Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wish list of Rule changes

dskinsler83

What would you guys like to see changed in the rules of IDPA? Personally I think slightly uping the round count and no mag retention would be more fun and lighten up on the gun restrictions. I know the die hard IDPA shooters will burn me for that and say shoot USPSA (which I do) but still it would be more fun. I started in IDPA but it really has gotten boring to an extent

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a few of my local shooters:

----------------------

Make a match bump count as a classifier

Centralized classification

Add fault lines

Eliminate round dumping penalty

Allow knee pads

Allow .40 & 10MM that make 165 to compete in CDP (still @ 8+1)

Allow all striker-fired pistols in SSP. It's about time for the XD.

Stiffer penalties for dropping points or tagging a no-shoot.

Up the weight restrictions in ESP. My CZ 75 Tactical Sports while yes, not a daily carry piece, is just under the current ESP weight limit without a magazine. Adding the magazine sadly pushes it over the limit... :(

Make a match bump count as a classifier

Meaning what? This way you don't have to re-classify every year or something?

I believe that is the intent of the proposal. If you've been reclassified by a match bump, that should count as your classifier for the year.

Remove the 'must be an IDPA member to shoot 2 matches' rule that's largely ignored anyway. (Charge 'em an extra $2 to get the revenue and encourage them to join if they're active enough)

Much more likely to get occasional-shooters and occasional crossover-shooters that way.

Up the weight restrictions in ESP. My CZ 75 Tactical Sports while yes, not a daily carry piece, is just under the current ESP weight limit without a magazine. Adding the magazine sadly pushes it over the limit... :(

I doubt the TS fits in the box anyway and unless they do away with the dust cover rule a stock TS would still be illegal.

Do away with ssr and esr as separate divisions, www revolver shooters are a small enough group already. Sucks that I went from ssr master to ESR unclassified even though I'm still shooting the same gun.

Reloads with retention shouldn't be required for revolvers, ever try getting a partial moon clip back into a cylinder?

Reload behind cover, I understand the concept, but there have been several courses of fire, that by design leave a revolver out in the open and we have to move several feet before gettingto cover and being able to start a reload. If it's a "tactical" game then there should not be rules in place that force you to hang out with an empty gun, kinda silly :)

I shouldn't get involved but .....

1) Get rid of the rule against round dumping, it can be hard to call correctly and half the time is self correcting.

2) Require fault lines to clearly define cover. It's to subjective to call fairly 100% of the time as it is now.

3) Move ALL striker fired pistols into ESP, leaving SSP for true double action pistols only.

4) Make ESP and CDP rules identical except for the following:

a) ESP 10 rd mag's, CDP 8rd mags

B) ESP 125 power factor, CDP 165 power factor

c) Approve all calibers for ESP and CDP with a .355" bore or larger

5) Raise the standards for becoming a SOI, and formalize the training to become a SO.

6) Create a clear route to become a DM other then HQ randoming selecting people (make it earnable), and properly monitor it with monthly updating.

7) Formalize the classification system, require the scores be submitted to HQ, and properly monitor and update the classification system monthly.

8) Only allow the difference in classification in different divsions to vary by one step except for DM's. If DM in one division, should be DM in all divisions.

9) Allow knee pads and cleats, these are safety items just like ear and eye protection.

10) Get rid of the point's system for the World Shoot.

1. Eliminate Round Dumping rule - there is no way to properly I force it.

2. Allow knee pads.

3. Allow fault lines

4. Allow empty mags to be discarded when there is a round in the chamber.

5. Allow the XD into SSP

What would you guys like to see changed in the rules of IDPA? Personally I think slightly uping the round count and no mag retention would be more fun and lighten up on the gun restrictions. I know the die hard IDPA shooters will burn me for that and say shoot USPSA (which I do) but still it would be more fun. I started in IDPA but it really has gotten boring to an extent

1. Creat a tactical division in which those of us with duty guns that have lights on them can play, also allow lasers, red dots on the slide etc. Basically a division to test the current crop of new technology for carry guns. In this division allow guns to be loaded to capacity.

2. Get rid of the penalty for dropping partially loaded mags. Most of the real world has gone away from tactical reloads its time IDPA does too.

3. Change ESR to allow 8 shot revolvers.

Pat

...rule changes are beneficial if they provide the shooter with a lesser obtrusive shooting experience but most shoot IDPA because of the way the rules are now.

as long as IDPA doesn't become USPSA Jr. Rule changes are fine.

Id love a rule book instead of a suggestion pamplet.

The vague, contradictory and undefined verbiage in IDPA's pamphlet leads to constant problems heartaches and lack of consistency. IDPA HQ doesnt even follow their own suggestions.

Verbs like "should" or "encouraged" to have no place in a rule book.

...rule changes are beneficial if they provide the shooter with a lesser obtrusive shooting experience but most shoot IDPA because of the way the rules are now.

as long as IDPA doesn't become USPSA Jr. Rule changes are fine.

+1. that what sets IDPA appart from the others.

Trash all of the mag change rules. Allow speed reloads or whatever the heck you want to do.

No more 1-1-2-1-1, or 3 shots this stage and 2 shots that stage.

Stop the no-shoot overlays that are tight enough to be SWAT sniper work instead of a pistol shot.

And Amen to what Joe4d said above!! If something is not a "rule", why do we ever talk about it?

Edited by JD45

1. OK

2. OK but you can only carry the minimum round count for each stage +10%; make you THINK about abandoning ammunition.

3. No, put them in CDP along with the 8 shot autos. You may NOT obsolete my M25.

I would be fine with 8 shot revolvers in CDP. However I am against the worring about ammunition thing. Keep the max load out what it is (2 spare mags) If they dump the mag and run out before the end of the stage its on them.

pat

I shouldn't get involved but .....

1) Get rid of the rule against round dumping, it can be hard to call correctly and half the time is self correcting.

2) Require fault lines to clearly define cover. It's to subjective to call fairly 100% of the time as it is now.

3) Move ALL striker fired pistols into ESP, leaving SSP for true double action pistols only.

4) Make ESP and CDP rules identical except for the following:

a) ESP 10 rd mag's, CDP 8rd mags

B) ESP 125 power factor, CDP 165 power factor

c) Approve all calibers for ESP and CDP with a .355" bore or larger

5) Raise the standards for becoming a SOI, and formalize the training to become a SO.

6) Create a clear route to become a DM other then HQ randoming selecting people (make it earnable), and properly monitor it with monthly updating.

7) Formalize the classification system, require the scores be submitted to HQ, and properly monitor and update the classification system monthly.

8) Only allow the difference in classification in different divsions to vary by one step except for DM's. If DM in one division, should be DM in all divisions.

9) Allow knee pads and cleats, these are safety items just like ear and eye protection.

10) Get rid of the point's system for the World Shoot.

I disagree with your request to move all striker fired pistols to ESP. The vast majority of guns in SSP nowadays are striker fired, you'd end up having SSP participation just above revolver instead of at the top of the chart as is now.

I like the fault line idea, in matches that I've worked we call them advisory lines :o)