was better and I'm looking forward to this match next year!

Hello, Preliminary results for the GT Targets/ RTE Targets Side Event

Gold:

Ravin Perry winning time 15.85

BJ Norris

Silver:

Steve Schroyer

Scott McGregor

Bronze:

Frank Riess

Michael Keefe

After all the names & times are confirmed I will list all shooters and times with cash payouts.

the only one that is confirmed is Ravin at $300.00

thanks to all the shooters, we had fun

Karl @ GT

Scott @ RTE

Great match and great staff. They all worked hard and the stages ran very well. I am not a fan of short stages at a major match but they were all well designed and fun to shoot. Larry always does a good job running this match, I know he busts his butt to get the prize table and make sure it all runs well.

! watched one incendent on stage 2 where two of the RO's corner a shooter who disaggreed with their calls and wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise and raised their voice while he kept calm.

I worked stage 2. We made LOTS of people very angry, I don't know which specific incident you are referring to, but it is also possible I missed it completely because I mostly downrange holding the timer or scoring and I referred all issues to the folks at the top of the hill and the CRO.

Believe me when I say that we were not happy about it, and in no way were we trying to be mean to anyone but I've been personally accused by one shooter of trying to ruin his match because I didn't warn him his feet were outside the free fire zone while he was shooting, another asked for a reshoot because the dust from me walking behind him interfered with his shooting as if I had any control over the dust and is just a sample of the type of issues raised. I'd bet 10% or more of the shooters were unhappy at us.

I think a lot of shooters were very frustrated on that stage due to the dust, hard to see targets, and the VERY heavy back target. It felt pretty crappy to make that many shooters unhappy, but we just tried to run the stage for everyone the same way and call the targets the same for everyone.

A big thank you to the Noveske shooters who stayed behind at the end of the match and helped tear down our stage. You guys know who you are, and you rock.

Edited by Vlad

Vlad I enjoyed the match and enjoyed having you run the timer behind me. Things happen and I would just shake it off and go. You were a nice guy doing a tough job. I'd be happy to shoot with you again.

I would like to take a moment to thank publicly the crew on Stage 2. You guys ran your butts off and handled a stage that was probably the most difficult to manage I have ever seen. The safety of the shooters and the staff is the #1 priority. This stage was a challenge. With a clearance time in excess of 4-1/2 minutes and 14 or more people on a squad your downtime as severely limited. It was a near impossible job to get a squad completed in the 90 minutes allotted. Having a couple guys over from Stage 3 helped out and gave you a bit of a break. I know a couple of you never got away to see the side matches. All I can say is Thank You and I'd be happy to work with you all again.

I also thank the shooters on our last squad that stayed over and helped tear down.

I thought the stage points worked well. I am not sure the top times are the right way to 'calibrate', since the best runs almost by definition blow the curve.

What I think it did best was make the short stages (3, 4, 5) mean more. You went in knowing you had to be fast and not miss. In a straight time plus, there would have been a strong case for going a touch slower to avoid penalties. As it was, a 5-second FTN turns into a bunch of stage points, but so does slowing down.

At the other end, I was a little surprised thay Stage 7 was up at 125 points along with 8 and 9, but I think that tracks with, say, the bottom half (or 2/3rds) of the pack.

Overall, I think the scoring worked really well.

! watched one incendent on stage 2 where two of the RO's corner a shooter who disaggreed with their calls and wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise and raised their voice while he kept calm.

I worked stage 2. We made LOTS of people very angry, I don't know which specific incident you are referring to, but it is also possible I missed it completely because I mostly downrange holding the timer or scoring and I referred all issues to the folks at the top of the hill and the CRO.

Believe me when I say that we were not happy about it, and in no way were we trying to be mean to anyone but I've been personally accused by one shooter of trying to ruin his match because I didn't warn him his feet were outside the free fire zone while he was shooting, another asked for a reshoot because the dust from me walking behind him interfered with his shooting as if I had any control over the dust and is just a sample of the type of issues raised. I'd bet 10% or more of the shooters were unhappy at us.

I think a lot of shooters were very frustrated on that stage due to the dust, hard to see targets, and the VERY heavy back target. It felt pretty crappy to make that many shooters unhappy, but we just tried to run the stage for everyone the same way and call the targets the same for everyone.

A big thank you to the Noveske shooters who stayed behind at the end of the match and helped tear down our stage. You guys know who you are, and you rock.

The only complaint I had with stage two was how poorly I shot the rifle tarets. The RO's were nothing but friendly and as helpful as the rules allow. You guys did a great job and as a competitor I appreciate it.

Thank you!

OK, I have to ask the obvious question. What got everybody on the DQ's? Never seen so many prominent names on the list. Stage design? All different DQ's or one general problem? Just curious.

gerritm

I think it was all different things and I don't know of any that were related to a specific stage design or rule. There were a few injuries on the slide. Nothing seemed unreasonable.

There were no DQ traps, most of them I'm aware of were dropped guns or not on safe abandoned guns. In years past, there were several DQs for grounding 2 guns in the same container, but stage design this year really prevented that from even being possible. Seems like I heard of a DQ for holstering a hot handgun, and another for grounding a long gun, then going back to get it. A few ADs too.

Most of the stages were a lot of fun. All of the stages lived up to their namesakes.

Larry, Howard, and crew (AJ Williams especially) put a lot of work into this match and it shows. This is not a "lets throw some targets over there" match. The choice targets this year were very well thought out, so much that after I shot a couple stages I wondered "how would it have gone if I'd used a different gun."

Thanks to all the ROs, Linda Chico, Cole and the gang at Peacemaker, and Larry's mother's church group for the great food. Thanks to all the sponsors that continue supporting this match, and especially FNH for all their staff commitment to it.

I got DQ’ed on stage 1 when I threw my shotgun in the dump barrel and it flopped over on the port side and came to rest with the safety button on the rim of the dump barrel pushing it off. I was running past the barrel from right to left and definitely had the safety on, but not putting it down port side up was the mistake I made.

Fortunately I did get to shoot 7 stages prior to the match ending early for me. I did not see anything that could be even be considered a DQ trap in any of the stage designs. There were 2 other DQ's in our squad prior to me and they were both simply shooter error, nothing to do with stage design.

The longer stages were each a good challenge and test of shooting ability and the short stages tested your balance of speed. The point system is the only way to balance short the short stages with the much longer open terrain stages. IMO it was a fair way to balance the value of each.

I forgot to add that although I am a t-shirt and jeans guy, I really enjoy the banquet for awards. From the presentation of a skirt and toaster, to recognizing the match staff, having the SVP of FNH speak, and dinner and drinks, I think this classy evening is the perfect way to cap the match.

OK, I have to ask the obvious question. What got everybody on the DQ's? Never seen so many prominent names on the list. Stage design? All different DQ's or one general problem? Just curious.

A heck of a lot of the DQ's were weapons dumped in unsafe conditions. Handguns with safeties off and ammo in them, rifles with safeties off and ammo in them but also a heck of a lot of shotguns left hot or locked back but with ammo in the mag.

I think a lot of people assume "bolt locked back, gun must be empty", but that wasn't always true.

This was my first time at FNH, and i loved it. I got to need Larry more than once and he is a great guy. First time was for my buddy speedy, second was on our return trip from the hospital when i explained and admitted i was speeding and offered my 10 dollars for my ticket which he did not take given the circumstances.

Match staff was amazing, most stages ran perfectly without any issues and every RO was friendly helpful.

If this match doesn't run the same weekend as blue Ridge next year you can count on me returning.

I got DQ’ed on stage 1 when I threw my shotgun in the dump barrel and it flopped over on the port side and came to rest with the safety button on the rim of the dump barrel pushing it off. I was running past the barrel from right to left and definitely had the safety on, but not putting it down port side up was the mistake I made.

Fortunately I did get to shoot 7 stages prior to the match ending early for me. I did not see anything that could be even be considered a DQ trap in any of the stage designs. There were 2 other DQ's in our squad prior to me and they were both simply shooter error, nothing to do with stage design.

The longer stages were each a good challenge and test of shooting ability and the short stages tested your balance of speed. The point system is the only way to balance short the short stages with the much longer open terrain stages. IMO it was a fair way to balance the value of each.

Ouch! How short is your shotgun? Mag fed maybe?

Ouch! How short is your shotgun? Mag fed maybe?

Beretta 1301 with + 5 extension. Yes, tell me again how much I need a longer tube.......

post-11348-0-97487400-1411395059_thumb.j